mutant_hero Aug 15, 2013 @ 3:39am
Steam account - Query account by CD-key
I got this email from Steam support today. What does it mean?

"Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this CD-key.

Steam account name: mutant_hero

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

The Steam Support Team
http://www.steampowered.com"
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Lostedge Aug 15, 2013 @ 3:46am 
In short probably scam.
Last edited by Lostedge; Aug 15, 2013 @ 3:49am
Nikomai Hurashi Aug 15, 2013 @ 3:47am 
Scam, Steam Support Wouldn't send you an email saying that sort of thing!
KARR Aug 15, 2013 @ 4:23am 
Originally posted by Nikomai Hurashi:
Scam, Steam Support Wouldn't send you an email saying that sort of thing!

Yes they would and yes they do!

It is sent when someone tries to use a cd-key that has already been activated on another account. If you have been taking part in a key giveaway or have traded for a key, etc. It's someone else trying to enter the key into their Steam client.

Falro's Bot Aug 15, 2013 @ 5:59am 
It is indeed NOT a scam. As KARR above me said, it is an automated message that's sent out when someone clicks the "Recover Account" button after trying to enter a used CD-key.
mutant_hero Aug 15, 2013 @ 1:54pm 
Ok, so then it's probably because of a review key I recieved yesterday. Some other poor critic got a duplicate, I presume!
Kargor Aug 15, 2013 @ 2:02pm 
And what should someone do in a case like this? I mean, they don't have to send me an EMail just to learn that a game is activated on my account, so they are clearly expecting me to do something.
KARR Aug 15, 2013 @ 2:39pm 
Originally posted by Kargor:
And what should someone do in a case like this? I mean, they don't have to send me an EMail just to learn that a game is activated on my account, so they are clearly expecting me to do something.

Not really. You shouldn't be trading for keys, keys are yours and yours alone. You can use YOUR key to discover which account you activated it on, in the case you have more than one. 99 times out of 100 your key shouldn't be KNOWN to another person, so this issue wouldn't arise.

In this case, it's a key that COULD have gone to more than one person, which is why you get a slightly confusing message.
mutant_hero Aug 15, 2013 @ 9:08pm 
What KARR says makes sense to me.
NamelessOne Sep 29, 2013 @ 4:14am 
I got the same email today, but I don't understand why. Should I be worried or?

EDIT: Ok, think I got it. It's about the key I got on a forum. Somebody tried that key after I activated it on my account and that is why I got that email (in case somebody got access to my acc?). Nothing to worry about, just need to be careful with public keys.
Last edited by NamelessOne; Sep 29, 2013 @ 4:23am
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 15, 2013 @ 3:39am