Covid-20 May 29, 2017 @ 3:05am
** FINDING A FRIEND **
Can we pleAse have a chat about the friend finding.
I play along side some cracking peps in ONWARD and BATTLE ZONE and ASSETTO CORSA and as we all know none of this is updated in the 'played with recently' or the other option of (god help us all) 'search' for a friend that brings up 254 options with no other information than gif
Last edited by Covid-20; May 29, 2017 @ 3:05am
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Black Blade May 29, 2017 @ 4:22am 
If you want to add someone ask for there profile URL its the fastest way to do it

Some games dont support the "played with recently" if you want it ask the Dev to add support for it
Covid-20 May 29, 2017 @ 4:46am 
soz but i feel trying to remember anything and being in the zone are two different places for my head also this stuff should work why not ?
Gwarsbane May 29, 2017 @ 5:39am 
After you ask them for their steam profile URL, take a screenshot of it....
Covid-20 May 29, 2017 @ 6:03am 
your assuming a lobby with text and a keyboard and again you havent mentioned the fact the friend search doesnt work well enough to find people youve just played with, I mean even to the point of just taking the 'tab' away for 'people youve just played with' that doesnt work at all
Nikki May 29, 2017 @ 6:28am 
Originally posted by Gwarsbane:
After you ask them for their steam profile URL, take a screenshot of it....
You're assuming there is text chant, and the other user has their profile url memorsied to the point they can type it in anywhere.
Last edited by Nikki; May 29, 2017 @ 6:28am
Gwarsbane May 29, 2017 @ 6:30am 
I don't think I have ever seen a game that has voice chat support, but no text chat support. And already mentioned was that not all games support "played with recently"

Searching for a name has never been good as there are so many variations of names, and then if people include special characters in their name it makes it harder and then there is the fact that many people can have the same name. You can also have a different steam url to what your name is.

So either ask them to put it into text, or ask them to spell it out while you are writing it down. Take a few seconds out of the game to do that if its so important for you. Get game recorder and when they say what it is, record video of it.
Last edited by Gwarsbane; May 29, 2017 @ 6:30am
Covid-20 May 29, 2017 @ 6:41am 
I don't think I have ever seen a game that has voice chat support, but no text chat support.

Onward VR, you clearly have a lot of games and are a knight of the realm for experiance, and are set on a tv, please go and support VR it is breath taking, you do need a top cooled pc and a tip top GPU no texting though
Last edited by Covid-20; May 29, 2017 @ 6:44am
Gwarsbane May 29, 2017 @ 9:28am 
Not voice to text which is what I think you think I mean. Voice chat, as in you talk with people in the game with your voice and they hear you. Lots of multiplayer games have it games have it. Again I don't think there is one game on steam that has voice chat that doesn't also have text chat.

And being on VR or other stuff like that has nothing to do with it, you can simply ask them to type it out and take a screenshot with steam.

If you want people to show up in the "recently played with" then the game has to support it, again thats 100% up to the game developer/publisher, not Valve.

Searching through 150 million active accounts (300+ million accounts total) for a name you seen in game is not going to be very good. Again because of the fact that the steam urls for a profile can be different from the name they have in game, along with the fact that people like names that are not always unique. They can also use special character in their names which you might not actually be able to see as a special character.

So really there is not much else steam could do to make finding someone easier. Some of it has to fall on the users to do it themselves.
Covid-20 May 29, 2017 @ 10:18am 
Onward VR only has voice chat
Last edited by Covid-20; May 29, 2017 @ 10:19am
Covid-20 May 29, 2017 @ 10:19am 
Battle zone VR only has voice chat

Covid-20 May 29, 2017 @ 10:20am 
Sports bar VR only has voice chat
Covid-20 May 29, 2017 @ 10:25am 
If steam just sits back and doesnt push for this 'peeps you just played with' because its for us to do then it will never work they may as well remove this pointless and unusable feature.
Gwarsbane May 29, 2017 @ 4:23pm 
Voice chat only in those games are 100% upto the developers of the games. And no need to post 3 times in a row like that, this isn't an instant messaging program.

Also YET AGAIN its up to the developer/publisher of the game to include the stuff for steam to detect who you last played with. So YOU NEED TO ASK THEM to include it. Valve can't just look at each game and figure it out themselves, they don't have the source code for the game. Without the game telling Steam "This person played on this server and that person also played on this server and they played together" then there is no way for Steam to know that.

As far as I know, there is nothing else Valve can do to make finding someone you just played with easier then it already is.
Black Blade May 30, 2017 @ 7:55am 
Originally posted by A1M2:
soz but i feel trying to remember anything and being in the zone are two different places for my head also this stuff should work why not ?
The Developer adds that ability, Valve cant just know you are on the same server and played togader without the game letting them know abut it, its basically impsobile if Valve is not going to do it them self per a game, that is crazy talk

Originally posted by Gwarsbane:
Voice chat only in those games are 100% upto the developers of the games. And no need to post 3 times in a row like that, this isn't an instant messaging program.

Also YET AGAIN its up to the developer/publisher of the game to include the stuff for steam to detect who you last played with. So YOU NEED TO ASK THEM to include it. Valve can't just look at each game and figure it out themselves, they don't have the source code for the game. Without the game telling Steam "This person played on this server and that person also played on this server and they played together" then there is no way for Steam to know that.

As far as I know, there is nothing else Valve can do to make finding someone you just played with easier then it already is.
Well i cant remember the game but there is at least one game i know that has only voice chat no text
Also a lot to all of the VR games are like that, simply as you do not have a real keyboard there, and reading over all is hard in a VR game when you have the glass on

So i can understand why there will be no text chat

@OP abut that point how ever your unique URL is A1M2 that you done your self, you can tell them that, and they can use that to find you in search, or just type it into the profile url like so:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/<Unique URL>

That will need to work on the matter to help you
But over all its much easier for the users if the Dev just adds the support for the played recently with feather
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 29, 2017 @ 3:05am