jamesp Nov 22, 2012 @ 5:39pm
Mods and What's going wrong?
Recently I bought this game and really wanted it because of the many mods there seems to be available. Since then I downloaded the mods, initialized them, and every time I go to play, the game crashes before it even loads. I thought that this could be an issue with the mods themselves so I attempted to do the same with many different mods, only one, etc. and the same thing continues to occur...the game gets to the load screen and then crashes. Now when I play without the mods the game plays pretty well for a little while, but unless I save it after a few moves, it will also crash.

This is the computer I am currently using:

Windows XP Professional
Motherboard: XPS 630i
Basic Input Output Systme(BIOS): Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Central Processing Unit(CPU): Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Physical Memory X 4
1024MB
1024MB
1024MB
1024MB
Hard Disk: WDC WD75 01AALS-75J7B SCSI Disk Device (699GB)
Video Card X 2
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
Keyboard: USB Human Interface Device
Keyboard: Logitech HID-compliant Unifying keyboard
Mouse: Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Mouse
Mouse: HID-compliant mouse

Any advice would be appreciated.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Gus the Crocodile Nov 22, 2012 @ 5:41pm 
Uh...which game?
Kiya Nov 22, 2012 @ 5:51pm 
Remove all mods, then in the steam client, right click on the game in your library list, select properties from the dropdown list and in the local files tab, select verify integrity of game cache.

If the game runs fine after that, try adding the mods back one at a time and test each one to see if it causes the game to crash before adding another.
jamesp Nov 22, 2012 @ 8:34pm 
Thanks Kiya I will try that. Sorry, I should have mentioned it was CIV5 I was discussing.
jamesp Nov 23, 2012 @ 9:49am 
Well, I did what you said to do Kiya and it worked for the one Mod I tried. I will attempt to try others and hopefully this solved the issue. Thanks again for your help.
jamesp Nov 23, 2012 @ 7:33pm 
Sadly, this is what I did....

As I mentioned above, the one mod I attempted worked perfectly the first time. I quit the program after a while and then returned to play it later, only to find the same problem again. Once again I had to "validate" by doing the above....Just like the first time, it once again found 2 errors in which it looked like were reinstalled:

"2 files failed to validate and will be reacquired"....

Do I have to do this every time I want to play the Mod, or is there some way in which I can have this install once correctly without having to do it again?

Thanks again.
Two Can Van Damme Nov 24, 2012 @ 6:02am 
Hey another Dell 630i user! I had exactly the same problem but after the latest Civ 5 patch was released on Wednesday 21st and downloaded I deleted all the mods and started again and now no probs......yet lol
jamesp Nov 24, 2012 @ 11:33am 
OK, this might sound rather stupid of me, but wouldn't it auto-update the patch when it was ready? And if not, where do I find the patch to do so myself?
Two Can Van Damme Nov 25, 2012 @ 4:11am 
It was in my download queue at about 5mb of data. I want to get Gods and Kings but Im not convinced this issue has been resolved fully yet. Good luck with gettin this to work!
jamesp Nov 25, 2012 @ 8:41am 
Here's something I found interesting....Recently I messed around a little with my resolution for the game, and changing thus to what I thought would tax my computer more, the 1024 by 768 full screen level, I've played pretty smoothly for over 150 turns in one game without failures. I haven't attempted to use the MODS yet with this new video option, but is it possible that the resolution for this game can somehow impede the functionality? If so, what is the "best" options choice to use?

To put it in a nutshell, is it possible that MODS are rendered in certain resolutions which when played differently, can crash the game?
Kiya Nov 25, 2012 @ 8:52am 
Some games will run better if you have them running in the same resolution, with the same refresh rate as your Desktop, other than that it could just be a peculiarity specific to this game and your system.

Edit - to answer an earlier question, Steam automatically keeps your games up to date unless you are playing in offline mode - if your not sure, or think any patches might not have been applied properly just Verify the game cache again
Last edited by Kiya; Nov 25, 2012 @ 8:56am
jamesp Nov 29, 2012 @ 7:20am 
Well I completely uninstalled the game including all the MODS. I reinstalled the game, went back in under a 1024 x 768 resolution, and so far after about 175 turns or so, the game seems to be working right. I even played a MOD (Sam Houston's Texas) and found it played as well. I can only hope it stays this way as it would be terrible to play this game without the ability to use all the variances the Mods provide.

One aspect of all of this I have found to be true, when you attempt to put on variable mods at once into the main game, it seems to hate it. Either the game won't even start, or it will freeze up fast. I attempted to place in three MODS, 1 was Sam Houston, the Other was CIV WAR mod....And I had the three leaders, Lincoln, Davis and Houston all in one game. It didn't even get past the load screen. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers I guess.
Last edited by jamesp; Nov 29, 2012 @ 7:21am
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 22, 2012 @ 5:39pm