G-Rath Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:37pm
What happened to Steam's software survey data?
Back about a year or two ago, Steam had data for the software people had installed on their computer - Just the type of software that is, nothing unique to each persons computer.

Me and my mates had a bit of a laugh at some of the things there, such as only about 25% of people (at the time it was only for windows) has Windows Media Player and IE installed, that sort of thing.

What happened to it? Now its just hardware. Did they remove it because of privacy issues? Felt that it wasn't worth it? I could be missing something, but it just seems to have gone out of the blue
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
-Z- Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:55pm 
Sounds like it would've been a huge privacy issue. It's none of their or anyone else's business what programs I have installed.
G-Rath Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:49pm 
It was something you agreed to - I think (like, most sure) it was part of the survey for Dota 2. I know it was a clear thing that they told everyone about, or everyone who did the survey at least
aiusepsi Jun 20, 2013 @ 12:44am 
It's nothing to do with privacy, the survey data is anonymised.

I would guess they removed the listing of the data because it was horribly out of date. They never set up an automated system to post new software data each month, so it just showed the data from the first ever software survey.
SushiFighter☮PeaceMech Jun 20, 2013 @ 12:56am 
Steam gathered all the data they needed to build their robot army of sexy women to ruin our gaming LIVES! NOOOO!!
tomk1 Jun 20, 2013 @ 4:25am 
Where's the hardware data? be interesting to see.
Erthilo Jun 20, 2013 @ 4:41am 
Hardware and software data used to be both here: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

But now it only seems to show hardware results.
tomk1 Jun 20, 2013 @ 5:36am 
Thanks Erthilo.
L-r | Canti Jun 20, 2013 @ 5:42am 
It's surprising to see Nvidia having such a huge lead over AMD. I was certain last time I checked that page they were about even. The common display resolutions data is also interesting.
2point4 Jun 20, 2013 @ 9:22am 
Originally posted by Canti:
It's surprising to see Nvidia having such a huge lead over AMD. I was certain last time I checked that page they were about even. The common display resolutions data is also interesting.
When was the last time you checked? NVIDIA has had a big lead over AMD, much like Intel does over AMD in the CPU race, for a long time now. Here's some data going back to January of this year:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

You can see how NVIDIA dominates the top of the list. On a side note it's sad to see Intel with such a decent share of the video market. :( Their video hardware is subpar, but with an 11.4% share of Steam customers some developers might see this data and start "optimizing" their games for this hardware, which would generally mean subpar performance.
-Z- Jun 20, 2013 @ 6:33pm 
Originally posted by Piro G-Rath:
It was something you agreed to - I think (like, most sure) it was part of the survey for Dota 2. I know it was a clear thing that they told everyone about, or everyone who did the survey at least
Okay then, where do I go to make sure I'm opted out? It's not in the Settings options.
2point4 Jun 20, 2013 @ 7:05pm 
When you see the hardware survey you can choose to partake or not. Opting not to send that data to Valve will effectively keep your hardware and software data to yourself.
ReBoot Jun 23, 2013 @ 7:52am 
Originally posted by aiusepsi:
It's nothing to do with privacy, the survey data is anonymised.
Tell that the "Evil Valve spie on meeehh!!!!111ELEVEN"-people out there.
Dwarden Jul 13, 2013 @ 2:27pm 
ye i would like to see some recent software survey results too :)
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:37pm