Link Satonaka Mar 6, 2013 @ 6:11pm
Conspiracy and or bug report.
I've had this issue with two different games across three different computers.

If you do not have gamesforwindows live installed, if a game requires it, steam installs it for you. However, it is consistently installed incorrectly, at least on Windows 8 Pro x64.

I installed ACE COMBAT on two computers and Dark Souls on my new laptop- each time steam installed gfwl for me and each time the game crashed upon start, the fault module being some component of gfwl.

The fix is easy enough: uninstall the screwed up version steam installs, get the official installer from microsoft. If I were a conspiracy nut I'd say steam is intentionally trying to generate bad press for Microsoft services....

Anyway is this the right place to submit a bug report? I don't need another reason to hate steam.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Satoru Mar 6, 2013 @ 7:13pm 
The version taht comes with most games isnt compatible with win8

You jsut need to download the latest version from microsoft

this has always been a problem since gfwl has historically been a fairly terrible product.
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 6, 2013 @ 7:14pm
Tidefighter Mar 7, 2013 @ 3:02am 
gfwl insteller doesn't get its outdated
Link Satonaka Mar 8, 2013 @ 9:51am 
Originally posted by Satoru:
The version taht comes with most games isnt compatible with win8

You jsut need to download the latest version from microsoft

this has always been a problem since gfwl has historically been a fairly terrible product.

Going wayyy off topic, I [would] like gfwl better than steam if they updated to be completely compatible with xbox communication.

I actually don't like steam, I use it against my will. I'm sort of at a grumpy peace with it now... but I avoided it for many years, when two games I bought off the shelf installed it for me when I popped the DVD in. No steam logo on the box, no warning. Bleh.

Steam is effectively functional adware, because it got me to buy about 100 games over this last year. I still do not appreciate ads popping up every time I exit a game though.

There are many reasons I dislike steam; the programming, the fact that it is DRM, the non compliant GUI (which causes issues with programs that transform/alter windows to behave a certain way). But the biggest fault is that you are required to start steam before playing a game. And steam is pretty slow to load. God forbid there's an update. Or how about how it installs directx and VC++ every freaking time I install a game? When the hell are they going to implement a check for that!? And the download speeds for games are fast, but the amount of resources steam uses to download a game is just insane- I can't do anything else on my laptop until I lower steam's process priority! Though the effect isn't as noticeable on my desktop's SSD, I paid a lot of money and did a lot of research to build that computer, and the fact that a download is noticeably impacting performance at all is disturbing. Hell, even EA's origin downloads nearly as fast as steam, starts up infinitely faster and uses infinitely less resources. EA, the personification of evil, made that!

Anyway the heart of the issue: resources, and slow, fatness.

gfwl is a 411KB dll that is loaded by supported games upon start. It's not slow, in fact it's loading time is probably less than a few milliseconds. It doesn't require any action on your part, and if you don't like it you can simply turn off notifications and never see it again. This is how DRM should be done if we are required to have it! How is that system bad, and deserving of hatred more than what steam does? It doesn't make sense to me- I think most people are just die hard steam fans, and there's a bandwagon of making fun of the less popular project with no apparent basis.

All I expect of gfwl is that it doesn't increase the loading time of my games, and that it gives me access to live services. With the exception of being able to join a "party" it does just that. I understand that steam has a fancy browser and all that while gfwl doesn't, but I prefer lightweight and quick vs fat and bloated. If I wanted a browser, I could just minimize the game, which doesn't cause issues for 99% of games. I resent being forced to start steam up for every game, and inevitably wait for it to update or do whatever the hell it decides to do before I can get to my game. If the full bloated steam client were *optional*, and there was some sort of lightweight game DRM launcher made by steam, then I'd be happier. This is why I like and continue to use XFire- it's *optional* and much much lighter than steam. I choose to start it up, and it starts up faster anyway. Admittedly a little less polished in some areas, but they're working on a complete overhaul at the moment.

/rant
Satoru Mar 8, 2013 @ 10:08am 
I agree in that GFWL was a good concept but had bad execution in linking it with the only good thing about it which is Xbox Live.
Keonyn Mar 8, 2013 @ 11:13am 
Originally posted by Link Satonaka:
gfwl is a 411KB dll that is loaded by supported games upon start. It's not slow, in fact it's loading time is probably less than a few milliseconds. It doesn't require any action on your part, and if you don't like it you can simply turn off notifications and never see it again. This is how DRM should be done if we are required to have it! How is that system bad, and deserving of hatred more than what steam does? It doesn't make sense to me- I think most people are just die hard steam fans, and there's a bandwagon of making fun of the less popular project with no apparent basis.

All I expect of gfwl is that it doesn't increase the loading time of my games, and that it gives me access to live services. With the exception of being able to join a "party" it does just that. I understand that steam has a fancy browser and all that while gfwl doesn't, but I prefer lightweight and quick vs fat and bloated. If I wanted a browser, I could just minimize the game, which doesn't cause issues for 99% of games. I resent being forced to start steam up for every game, and inevitably wait for it to update or do whatever the hell it decides to do before I can get to my game. If the full bloated steam client were *optional*, and there was some sort of lightweight game DRM launcher made by steam, then I'd be happier. This is why I like and continue to use XFire- it's *optional* and much much lighter than steam. I choose to start it up, and it starts up faster anyway. Admittedly a little less polished in some areas, but they're working on a complete overhaul at the moment.

/rant

Wah wah wah. You're comparing Apples to Oranges here. While at their core they seem similar, Steam and GFWL are very different beasts with very different objectives and function. Also, my computer is nowhere near new, but Steam doesn't bloat my system or cause any significant slowdown or issue. You accuse people defending Steam and being on some bandwagon, when the only one with the apparent agenda and bias at this point is you (even admitting as much in your post).

I have nothing against GFWL and what it is and what it does aside from the ♥♥♥♥ poor implementation. Of course, implemenation is pretty vital to any product or project. I can come up with the most brilliant idea on the planet, but if I can't implement then it's garbage. Not to say GFWL is that bad, but rather it's just a shadow of what it should be or could've been.
Last edited by Keonyn; Mar 8, 2013 @ 11:15am
Link Satonaka Mar 8, 2013 @ 12:27pm 
Originally posted by Keonyn:
Originally posted by Link Satonaka:

/rant

Wah wah wah. You're comparing Apples to Oranges here. While at their core they seem similar, Steam and GFWL are very different beasts with very different objectives and function. Also, my computer is nowhere near new, but Steam doesn't bloat my system or cause any significant slowdown or issue. You accuse people defending Steam and being on some bandwagon, when the only one with the apparent agenda and bias at this point is you (even admitting as much in your post).

I have nothing against GFWL and what it is and what it does aside from the ♥♥♥♥ poor implementation. Of course, implemenation is pretty vital to any product or project. I can come up with the most brilliant idea on the planet, but if I can't implement then it's garbage. Not to say GFWL is that bad, but rather it's just a shadow of what it should be or could've been.

I think gfwl was more or less developed in a day and hasn't seen an update since, so yeah it could be better, as I said. However the implementation isn't really bad... not really sure what you mean by that. And my comment about bandwagon was not for those defending steam, but for attacking gfwl with little reason or provocation.

I'm aware they're different beasts, but that doesn't change the fact that both are required in their uses and one is less intrusive and more streamlined than the other.

As for steam bloat, normal steam operation doesn't slow anything down, but it is rather slow to start which is a problem, and while downloading a game it taxes the HDD heavily. Like, incredibly heavily. Not sure what it's doing. It was noticeable on my older computer, somewhat noticeable on my SSD, and my new laptop has a slow ish HDD by today's standards and steam murdilates it; the whole system is noticeably slower while steam is downloading. Which is probably why steam automatically stops all downloads when you start a game.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 6, 2013 @ 6:11pm