navijohal Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:22pm
Steam keeps crashing
Steam was working fine however now when I try opening it it says connecting account, then crashes.

any help would be appreciated thanks
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Daddio Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:25pm 
reboot your router

Press the reset button in for 15 to 20 seconds then allow 3 to 5 minutes for it to restart and try again
navijohal Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:29pm 
my internet works fine as i'm typing this from the same computer, do you think that will still help?
Daddio Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:32pm 
Yes :)
navijohal Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:43pm 
okay restarted router as well as computer not sure which one it was but it worked!

Thanks
Daddio Mar 7, 2013 @ 5:54am 
Enjoy :) and thanks for posting back, it helps others with the same issue
UberDaan Mar 19, 2013 @ 7:06pm 
***POTENTIAL SOLUTION (for some)

My computer was crashing when starting Steam (at 'Connecting to account...'). I had tried several troubleshooting steps, as recommended by the steam community:

- Deleted .blob file, launch steam (fail)
- Deleted all appropriate files in program files\steam folder, launch steam (fail)
- Rebooted Router, launch steam (fail)
- Manually opened Steam ports on Router, launch steam (fail)
- Allow all Steam permissions through Antivirus/Firewall (Norton360), launch steam (fail)
- Rebooted Cable Modem, launch steam (fail)
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled Steam, launch steam (fail)
- Roll-Back Network Card driver, launch steam (fail)
- Updated Network Card driver, launch steam (fail)
- Updated Video card driver, launch steam (fail)
- Run Norton360, Ccleaner, and Malwarebytes scans, launch steam (fail)

The last thing I did was run dxdiag.exe. When it failed (computer crashed), I restarted and re-ran dxdiag.exe. It indicated there was an issue accessing DirectInput. When I googled that, it seemed like a driver issue (game controllers??). I then uninstalled all my usb drivers, and reinstalled them...VOILA! Steam started up and is now working.

I think the last update had something to do with this failure (a driver verification call to a game controller on startup?), but check DXDIAG.EXE and see if you have any failures.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:22pm