FinalForm7 Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:29pm
Failed to add new steam library folder?
Hey guys, I just did a fresh install of win 8 and reformatted both my drives. I've installed steam to my C drive (SSD) and I have a 1tb drive i wanted to use for storage, I've made it my active partition and such, however whenever i click to download a game, it gives me the option to select where to install, so I of course choose my D drive, yet i get "failed to add new steam library folder". I went to look and it DID create the folder but it won't install there?

Help?
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Seven7 Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:33am 
Steam not support Windows 8 officially
Steam have problem with creating additional libraries in root (like ~D:\\)
try create folder manually before adding library(like ~D:\\S2\\) and specify it
you will get ~D:\\s2\\steamapps\\
FinalForm7 Oct 29, 2012 @ 2:34am 
So you're saying, go ahead and create the folder right? I tried that and still didn't work? So I'm guessing I will have to use steam mover until we get an update or something.
SGMRock Dec 6, 2012 @ 9:41am 
In Windows Vista, 7 and Windows 8 you can use what's called a Symbolic Link to move folders and make the program think they are still where you installed them. This is how I put games I really want on my SSD and keep the games that don't really need it on my HDD where I have Steam installed. Example below. In this case E:\Steam is the HDD where I have Steam installed, D:\ is my SSD drive I use for games.

First open a Administrator level Command prompt. (Run as Administrator cmd.exe) In Windows 8 you can just mouse down to the lower left corner of the desktop and right click. You will get that popup menu with one of the things you can launch as Command Prompt (Admin), that's what you want.

Once you have that open find a game you want to move to the SSD in your Steam install folder. Lets say I want to move Total War Shogun 2. E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2. With Steam closed I would right click the "Total War SHOGUN 2" from the path above, Cut it and past it onto D:\. This will move the folder to D:\Total War SHOGUN 2

Now is the Command Prompt window you opened you need to put this exactly (using my above folder examples of course you would change folders to match your own and the game folder you plan to move)

mklink /J "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2" "D:\Total War SHOGUN 2"
Then press Enter, YOU MUST HAVE THE " at the beginning and end of the file paths like above. make sure you get the /J in there because it makes it a Directory Junction.

Now if you go to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\ you will see what looks like a Shortcut icon called Total War SHOGUN 2, if you double click it, it will open the folder you actually moved to the other drive because Windows now knows that those files are there but it still thinks its "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2" and not actually "D:\Total War SHOGUN 2"

This is what I do for games I play a lot, I move them to my SSD, make this Symbolic linked Directory Junction and play the game as normal. When I get bored of that game and start playing it a lot less and no longer want to have it on my SSD it is very easy to reverse the change by doing this.

Delete the Shortcut looking icon I said above you will find in E:\Steam\steamapps\common for the game you moved, in my above example Total War SHOGUN 2 , Again it looks just like a normal folder but its got the little shortcut Arrow over the top of the folder icon. When you delete this you are not actually deleting the game folder, just the Symbolic link you made. Now go to the drive you moved the game to in my example the D:\ and move the game folder Total War SHOGUN 2 back to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\ and voila, you have totally put everything back to the way it was at the start and the game is now off your SSD.

This works also if you just want to put it on another HDD of course.

This is how I did this before Steam added this feature and now I still do it that way because its easier to move games to and from my SSD at will.
noerion Dec 15, 2012 @ 9:12am 
I was having the same issue. I noticed on a new game I was about to download that it also was asking me where I would like to install it, and having an SSD that was the default install for steam, but was starting to get very full, I was hoping to offload that particular game (including a few others) to my data drive.
I actually found that you have to manually add the new location to the Steam Library List in the Steam Settings (open steam library > Steam > Settings ) under "Downloads + Cloud". At the bottom of "Downloads + Cloud" there is now a button that says "Steam Library Folders". When you click on it it will have the default steam install location, plus how many games have been installed to that library. You then have an option to add a new location, that once added, shows up in the drop down for where you would like to install your steam game to. I would recommend going ahead and creating a new folder in the desired location and then just finding it once you've chose the "Add Library Folder".
BOT Tim Dec 16, 2012 @ 1:48am 
I'm in the same situation. It says that it failed to create the folder/install, whether or not it was a precreated folder. I'm on windows 7 x64
Sage Dec 28, 2012 @ 8:37am 
I just did a reformat of my system. I had a steam library on a separate hard drive. After installing steam I was hoping I could just reconnect those games so I dont have to spent all week downloading them, but so far no luck. It also wont even let me make a new steam Library folder on the extra drive to start downloading other games to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Windows 7 x64 - Tried creating when going to install a new game and through the settings menu.
maka_RTH Jan 13, 2013 @ 2:07am 
I just ran into this. For me, the problem was trying to create the new library while downloading/updating another game. Once I paused that update, it created the new library just fine.
Daistar Jan 13, 2013 @ 11:30am 
/\ The above worked for me aswell. Pause any other downloads/updates you have running. Then it should allow you to create the new library.
BOT Tim Jan 13, 2013 @ 12:24pm 
Pausing my updating games also allowed me to create a folder. Thanks maka.

I swear though that I didn't have anything downloading previously however, as it was a freash steam install.
AliC Jan 15, 2013 @ 2:59pm 
Wow, thank you, maka_RTH. That solved the problem for me too.
Ohpus Jan 30, 2013 @ 8:59pm 
Same here. Stop DL and create the folder.

Steam devs: A more descriptive dialogue box explaining the problem would save lots of time...
Foehammer Mar 23, 2013 @ 3:20pm 
Originally posted by maka_RTH:
I just ran into this. For me, the problem was trying to create the new library while downloading/updating another game. Once I paused that update, it created the new library just fine.

That indeed was my problem. I'd consider that a bug Valve should fix (at least give a warning message that explains the issue). Thanks for posting that info.
Mr Bungle Apr 5, 2013 @ 3:27am 
Thanks for the help. I had the same problem.
Last edited by Mr Bungle; Apr 5, 2013 @ 3:28am
boozedog Apr 6, 2013 @ 12:49pm 
Agreed with Ohpus!
Mitchel Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:13am 

Wow, this was exactly the solution I was looking for, thanks alot m8. :)
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:29pm