Werewolf Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:30am
Possible SOLUTION to: Steam servers are too busy to handle your request... error code 53 (and probably others too)
I was having problems running 2 games from Steam, L4D2 and Portal 2 and managed to resolve my issues with a few steps.

As I started the game Steam showed me a message "Completing installation...", counted to 100% then showed me the following error:

The steam servers are too busy to handle your request for Portal 2. (Error code 53)

Due to security, I am always logged on with a limited rights account. Therefore, I cannot install games / programs without having to provide other credentials. Also, my standard account cannot shut down or modify settings for antivirus or the firewall.

If you are already logged on with an administrator account, skip the first step...

1. Log on with a administrator account (I did it with a local admin, not with a domain admin)
2. Disable antivirus AND firewall
3. Start Steam
4. Start the game (I had to start each game several times until they started)
5. Exit the game
6. Shutdown steam
7. Re-enable antivirus and firewall
8. Start Steam again
9. Start the games again to verify that they are still running
10. Logoff and logon to your normal account

The games started for me after that on my normal, limited access, login.

For sake of completeness, my setup:

Windows 7 Client
McAfee Total Protection 12.1 (Firewall and Antivirus)
CPU: Intel core i7 950 (Quad core 3Ghz)
RAM: 12GB (Physical RAM – Paging disabled - about 3.3 GB used with only a few programs running)
HDD: >500GB free space remaining

My PC is part of a domain and I am always using a standard user account that has insufficient rights to install or modify software. Whenever I install a new game (even with Steam) I need to provide the credentials of another login that has sufficient rights to install and modify software.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Dw_Shujin Robo-kun Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:02pm 
Will this work for Left 4 Dead 2?
Werewolf Jul 11, 2013 @ 6:06am 
yes it should, had myself the problem with L4D2, the above workaround fixed it.
FlockOfNarwhals Jul 16, 2013 @ 4:54am 
This worked for SR3 and Portal 2, thanks a lot!
Killerbean Jul 25, 2013 @ 1:51am 
do you log in as administrator with right mouse buttton or do you make a new steam account
Killerbean Jul 25, 2013 @ 1:57am 
oh sorry stupit question
TRiLiXi Jul 25, 2013 @ 2:15am 
Haha, I bet you're a regular customer at your Office's IT Helpdesk
Werewolf Jul 25, 2013 @ 5:52am 
You need a Windows administrator, the reason being that you otherwise do not have enough rights to install programs or to disable your antivirus.
[DeaDMaN] igorfeiden Jan 1 @ 5:41am 
It Works!

Fine with Windows 8 and Left4Dead 2

Thanks man!
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:30am