Lamp Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:43pm
Install steam on SSD and games on HDD?
Is that possible? I want steam to load quickly but my SSD doesn't have enough space for all my games.

EDIT: Would "mklink" do the trick? I've never used it before.
Last edited by Lamp; Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:47pm
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
THE MARE Feb 27, 2013 @ 5:50pm 
Check out this tool: http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/

So you can swap games between your SSD and your regular HDD. It's just using symbolic links but it makes it so much more convenient.
Last edited by THE MARE; Feb 27, 2013 @ 5:51pm
Lamp Feb 27, 2013 @ 6:58pm 
That seems like a simpler way than using the cmd prompt method. Thanks.
=>WuE<= 200_Puls Feb 27, 2013 @ 10:07pm 
You can do that with Steam itself. Check out the Steam Library folders in "Settings -> Download + Cloud". You can define additional folder on seperate hdd into which Steam will install the games. You have the chance to choose between the folders while installing the game. Be aware though that it might not work for every game as this is a feature of the new Content System which has not yet been enabled for all games.
THE MARE Feb 27, 2013 @ 10:09pm 
Originally posted by =>WuE<= 200_Puls:
You can do that with Steam itself. Check out the Steam Library folders in "Settings -> Download + Cloud". You can define additional folder on seperate hdd into which Steam will install the games. You have the chance to choose between the folders while installing the game. Be aware though that it might not work for every game as this is a feature of the new Content System which has not yet been enabled for all games.

Yes, but using symlinks gets around the problem of not all games using the new content system, and this lets him switch games back and forth to the SSD. If you use the seperate drives option in Steam you need to move the game files manually and then find the right appmanifest (and you can have hundreds of those) and edit the location in that so steam knows where to look.

The steam directories option is better if you plan on never moving your game files after you've installed them.

With limited SSD space it's nice to move a game over to the SSD until you're done playing it and then move it to a storage drive.
The Knight who says "Ni" Feb 28, 2013 @ 5:41am 
Can you set this up with a RAM disk? I'm concerend with chewing up write cycles on my SSD.
LeVvE Feb 28, 2013 @ 7:16am 
Originally posted by The knight who says "Ni":
Can you set this up with a RAM disk? I'm concerend with chewing up write cycles on my SSD.
By the time your SSD is worn out you can buy a new one that is much bigger and faster for a lower price.
Spawn of Totoro Feb 28, 2013 @ 7:31am 
Originally posted by The knight who says "Ni":

You don't have a set limit of cycles. It'a not like there is a counter that stop the SSD from working at an exact number.

Just like a HDD is rated for hours of use. You know how many HDD exceed those hours? Every single one I have owned or that any of my friends have owned. Sometimes 2-3 times longer then what is stated.
Daddio Feb 28, 2013 @ 9:19am 
Yuo both have made valid comments, please don't get tied up on defendeng your own position, both can be correct :)

For Ramdisk help use Google is quite a specilised process
「C❤A」 Pocahawtness Feb 28, 2013 @ 11:00am 
I wouldn't bother. Just load Steam and the games on to the HDD. Really, the difference is very small if you have Steam on the SSD. It's not worth the hassle or worry.
THE MARE Feb 28, 2013 @ 11:50am 
Originally posted by TheBDK:
If you have games install on the hdd, steam will not start faster.
If you are not using offline mode, steam will not start faster.

Having steam on an ssd and games on a regular hdd is a total waste. Put both on the hdd.

Where are you getting this information from? I have games installed on my SSD and regular drive and Steam start up is almost instant compared to the long start up when I had it on a regular drive.

Steam does start up way faster if you have it on a SSD. I'll boot up my PC and have all my start up applications launch (Steam, Teamspeak, playclaw, origin, Spotify, precision x, and some others) launched in like 5 seconds.
Last edited by THE MARE; Feb 28, 2013 @ 11:51am
THE MARE Feb 28, 2013 @ 12:54pm 
Originally posted by TheBDK:
Originally posted by Spacecraft:

Where are you getting this information from? I have games installed on my SSD and regular drive and Steam start up is almost instant compared to the long start up when I had it on a regular drive.

Steam does start up way faster if you have it on a SSD. I'll boot up my PC and have all my start up applications launch (Steam, Teamspeak, playclaw, origin, Spotify, precision x, and some others) launched in like 5 seconds.
1) Having an ssd does not make steam phone home any faster.
2) Having games installed on an hdd instantly kills any benefit (if there were any) by having steam installed on an ssd as it still requires to scan for files to alter attributes on before starting up.

Ever heard of placebo effects?

Wow. No, this is completely wrong. It's not a placebo if there is a noticable 10+ second decrease in start up time.

And games DO load significantly faster when loaded from an SSD. Not all games really benefit from it, but games like Skyrim load much faster especially with lots of mods and it reduces load lag when you've got modified ini settings.

Clearly you haven't actually tried any of this on an SSD because it's extremely obvious the difference it makes. So why are you even commenting on it?

Anyways OP got the information he needed, and I'm not going to sit here and argue with someone that has no idea what they're talking about. I'm unsubscribing from this thread.
Last edited by THE MARE; Feb 28, 2013 @ 1:20pm
Lamp Feb 28, 2013 @ 3:16pm 
Thanks guy for all the help. I'm going to install it on my SSD and put the games I'm currently playing there for the load time advantage.
yeeyoh Feb 28, 2013 @ 3:20pm 
In answer to the 'edit' section of the OPs question. I'm using the mlink method to great success, it really isn't much of a bother to do, the addresses for the folders can be copy and pasted even using a command line and it works very smooth.
Of course I did this before steam added the option to save to other drives in non-beta, but some games can not yet use this option. So I'd recommend using the mlink for your lybrary and when installing a new game make the decision then.
Last edited by yeeyoh; Feb 28, 2013 @ 3:21pm
Lamp Feb 28, 2013 @ 5:52pm 
@yeeyoh Thanks for the info
Daddio Mar 5, 2013 @ 3:37pm 
SSD's DO have a faster load time, but if the game is on a HDD then it loads at the normal rate.

The playing of the game FPS is NO faster and can not be any faster, :)
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:43pm