Tutte le discussioni > Discussioni di Steam > Help and Tips > Dettagli della discussione
Questa discussione è stata chiusa
Downgrade To The June 6th Steam Update
For the many people (including myself) that are having issues with the recent releases of Steam, I have found a temporary workaround that we can use until Valve fixes these issues. Luckily I was able to get the June 6, 2013 Steam program files from a recent system backup. I have packaged all of the required files into a legacy .zip file (so that anybody should be able to extract it). Just click on the link below to download the .zip file and make sure that you SAVE IT to your computer.

Now what do you do next after you have downloaded and saved the .zip file? Well first, if you use Steam client betas, you will need to opt out of Steam betas for now in order to use this previous stable release. Instructions on how to opt out of receiving beta releases is here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Betas (look under the Beta removal section). Now we have to delete some of the files and folders in your Steam folder. So go into your Steam folder. You can delete everything EXCEPT these things:

DO NOT DELETE THESE THINGS: config folder, depotcache folder, steamapps folder, userdata folder, ClientRegistry.blob, and the file that starts with ssfn.

Now that you have prepared your Steam folder, you can now open the .zip file with whatever program you use for .zip files. If you need a program for opening and extracting .zip files or archive files in general, 7-Zip is a good and free choice: http://www.7-zip.org. So once you have opened the .zip file, you should be able to see everything that is in it. Now you will want to extract the files into your Steam folder. There is usually an "Extract" button or something similar. Click the "Extract" button and select your Steam folder as the destination where the files will go. Then go from there. If you properly cleaned out your Steam folder as described above, you should not be asked if you want to overwrite an existing file. If you do get asked, then just say Yes.

After the files and folders have been sent to your Steam folder, then you can load Steam like normal (with a shortcut for example). So now hopefully your games should work properly again if they weren't working before with the recent Steam updates.

Now as you probably know, the Steam program checks for updates and automatically downloads updates for the client on its own. I don't currently know of a way to temporarily stop the Steam program from checking for updates and downloading updates for the client. I would suggest keeping the .zip file on your computer so that if by chance, the program updates itself, and you're back to using a faulty version of Steam again, you can clean out your Steam folder as explained above and use the .zip file again to downgrade your Steam program until Valve releases an update that does work properly for you.

Here is the download link for the June 6, 2013 stable release of Steam: http://www.filedropper.com/steamjune62013stablerelease

Alternative download links provided by ACEp*JCade/Sim7447 #ValCore:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1O9A5LI9yYwVTZxS3BzZlZfZzQ/edit?usp=sharing

https://mega.co.nz/#!kRpEyAQC!TnXbdFysJBfvXowKub8Jmk_p2ooHTwVtglb51rEnqRk

I really hope that this temporary workaround works for you until Valve fixes the current issues with the Steam program. If the June 6th stable release worked properly for you before, then this temporary workaround should work for you for now
Ultima modifica da Nice Puppies; 11 lug 2013, ore 16:20
< >
Visualizzazione di 1-15 commenti su 140
Hi. Can you upload this release to another site? I cant download this file, download is force stopping. thanks
Ultima modifica da fest ★; 11 lug 2013, ore 13:30
Here are alternate download links in case anyone is having trouble with FileDropper.
Steam June 6 2013 Stable Release.zip (181.4 MB)

Google Drive:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1O9A5LI9yYwVTZxS3BzZlZfZzQ/edit?usp=sharing

Mega.co.nz:
https://mega.co.nz/#!kRpEyAQC!TnXbdFysJBfvXowKub8Jmk_p2ooHTwVtglb51rEnqRk

I'm currently trying to find an online file virus scanner that will accept a 181mb file; Virus Total's limit is 64mb.
Ultima modifica da Crimson; 11 lug 2013, ore 15:16
So you can even delete steam.exe itself, too?
I don't think I'm going to try this fix. Maybe if someone else confirms that it works, first? Much appreciated though, thanks for posting.
Yeah, same here.
What about you, OP? Did you have to do this too and can you confirm it works?
Messaggio originale di Sacri:
I don't think I'm going to try this fix. Maybe if someone else confirms that it works, first? Much appreciated though, thanks for posting.
I can confirm that this works for me. I'm currently running the June 6th release as I type this and I've had zero issues.
Also, do not update or close Steam, else you will have to repeat the process.
How did you prevent it from updating on the first launch, though? That's what I'm wondering. Wouldn't it just update after I throw the files in there?
How did you prevent it from updating on the first launch, though? That's what I'm wondering. Wouldn't it just update after I throw the files in there?

I'm curious, too. :L
After doing this, I tried to launch Steam while disconnected from the internet, but it wouldn't allow me to do so. After connecting to the internet & launching, the client didn't try to update - it simply opened and worked as normal.
Messaggio originale di ACEp*JCade/Sim7447 #ValCore:
After doing this, I tried to launch Steam while disconnected from the internet, but it wouldn't allow me to do so. After connecting to the internet & launching, the client didn't try to update - it simply opened and worked as normal.
Dang, that's weird. But really convenient, in this case.
I'll still surprised that you can actually delete steam.exe though.
Messaggio originale di Delishioush Sean Connery:
Dang, that's weird. But really convenient, in this case.
I'll still surprised that you can actually delete steam.exe though.
Most likely because everything necessary exists in order to function properly.
If the latest version of Steam.exe was left in the directory, the client would probably update, since older versions of files would be found.
Ultima modifica da Crimson; 11 lug 2013, ore 16:06
So you can even delete steam.exe itself, too?

Yes, in order to use this previous version, you have to delete your Steam.exe file.

What about you, OP? Did you have to do this too and can you confirm it works?

Yes it works for me for now until Valve fixes the issues with the current version of Steam.

And special thanks to ACEp*JCade/Sim7447 #ValCore for providing alternative download links!
Ultima modifica da Nice Puppies; 11 lug 2013, ore 16:11
Glad to have helped.
Ultima modifica da Crimson; 11 lug 2013, ore 16:12
OP, could you add the alternative download links to the main post so that they don't become buried in the comments?
< >
Visualizzazione di 1-15 commenti su 140
Per pagina: 1530 50

Tutte le discussioni > Discussioni di Steam > Help and Tips > Dettagli della discussione
Data di pubblicazione: 11 lug 2013, ore 12:32