Dobro Abdulova Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:28am
Failed to start game (unknown error)
Bought Torchlight and Orcs must die 2. Both games start at one and the same error. Tried google but did not help. Even written in support, is now waiting for an answer, and it will be delayed for a week. That's the error "Failed to start game (unknown error)", can anyone knows what to do in such a situation?
Last edited by Dobro Abdulova; Nov 27, 2012 @ 1:46am
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
< >
Rapis Nov 28, 2012 @ 2:43am 
I bought Portal 2 and when launching the game it comes up with "Failed to start game (unknown error). It's been over a week since i've had this issue and my Arma dayz combination won't even play.
Stryker Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:28pm 
I am having this issue with OMD2 aswell. I contacted steam but i am having no luck
Guybrush Threepwood™ Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:35pm 
I can tell you exactly what valve support will tell you.
They will paste about 10 knowledge base wiki's into an email and tell you to try them and come back.

Then when that doesnt work and you go back to them to tell them the results, they'll insult your intelligence and close the ticket.

Thats generally what happens
Last edited by Guybrush Threepwood™; Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:35pm
Stryker Dec 4, 2012 @ 7:02pm 
I figure that is what will happen. I talked with someone from Robot about OMD2 and they do not know what is wrong and they believe it is on steam's end of the problem
Rapis Dec 4, 2012 @ 7:34pm 
I spoke to someone about it and they reckon that i'd just need to make sure the newest version of steam was working. Load of hogwash! I thought Steam might actually be a company that had great customer service. Obvisouly got my expectaions up too high.
Dobro Abdulova Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:53am 
Decided the problem. Just run the game with a shortcut.
SK T1 Jemb_08 Jan 3, 2013 @ 9:35pm 
do these examples help with mac?
Rune Of Punishment Jan 10, 2013 @ 4:46am 
i had this problem with DOTA2 since yesterday and still happen until now.

did reinstall DX, vcredist and even delete steam folder (leaving steam.exe and steamapps folder behind) still does not work.
solution for me was start steam with 'run as admin'
i'm using win 8
Sapo Feb 16, 2013 @ 6:54pm 
Same here, with DOTA 2. It used to work, but since some days ago, I cannot run DOTA2 or any steam game.

In my case, even I start steam as admin, the game does not run. I use windows 7.
SK T1 Jemb_08 Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:03pm 
Have you met the requirements for the game? If not you need to have the required software for the game.
Im Wize Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:06pm 
I'm trying to get my ABP Reloaded working, but it has just been staying on the install window for about 2 hours now. I tried cancelling it, and then doing it again, but it just stays at "Installing: Step 1 out of 1". If anyone has a solution to my issue, it will be very much appreciated!
Pfc. Mendes [1st RB] May 12, 2013 @ 1:18pm 
Same error here - I have Orcs must die 2 and Torchlight 2 and gets me "Failed to start game (Unknown Error)".
smexy_toothbrush May 20, 2013 @ 1:31pm 
im having it to whit team fortress 2
Turtles May 20, 2013 @ 3:00pm 
There's a thread specific to TF2 with the same problem. We've notice that it's mostly been Mac users with the problem.
SK T1 Jemb_08 May 24, 2013 @ 6:43pm 
check if you have the requirements
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50