Awesomness-Dood Sep 7, 2013 @ 12:48am
About garry's mod
I want to buy garry's mod, but my friends say that i need half life 2 to play it is that true?
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Akvamarine Sep 7, 2013 @ 2:14am 
no you do not! they must be fooling you
srsbizns Sep 7, 2013 @ 2:40am 
Nah. Though Garry's Mod is a little ugly if you don't have some specific source games (i.e counter strike) as it uses the textures of these games. Without them for the most part all you're gonna see is pink and black checkers due to the missing textures. Counter-Strike Source will cover a majority of what you need, so if you don't have it already, pick it up when it goes on sale again.
Nevermore Sep 7, 2013 @ 3:36am 
I'm not sure how it works, but years ago you used to require a source game.

I would still 100% recomend buying CS:Source though. More than half the gamemodes online require materials from CS:Source. If you don't have it, you can't play the gamemode without seeing thousands of "ERROR" on screen.
Dabius Sep 7, 2013 @ 3:47am 
theres no way to get all the files without buying CS?
Awesomness-Dood Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:35pm 
Can i download the demo version of it trough steam would that work?
Awesomness-Dood Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:44pm 
I mean the demo version of half life 2 i mean it would make sence if that worked
dapsykotik Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:47pm 
I don't think the demo would work, here's what it says in the store :

''This game requires that you own a Source engine game such as Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2, or Day of Defeat: Source. Click here for a full list of games that meet this requirement. Please note that Portal: First Slice and the bundled Half-Life 2: Deathmatch do not fulfill this requirement.''

From all the games in the link, I would recommend you get Half-Life 2.
Awesomness-Dood Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:48pm 
Damn it i was not planning on buying half life 2 or cs source
srsbizns Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:51pm 
Just wait until CS:Source goes on sale. It goes dirt, dirt, dirt cheap. It's Steam's 10 year anniversary in a few days, maybe you'll be lucky and they'll do a little sale. Garry's Mod is a fantastic game with endless entertaining gamemodes to play around on, but you'll find most of these gamemodes very unplayable if you don't have a source game like CS:Source.
Last edited by srsbizns; Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:53pm
dapsykotik Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:53pm 
Team Fortress 2 is not in the list, but The Orange Box is. Also I found this on wikipedia,

''Purchase of Garry's Mod requires the user to own at least one game on Steam based on the Source engine, such as Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Portal, or Team Fortress 2.''

So maybe TF2 will work.
`fl0w. [eSports] Sep 9, 2013 @ 6:58am 
U just need a source engine buy the cheapest source game and then get Garry's mod!!
sfnhltb Sep 9, 2013 @ 7:13am 
Originally posted by dapsykotik:
Team Fortress 2 is not in the list, but The Orange Box is. Also I found this on wikipedia,

''Purchase of Garry's Mod requires the user to own at least one game on Steam based on the Source engine, such as Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Portal, or Team Fortress 2.''

So maybe TF2 will work.

The Free 2 Play version of TF2 doesn't come with the Source SDK as far as I know, so I don't think it is enough for Garry's Mod.
DoomSplitter (Banned) Sep 9, 2013 @ 7:57am 
You could say that Gmod is an "empty shell" of sorts. It draws almost all of it's content from Source engine games. The more Source games you own, the more content you can use. I recomend at least buying CS:S, as many of the popular online gamemodes use it's content (ttt, rp, jailbreak, etc.).
Korus Sep 9, 2013 @ 8:01am 
D'oh! It happened to me too. So to play gamemodes that concern 1 kind of game (like the ones DoomSPlitter said before) , is that game needed?
DoomSplitter (Banned) Sep 9, 2013 @ 8:13am 
Yes. If you don't have CS:S installed, you'll get a lot of giant error models and missing textures. It's worth having CS:S though, as it's a pretty good game on it's own. You could always wait until it goes on sale.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 7, 2013 @ 12:48am