Zytorias Dec 31, 2012 @ 7:38pm
Can I install my steam games on more than one computer [legally]?
I have a few computers sitting at home, my laptop, desktop, server, spare laptops etc...
[And of course they are all mine, and for my personal use only]

Is it legal to install multiple copies of the same game on all of my computers?
Or should I only do it, one game per computer at a time?
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
twig3721 Dec 31, 2012 @ 7:41pm 
You can install your Steam games on lots of computers, but you can only be logged into your Steam account from one computer at a time (meaning you can only play one game at a time).
Zytorias Dec 31, 2012 @ 7:48pm 
Is it even possible [for computers] to login at more than one place at the same time? [Won't one of the logins get kicked off from the server, or have an expired session?]
If not, should I avoid parallel login steam with my mobile app and computer(s)?
Last edited by Zytorias; Dec 31, 2012 @ 7:50pm
Keyboard Cat Dec 31, 2012 @ 7:50pm 
Originally posted by Zytorias:
Is it even possible [for computers] to login at more than one place at the same time?
Should I avoid parallel login steam with my mobile app and computer(s)?

If you put the other computer into offline mode, you can have access to your games on two computers at a time.

You can log into the mobile app and the desktop version at the same time. You can't actually play games on the mobile app or anything so there's no real reason for that limitation to exist. Would be kind of annoying if you got booted off of the desktop version every time the app decided to sync anyway.
Duff Dec 31, 2012 @ 8:12pm 
you can do offline mode, but also some games open without the steam client and just use the .exe. i was able to open scribblenauts unlimited and super street fighter 4 with .exe but borderlands 2 needed steam. those are the only 3 i tried.
Keyboard Cat Dec 31, 2012 @ 8:16pm 
Originally posted by Duff:
you can do offline mode, but also some games open without the steam client and just use the .exe. i was able to open scribblenauts unlimited and super street fighter 4 with .exe but borderlands 2 needed steam. those are the only 3 i tried.

Only thing to keep in mind when doing this is that if you launch the .exe itself, things like achievements won't work right if the game supports them. I think there's an issue with saves in Scribblenauts Unlimited if you don't launch it through steam itself too.
linuxpusher2 Sep 24, 2013 @ 11:23am 
To avoid any confusion !
I am the steam account holder and Game Owner so to speak, I just built my under 10 year old child a game computer so I could use My Computer when I want, lol.
I have all the games installed to My LinuxPusher2 Computer.

How can I give Some Games to my Child's Computer, is this Allowed.
I can remove the games in question from LinuxPusher2 Computer first if that helps.

That way if there is an issue I can check the Childs Computer, Game, Local File, Integrity.
Wish I had know all the Rules before I bought the games then I could have given her her own account.

The games are, Tommy Tronic, Zack Zero, Toki Tori & (2), Magica, Dungeonland.
Thanks
LP2
Last edited by linuxpusher2; Sep 24, 2013 @ 11:26am
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Sep 24, 2013 @ 11:41am 
Originally posted by linuxpusher2:
To avoid any confusion !
I am the steam account holder and Game Owner so to speak, I just built my under 10 year old child a game computer so I could use My Computer when I want, lol.
I have all the games installed to My LinuxPusher2 Computer.

How can I give Some Games to my Child's Computer, is this Allowed.
I can remove the games in question from LinuxPusher2 Computer first if that helps.

That way if there is an issue I can check the Childs Computer, Game, Local File, Integrity.
Wish I had know all the Rules before I bought the games then I could have given her her own account.

The games are, Tommy Tronic, Zack Zero, Toki Tori & (2), Magica, Dungeonland.
Thanks
LP2

You currently cannot split games from accounts.
Zytorias Oct 2, 2013 @ 12:59pm 
i believe that you can download and install same games on multiple computers. However you can only log on to one steam account at a time. Which means you can only play one game per time, unless if you go offline mode. I installed games from my account on my desktop and laptop, eg. when i try to sign on on both computers, the second computer always auto signs first computer off.
linuxpusher2 Oct 6, 2013 @ 5:32pm 
Got it Thanks.
facedown Oct 6, 2013 @ 5:36pm 
Look into getting into the family sharing. http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/ You can sign up for beta now.
Last edited by facedown; Oct 6, 2013 @ 5:36pm
Zytorias Nov 16, 2013 @ 6:54pm 
From the FAQ:
"CAN ALL STEAM GAMES BE SHARED WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY?
No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared between accounts."

From my understanding itll just permit other accounts to download your games; you can't play multiplayers. Not much difference than offline mode.
Last edited by Zytorias; Nov 16, 2013 @ 6:55pm
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 31, 2012 @ 7:38pm
Posts: 11