This topic has been locked
Rumbarrel Jun 27, 2013 @ 11:18am
:tradingcard: Potential to be the most valuable card on Steam.
Although the :tradingcard: is currently worthless and has a silly emoticon, it is the very first discontinued card (each beta tester only got one card and the trading card system will obviously never be beta tested again.) If people were to hoard this card it could possibly become quite valuable.

Does that seem plausible or am I on crack?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 52 comments
True very true
Grim Abstract Jun 27, 2013 @ 11:22am 
i think you must be on crack. but hey, people are stupid and would actually buy this card i beleive.
Rumbarrel Jun 27, 2013 @ 11:24am 
Hell it's .03$ on the steam market right now. I bought just over 100. He'll even if it rises to .30$ that's 25$ profit for me.
jackmcbarn Jun 27, 2013 @ 11:35am 
I don't see :tradingcard: becoming valuable just because it's discontinued. Look at all the TF2 promos post Mann-Conomy. Only the ones from expensive games are worth anything at all.
Niele Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:03pm 
but seriously guys, that's an emoticon lol why i should ever use this :tradingcard: or this :tradingcardfoil: on a post? if it were something else like a background to show in your profile that you have been a tester i can understand but emoticon like this :meatytears: are priceless.
this :tradingcard::tradingcardfoil: doesn't show any emotion and are emoticon lol
Rumbarrel Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:07pm 
I personally find its never about looks but more so bragging rights. I used to play Runescape years ago when it was cutting edge. Only reason I have this mindset is because of that game. A completely useless item called a 1/2 jug of wine is worth ~1000$ while its only purpose is bragging rights of a discontinued item.
Lehkeri Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:47pm 
Then :tradingcardfoil: should be even more valuable, no?
Rumbarrel Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:05pm 
Definitely. :tradingcardfoil: > :tradingcard: both are discontinued.

In my prior reply I mentioned how the 1/2 jug of wine was 1000$ now. I just want to clear up future posts by this statement.

Discontinued trading cards will never reach such a high dollar figure because there are to many in circulation. However I don't doubt the rise in price of the cards. There are millions of steam users and less then 1/10th (estimation) received a card. Depending on how valve develops trading cards, they could become quite fun to collect.
Cthulhu Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:24pm 
I agree. Very possible.
Ûvatha Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:30pm 
:tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard:
:tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard:
:tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard:
:tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcardfoil::tradingcard:
:tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard::tradingcard:
Lehkeri Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:31pm 
I think emoticons should be "activated". Meaning, once you claim one for yourself, you cannot sell it. Does that make sense?
Rumbarrel Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:34pm 
100% support to that statement Knee. If you can remove some from circulation it will not only drive prices up but increase the amount of money steam makes per transaction.
Ûvatha Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:40pm 
Originally posted by Rumbarrel:
100% support to that statement Knee. If you can remove some from circulation it will not only drive prices up but increase the amount of money steam makes per transaction.
good luck with your mission, there are probably more than a million Steam Trading Cards Beta participants.
Lehkeri Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:41pm 
Originally posted by Ûvatha:
Originally posted by Rumbarrel:
good luck with your mission, there are probably more than a million Steam Trading Cards Beta participants.

When it came out of BETA, the group had 640 000 people in it
Rumbarrel Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:41pm 
~800,000. Read it on a Steam Post. I'm curious of that number how many are foil.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 52 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 27, 2013 @ 11:18am