Overson Jan 25, 2017 @ 9:28am
Subscription service
Ok, so you know how Origins has Origins Access where you get games for free for $5 a month? What if steam did something like that. Not every game, but something like that. I think it would bring in a lot of people
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Start_Running Jan 25, 2017 @ 10:03am 
Origin can do that because they own all the games. When you have to deal with the games of other people you either pay a lump sum up front (which means you stand a chance of losing money on the service, or you work out how the rather small monthly fee is split.

IT's not gonna happen, since generally where these sort of systems are set up Amazon Unlimited, spotify, etc, the publishers/developers are the ones who get screwed royally and they simply are not going to sign up for that.

It's not even that great for the user either since it encourages packages not unlike your cable company and we know how well that works out.
Lucas Jan 25, 2017 @ 10:19am 
I mean there is humble bundle monthly which includes a group of steam games for £12 a month. Most of the money goes to charity so you can feel good while you waste away in a chair.
Start_Running Jan 25, 2017 @ 10:25am 
Originally posted by Lucas:
I mean there is humble bundle monthly which includes a group of steam games for £12 a month. Most of the money goes to charity so you can feel good while you waste away in a chair.

That's charity,. Might surprise you but aside from allowing the publishers to support a cause, in many cases, such donations also carry a tax incentive.
Washell Jan 25, 2017 @ 10:27am 
If you're paying $5 a month, the games aren't free...
HEART Jan 25, 2017 @ 10:38am 
Originally posted by 口∨モ尺ち口れ:
I think it would bring in a lot of people
Steam already has A LOT OF PEOPLE
Well I guess you could pay a subscription service to get access to Valve's own games for $5 a month.

......or you could save up $5 a month for four months and get Portal 2, save up $5 a month for two months and get Portal, save up $5 a month for two months and get Half Life 2, etc.
Gwarsbane Jan 25, 2017 @ 11:13am 
Originally posted by Quint the House Gecko:
Well I guess you could pay a subscription service to get access to Valve's own games for $5 a month.

......or you could save up $5 a month for four months and get Portal 2, save up $5 a month for two months and get Portal, save up $5 a month for two months and get Half Life 2, etc.

Or save up till the next sale and get the pack of all valves games for 30 or 40 dollars at most.
Start_Running Jan 25, 2017 @ 11:18am 
Originally posted by Gwarsbane:
Originally posted by Quint the House Gecko:

Or save up till the next sale and get the pack of all valves games for 30 or 40 dollars at most.
BUt, they say, I could play through all of valve's games in a month, for only $5 and then cancel my subscription. Win-for-me.
Gold Jan 25, 2017 @ 10:27pm 
When, they could have done that in the beginning. But Steam is almost 14 years old now, doing it nowadays wouldn't be a good idea.
Start_Running Jan 26, 2017 @ 12:17am 
Originally posted by Whiteout:
When, they could have done that in the beginning. But Steam is almost 14 years old now, doing it nowadays wouldn't be a good idea.
Had they done it in the begining, they'd pretty much be the same as Uplay is right now.
Randomm Jan 26, 2017 @ 1:39am 
Eh, No thanks.
Locuust Jan 26, 2017 @ 6:13am 
Don't encourage yet another company to switch to a "as a service" model and charge a monthly fee. The slippery slope is when they start moving more features that were once free under the subscription. I would not be surprised if steam tried to start charging for multiplayer matching. Try is the operative word here. I don't think many steam customers would stand for it. But it would still be disruptive and leave us without the feature for a month or more until it got sorted. Even then we might be offerred "premium" services for a fee.

Nope, not a good idea, imo.
Overson Jan 26, 2017 @ 8:00am 
Originally posted by Locuust:
Don't encourage yet another company to switch to a "as a service" model and charge a monthly fee. The slippery slope is when they start moving more features that were once free under the subscription. I would not be surprised if steam tried to start charging for multiplayer matching. Try is the operative word here. I don't think many steam customers would stand for it. But it would still be disruptive and leave us without the feature for a month or more until it got sorted. Even then we might be offerred "premium" services for a fee.

My point was that if nothin. Changed, but you could pay a subscription fee for the valve games and other third-party games that the devs approve, but nothing else. That's all I was saying
Black Blade Jan 26, 2017 @ 9:50am 
Originally posted by Locuust:

I think Valve is smart enough to know what up rower that will make, and there for will never try it
If at all they done it all ready with the trading cards system :D:
HLCinSC Jan 26, 2017 @ 10:39am 
It's a solid proven business strategy. It's worked across all media including books(kindle unlimited), music(Google Play Music, iTunes Radio, spotify, pandora), movies(amazon/netflix/hulu), tv shows(amazon/netflix/hulu), and even games (PS+, XBLive, Humble Monthly Bundle, Origin Access). I'm glad PC gaming is now finally receiving more options like that and Humble Bundle's Monthly as well as EA's Origin Access have proven their is both a consumer demand and third party interest in such services.

Basically, if they approached it as all the core/basic features were free and the paid subscribers money goes towards premium content like a rotating selection of "free" games each month, more access to betas, more free weekends, additional/members only discount, etc... These offerings would be subsidized by the subscribers membership fees and obviously negotiated by Steam. So in other words stuff that devs and pubs aren't willing or don't have the resources to give away for free to all Steam members and need an additional financial incentive provided by Steam using those paid subscribers membership fees so it is less of a risk.

Most pople seemed to object because of the slippery slope premise meaning they're afraid what might be optional at first would become mandatory later kind of like how PS+ went on the transition from PS3 to PS4
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 25, 2017 @ 9:28am