RLS0812 Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:22pm
Steam Overlay Infected With Adware
I have scanned my system with Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, AVG, Avast, Windows Defender and have found nothing.
This virus displays ads on the Steam Overlay, using java script injection. I need to disable java script on the Steam app to stop this, but can not find the option to do so.
Here is a screen shot of what I have to put up with
http://s10.postimage.org/grwy3okqx/Steam_Overlay_Ads.png
Showing 1-15 of 43 comments
< >
schnitzeljaeger Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:39pm 
RLS0812 Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:03pm 
Thanks for the reply. That topic is compleatly irrelevent.
[dirrty]gsharp Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:07pm 
Clean your computer. Steam doesn't generate those ads.
RLS0812 Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:17pm 
Reread my origional post.
[dirrty]gsharp Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:24pm 
Originally posted by RLS0812:
Reread my origional post.

I did. You're missing something because STEAM DOES NOT GENERATE THOSE ADS. Seriously. They don't. You are the only person -- out of FIVE MILLIOLN PEOPLE -- to report such behavior. That means that the problem is with your computer -- either a toolbar, BHO, or other form of adware is on your PC and generating those ads.

I'd also wager that you get similiar ads when web-browsing. There are forms of adware that will generate replacement ads that sit on top of any existing ads. My money is on you having one of those apps installed.

Blaming your computer problems on Steam is just irresponsible and foolish.
tmwfte Nov 18, 2012 @ 3:33pm 
Originally posted by RLS0812:
Thanks for the reply. That topic is compleatly irrelevent.

Actually, the thread tells you exactly what to do. Follow the instructions. If the adware remains, maybe the virus is somewhere other than in your Steam folder...
-MCG{A}-Razgriz2099 Nov 19, 2012 @ 6:47am 
Have you tried contacting steam support and provide them with that image file. I've never seen or heard of anything like this before while using steam and I've been using it coming up to 6 years now.
Last edited by -MCG{A}-Razgriz2099; Nov 19, 2012 @ 6:47am
Satoru Nov 19, 2012 @ 7:06am 
Because your scanners found nothing. Doesnt mean it wasn't there. You're already infected which means that any scan POST infection is considerably less effective. If multiple scans show nothing, and Steam is still showing ads like in your screenshots, your comptuer is totally screwed. Format it and install those thigns BEFORE you get infected, not after. You obviously installed it AFTER because you list THREE anti-virus products, which no one does.
Last edited by Satoru; Nov 19, 2012 @ 7:07am
RLS0812 Nov 19, 2012 @ 7:34am 
Is everyone's English comprehension at this site not so great ?
""This virus displays ads on the Steam Overlay ... I need to disable java script on the Steam app to stop this, but can not find the option to do so.""
How can that be misinterperted as "" OMG, Steam is responsible for the adware !! ""
Last edited by RLS0812; Nov 19, 2012 @ 7:36am
Kiya Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:00am 
Look to the title of your thread -> 'Steam Overlay Infected With Adware' - a rather inflammatory statement that gives the impression you believe Steam to be responsible for the problem.

And the fact remains that you have something nasty installed on your system which is causing this - trying to limit the effects is pointless if you have a trojan or something else that your anti virus is not picking up and which may be giving someone access to your PC to install these types of files.

As Satoru has said, you need to bite the bullet and do a complete reformat of your hard drive, then reinstall windows.
Satoru Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:01am 
And again, if Steam is serving ads its because your computer is infected with adware. Disabling javascript is not the solution.

YOU ARE SOLVING THE WRONG PROBLEM

If all those AV products can't find it, your computer is beyond hope. God knows what terrible viruses or adware is locked into your computer. Format it, burn it to the ground, and start over. Disabling javascript is not the solution to the 'adware in steam' problem. That's like finding that your celing has a giant hole in it, and the solution is to get a bigger and bigger bucket to hold the water. Only malicious software would be using javascript injection to serve ads directly into steam. Hiding the javascript isn't solving the fact that SOMETHING is doing that without your permission.

Save your personal data to an external hard drive. Format the computer. Install AV BEFORE you get infected again. Stop clicking those FREE GAMEZ ads that got you in this pickle in teh first place.
Last edited by Satoru; Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:08am
schnitzeljaeger Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:19am 
Originally posted by Satoru:
YOU ARE SOLVING THE WRONG PROBLEM

^ He knows what he's talking about! A proper cleaning/nuking is in order.
Spawn of Totoro Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:30am 
Get one (or all) of these (they are free):
http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

Burn it to a disk, restart your compute and boot from the disk. These will run and, hopefully, find the problems.

Other then that, formating and re-installing is probebly the best option.

O'h, and there is no way to turn of java script (or flash) in Steam.
SnarKs Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:43am 
man, replies to this thread are silly. The OP is clearly saying that he has a virus that a lot of virus scanners arent detecting that infects steam overlay. The OP isnt blaming steam at all.
Last edited by SnarKs; Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:48am
al Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:11am 
You might also make sure your computer is not configured to use any kind of HTTP proxy or untrusted DNS servers. The Steam overlay web browser functions just like a desktop web browser - anything designed to inject ads into web page requests would affect the overlay as well. Do you see the same issue when browsing in Internet Explorer?
Showing 1-15 of 43 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50