red.leaf Sep 23, 2013 @ 5:53pm
Forced Updates
I sit here waiting for Steam to update Skyrim with some fancy new patch that lets me be a necromancer or some such. It also says it requires a character to be level 30.

That's nice. I just recently started playing Skyrim and I only broke level 21 yesterday and am taking my time playing the primary story. I don't have a level 30 character, and if I did I wouldn't be interested in this patch anyway because I'm not done with this primary story. Yet I am sitting here downloading this patch.

I can't stop the patch from downloading. I can't pause it. I can't abort it. I can't even login to Steam to do anything. I had to use Firefox to access the site and try to find help for this problem.

Why am I being forced to download an update that I don't need and don't want? This thing is huge and is taking a ton of my bandwidth to transfer and it won't even let me throttle the download so I can do something else while I wait, like, say, watch something on Netflix. I want to play my game and (no pun intended) just blow off some steam.

This nonsense does not endear me to Steam, which I am already annoyed with as it requires me to login to a remote service every time I want to play my single-player offline game. Sounds to me like Valve is campaigning hard for me to not buy any more of their games.

Conclusion: It is unacceptable to be unable to stop, pause, or deny a download for a piece of software that was already working without incident on my machine. If this happens to me enough times, I will lose interest in this particular form of torture and look elsewhere for entertainment. Fix this.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
facedown Sep 23, 2013 @ 6:02pm 
Someone is complaining about game improvements and free content. Also you can throttle the download. It is an option built into Steam.

Conclusion: your life is ruined.
Dr. Dunsparce Sep 23, 2013 @ 6:02pm 
When you start skyrim you can choose which data-files are loaded into the game, simply de-select the dawnguard.esm file and continue playing as normal, dawnguard will not integrated into your game.

As for the fact that everyone just got a free copy of dawnguard, we do not yet know if it was intentional or some sort of error. I imagine we will be told before too long.

As to the size of the download; for me it is 690mb in size, on my ancient above-ground analogue copper cable DSL connection I max out at 120kb/s downloads, currently it is downloading at around 90kb/s and I am browsing using several different tabs AND using this steam community. Your connection must be absolutely anaemic or broken if this is stopping you from using the internet almost entirely and taking hours to complete.
Last edited by Dr. Dunsparce; Sep 23, 2013 @ 6:06pm
red.leaf Sep 23, 2013 @ 6:36pm 
I didn't get any expansions for the game because I only wanted the basic game. Now that the patch is installed, I see that I have Dawnguard listed under data files. Not only was that not there last time I ran the game, but I wasn't even given the option to deselect it before downloading this patch because Skyrim wouldn't launch until the patch was finished, and closing the patch dialog aborted the attempt to launch Skyrim. Now that I know, I can choose not to use Dawnguard.

I didn't know I could throttle download speed for Steam, which is useful, but it still doesn't solve the Surprise Undeniable Gift factor. If someone gives you a gift that you are obligated to receive, then it isn't really a gift at all.

As for the performance of a particular connection, it is possible that connections might be shared and that one user might choose to consider the affect his downloads have on what others might be doing.

Despite the shaming attitudes at me, I am thankful for A) the help in identifying how to throttle my download speed and B) the information about the surprise Dawnguard DLC and that disabling it will prevent future unwanted patches. I still think it's reseaonable to be given a choice between updating software or choosing to use the existing version.
facedown Sep 23, 2013 @ 6:56pm 
Originally posted by red.leaf:

As for the performance of a particular connection, it is possible that connections might be shared and that one user might choose to consider the affect his downloads have on what others might be doing.

It just throttles steam game downloads. When I launch a game the download window has an option you can check to download at full speed.

In general Steam will not let you launch any games without the newest patch. Now you know. If you want the latest patch it comes in handy except for when it launches without patching. There is an option to turn off automatic patching for each game but when you go to launch it the patch is going to happen.
Last edited by facedown; Sep 23, 2013 @ 7:03pm
CyberDown Sep 23, 2013 @ 8:34pm 
I checked on the skyrim forums about it, since a new necromancer class sounds awesome.

What had happened is that everyone on steam, for whatever reason, got the dawguard DLC for free...my guess is a bug or accident and will be taken back.

You need to be a certain level to do the mission that gives you the option to become what you think is a necromancer...i wont spoil or anything...but its optional. Also you can choose to be the side that hunts and kills these "necromancers" if you wish.

you would have to uninstall the dawnguard DLC if you wish to rid yourself of it.
Last edited by CyberDown; Sep 23, 2013 @ 8:36pm
John Hadley Sep 23, 2013 @ 8:43pm 
I agree with the original poster. Forced updates can be an annoyance at times especially when a game makes a major update that causes old savegames not to work anymore. There's no reason Steam should ever update a game that you don't have set to automatically look for updates without asking you. If there is a new update for a game Steam should prompt you when you try to launch the game if you want it if you have disabled the automatic updates to see if you want to update now, play the game and ask again later, or disable requests to update this game until you choose to update it later manually from the game library menu.
ceoriginal Sep 23, 2013 @ 11:28pm 
Do these updates happen when you launch a certain game or steam itself? It seems to me like steam updates itself everytime I log in regardless of game. Annoying.
John Hadley Sep 24, 2013 @ 12:15am 
If a game has automatic updates turned on the Steam will try to update it any time while it is running, usually shortly after you launch Steam. It automatic updates is turned off for a game then it will not try to update it when you just start Steam without trying to launch the game, however every game will try to update itself if you try to launch the game whether or not you have automatic updates turned on if you have internet access available and Steam was not started in offline mode.
KARR Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:35am 
Originally posted by red.leaf:
Sounds to me like Valve is campaigning hard for me to not buy any more of their games.

Although Steam and the downloading 'style' is owned by Valve, note that it isn't a Valve game, they didn't make it, they simply provide the client you play it through.
RayeGunn Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:46am 
Something went wrong on your end. I have never had trouble playing games while it's updating something, Steam will normally put the download on pause when you launch another game, and then let the download finish when you are not gaming. I mean, it sucks that it didn't stop for you when you wanted it to, but... it's not how it's designed, something went wrong, probably due to the fact that the download you got was in itself due to a glitch. You got a 15 dollar DLC for free. It got added to EVERYONE's account, whether they owned Skyrim or not. They removed the licenses from people, but if you happened to be online at the time and got the files, you can play the game with them.
John Hadley Sep 24, 2013 @ 7:55am 
You can play other games while a game is updating, but you can't play the one that is updating. I think most downloads pause when you start a new game so you have to manually go unpause it if you want to actually continue to download *during* playing another game, but it is definitely possible.
sara_bear Sep 24, 2013 @ 7:19pm 
I'm just wondering why your update download took so long. My computer is just top adverage, nothing fancy. And updates always take less than 5 mins for me.
red.leaf Sep 28, 2013 @ 1:14am 
Honestly, the whole fiasco soured my taste for Skyrim altogether and I went back to GTA IV, which I never finished.

Also, I learned from a friend only tonight that Steam has an offline mode (mentioned above in someone's comment). I had no idea! I'll be using Steam offline exclusively from now on unless I have a specific reason to do otherwise.
ToxicGTE Jan 15 @ 1:49pm 
I completely agree with the OP. Currently SRIV is updating at 90Kb/s and taking a ♥♥♥♥ing age on my donkey broadband connection too. So much for having "a quick go" on SRIV before bedtime. One patch that Volition released completely broke everyone's game, since then I turned off automatic updates until i knew that additional patches were safe to use. If I turn something off, I expect it to be off, not "you thought it was off, but we were joking. Have an update you didn't ask for".
I could run Steam in offline mode, but then I couldn't play co-op, and I guess that turning it back on would result in me getting the download anyway... Annoyed.
facedown Jan 15 @ 2:49pm 
Originally posted by gte634:
I completely agree with the OP. Currently SRIV is updating at 90Kb/s and taking a ♥♥♥♥ing age on my donkey broadband connection too. So much for having "a quick go" on SRIV before bedtime. One patch that Volition released completely broke everyone's game, since then I turned off automatic updates until i knew that additional patches were safe to use. If I turn something off, I expect it to be off, not "you thought it was off, but we were joking. Have an update you didn't ask for".
I could run Steam in offline mode, but then I couldn't play co-op, and I guess that turning it back on would result in me getting the download anyway... Annoyed.

Dude, not only a necro post but you are way late. Recent Steam updates fixed this problem 100% anyway.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 23, 2013 @ 5:53pm