MTZIGG May 24, 2016 @ 5:44pm
developer ratings
Is there or can we see any kind of USER rating for developers?
Can we block games from showing up from XXXXX developer so you never see any of their crap again?

EDIT: All the above to also include a seperate rating for publisher's
Last edited by MTZIGG; May 25, 2016 @ 8:46pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
MalikQayum May 24, 2016 @ 5:50pm 
there is no developer "rating" because you are not "rating" the developer u are "rating" the game(s).. does that make sense to you ?
MTZIGG May 24, 2016 @ 5:56pm 
No I keep seeing garbage put out from A dev .I will not name. But it would be nice to see a rating from the DEV before you read all the BS marketing So you could see their history
All this new crap like EA preorder and stuff like that needs some kind of DEV rating Just a question an an opinion ;-)
OneMore May 24, 2016 @ 6:14pm 
that would be horrible...

You are talking one of the THE biggest fanboy debates of all time.

People would downvote a dev just because they are another dev's rival or just out of spite. One game could crush the developer review leaving it pointless and really have no narrative.

One mistake, the dev is done...I don't like that idea.

I can see it now:

"Wow, Electronic Arts allows THIS on steam but not THIS? DOWNVOTING"

Also in regarding to Early Access...you realize of course MOST developers in the Early Access scene are one game wonders right? So if the next new hyped game is coming that's EA....the dev rating wont do a dang thing
OneMore May 24, 2016 @ 6:16pm 
Also what if they PUBLISHED a game, not developed it? What if people don't understand that and see... I dunno, Deep Silver on the splash screen, assume it's a dev, then down vote them?

Zetikla May 24, 2016 @ 9:15pm 
I dont trust the community not to misuse such tool so no
toad_004 May 25, 2016 @ 8:18am 
Originally posted by Zetikla:
I don't trust the community not to misuse such tool so no

A person can misuse a car to run someone over, therefore people shouldn't be allowed to drive.
A person can misuse steam discussions to call someone a racial slur, therefore people shouldn't be allowed to have steam discussions.

Do you see the issue with this logic?

Originally posted by Moon:
People would downvote a dev just because they are another dev's rival or just out of spite. One game could crush the developer review leaving it pointless and really have no narrative.

You act as though this doesn't already happen with games themselves. People do vote down a devs game's just because they hate the dev. At least this would divert some of those votes (and possibly, allow a review that is clearly against the DEV to be deleted or moved to the appropriate section).

I also don't see why the general public's view of a developer or publisher shouldn't be available to the public, fair or otherwise. Pretty much any argument against this could be used against user reviews, period. Why should game reviews specifically be allowed but developer reviews not?

I also like the idea of being able to filter a developer or publisher out if I don't like them. It would make it easier to see and find games I might actually want to purchase.
nickname May 25, 2016 @ 10:36am 
This would cause fanboy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ so no.
I've no problem with the idea. I do think you'll have better luck selling Colon-Blast Brand Hot Sauce in Hell than you will of getting your suggestion implemented here. You might be better off trying to start up your own service or site or blog or whatever, where you can go about collating data on your own and posting it for anyone who wants to use it in their decision-making. Steam/Valve itself seems largely concerned much more with sheer mass quantity than quality with regards to what they put out, who they allow to put it out, etc.

Good luck getting something sorted out to your satisfaction. :)
MalikQayum May 25, 2016 @ 11:02am 
well, you do not judge a book by its cover but by its content.
Start_Running May 25, 2016 @ 12:59pm 
With such a feature I doubt there would be a dev higher than a mixed rating. At best it would be pointless and at worst, crippling to smaller devs due to group blackmail.

II really wonder how people have such bad luck with the recommendation and discovery cues. What are you doing to make them think that you like games of that type? I Mean seriously, more times than not those recommendations are reasonabvle for me. When I was on a Warhammer bingeI saw frequent appearances of other warhammer games and warhammer-like games .
OneMore May 25, 2016 @ 5:46pm 
Originally posted by toad_004:
Originally posted by Zetikla:
I don't trust the community not to misuse such tool so no

A person can misuse a car to run someone over, therefore people shouldn't be allowed to drive.
A person can misuse steam discussions to call someone a racial slur, therefore people shouldn't be allowed to have steam discussions.

Do you see the issue with this logic?

Originally posted by Moon:

You act as though this doesn't already happen with games themselves. People do vote down a devs game's just because they hate the dev. At least this would divert some of those votes (and possibly, allow a review that is clearly against the DEV to be deleted or moved to the appropriate section).

I also don't see why the general public's view of a developer or publisher shouldn't be available to the public, fair or otherwise. Pretty much any argument against this could be used against user reviews, period. Why should game reviews specifically be allowed but developer reviews not?

I also like the idea of being able to filter a developer or publisher out if I don't like them. It would make it easier to see and find games I might actually want to purchase.

Okay so first, you are the worst debater for the sole purpose of your slippery slope arguement. Of course people misuse stuff, but cars fuel society. We need them. Someone running people over or driving drunk has 0 correlation to the current discussion. Steam discussions have mods, censorships and heck society itself to try to fight this problem. Also Cars....steam discussions...like comparing apples to reproductive organs. It's a poor arguement, stop using it.

2nd. The fact it's already happening is exactly my point. It would be doubled. The current review system is so messed up it's beyond fixing and we just have to sift through the reviews to find legit ones. With developer pages...it'd be the same....freaking....thing. It bring nothing NOTHING new, just another obstacle, another toxic enviroment. In fact it would probably be worse. Cause at least with a game you HAVE to have played it to reviewed it. While a dev page probably means you just gotta play ONE game. Which means there is a high chance of a dev being reviewed because of ONE GAME. The review section is mainly focused on the game itself with the exception of Early access questioning the integrity of the devs.....but...since they already do that.....why have a page? but I digress, I move on to the next point.

3rd. Never did I say the public's view shouldnt be represented.

4th. Sorting the devs out in a search is fine, reviewing a dev, isn't. I wouldnt mind sorting out Ubisoft or another company that requires another DRM or doesn't ever include achievements....but this has 0 to do with reviewing the dev.
Start_Running May 25, 2016 @ 5:55pm 
And combine that most Gamers can't make the distinction between a developer and publisher.
or the fact that there is such a thing as contractual development. I.e Someone pays you to develop a game for them in which case you more or less have to put in the features they say.
Last edited by Start_Running; May 25, 2016 @ 5:59pm
OneMore May 25, 2016 @ 8:41pm 
Originally posted by Start_Running:
And combine that most Gamers can't make the distinction between a developer and publisher.
or the fact that there is such a thing as contractual development. I.e Someone pays you to develop a game for them in which case you more or less have to put in the features they say.

Like Gearbox and 3D Realms
MTZIGG May 25, 2016 @ 8:46pm 
Originally posted by MalikQayum:
there is no developer "rating" because you are not "rating" the developer u are "rating" the game(s).. does that make sense to you ?
But we already have a game rating system ;-)
Relaxo May 26, 2016 @ 1:10am 
:yay:
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 24, 2016 @ 5:44pm