Butterscotch Bicorne Oct 6, 2013 @ 11:49pm
Why does Steam raise the base price of a game in the middle of a sale?
So, during the 2k games sale yesterday I added Bioshock Infinite to my cart at $13.59, which was 66% off at the time. I didn't purchase it right away, and when I came back a few hours later the base price of the game had been changed to the current $69, which raised the price to about $23. Now of course that sale is ended, but the item is still in my cart telling me the price has changed from $13.59 to $46.89 (which is the current 33% off price). So what I want to know is, why did the base price of the game suddenly go up in the middle of the sale?
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
GonarcH Oct 7, 2013 @ 2:09am 
Its the publisher who decides how and when prices get changed, not Steam. It wouldnt be the first time I see the base price for a game to get raised just before a sale starts.
d7602002 Oct 7, 2013 @ 4:29am 
You said it yourself, the sale ended. Just because you put it in your cart does not mean you can go back anytime and buy it at the sale price. If you put it in your cart today and it is 75% off, but do not purchase it til tomorrow after the sale price has ended you will pay full price.
Niborius Oct 7, 2013 @ 5:04am 
Like d7602002 says, whenever something is in your cart, the price can still change if the sale is over.
Butterscotch Bicorne Oct 7, 2013 @ 6:15am 
I wasn't talking about the sale price, the sale remained consistent at 66% off. But it went from 66% of $40 to 66% of $70. So that's the publisher's doing? Are they just trying to make it look like a better deal and hoping people won't notice?
MonkeySeeker Oct 7, 2013 @ 6:33am 
Valve do this all the time during sales. No it's not the publishers doing. Valve even do it with their own games. I love how Valve have managed to convince everyone that they have no responsibility for anything at all.
Last edited by MonkeySeeker; Oct 7, 2013 @ 6:33am
Python Jones P.I. Oct 7, 2013 @ 6:50am 
Its one of the oldest tricks in the book, raise the base price to make the saving look bigger.
crunchyfrog Oct 7, 2013 @ 7:41am 
It's usually down to error.

When they amend the price to reflect the sale it can often happen. It can be erroneous data from the publisher/dev or it can be simple error on the representative at Steam's end - don't buy this conspiratorial nonsense that it's "Steam's fault" exclusively - there is no evidence or even reason why they would do such a thing.

Sometimes, the error goes on the consumer's side and you can get things REALLY cheap.

It's error, pure and simple - and that's why you saw it corrected.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 6, 2013 @ 11:49pm