sF77 Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:26am
Steam Overlay
Help! My steam overlay is not working and I went into settings and it says it's enabled.
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
FrazerJC Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:29am 
Ever thought about telling us what game(s) this is happening with?
sF77 Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:37am 
Originally posted by FrazerJC:
Ever thought about telling us what game(s) this is happening with?
CS GO, Sleeping Dogs. I don't know about other games but the problems started after the steam update.
Yoerokiller Feb 18, 2013 @ 1:21pm 
same here, sent an email to steam support. had it since new update, with all games here.
X2 Feb 22, 2013 @ 12:41pm 
Me too, recently, the Overlay just doesn't load in any game. I've now noticed this happens whenever Firefox is running or after it has been run once and exited (probably cause of some of it's left over processes).
Yoerokiller Feb 22, 2013 @ 1:17pm 
Think a patch will fix this soon.. not changing web browsers..
Scarface One Feb 26, 2013 @ 9:36pm 
And now I've been affected by this, too. No overlay in anything anymore. What the hell, Steam?
diNovoM Mar 2, 2013 @ 4:02pm 
A view minutes ago i also discovered the problem. Applies to CS:GO. In steam and game settings the overlay is activated. I tried disabling security software avast av and online armor (either there are no entries blocking steam). Also don't got any of the software listed here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9394-yofv-0014. Futher i didn't install any new software and restarted pc. Just stopped working while it worked an hour ago.

What i found somewhere else: a "gameoverlay.exe" is not active (just steam service) - but that topic is from 2010 and so i don't know if it is still valid. Okay there is an "gameoverlayui.exe" but it wont run if i start it before or while running a game.

Same Problem: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/864957183216902835/
Run as Admin doesnt help: http://steamcommunity.com/app/48000/discussions/0/846943514149268396/
Big Picture mode also doesn't help: http://steamcommunity.com/app/50620/discussions/0/864957182888833648/
Last edited by diNovoM; Mar 2, 2013 @ 4:52pm
diNovoM Mar 4, 2013 @ 4:13pm 
No answer yet? Can't try out new workshop maps cause of that. Also tried to use beta updates for steam and it still doesn't work.
Scarface One Mar 4, 2013 @ 4:24pm 
The best I've been able to find is that, at least for me, it's a problem related to Firefox - if any Firefox window is closed while Steam is running, gameoverlayui.exe decides "nah I'm lazy" and won't run with your games until you restart Steam. Though today the overlay still wouldn't run even though I hadn't closed any Firefox windows before trying to run a game, so I don't know.
Yoerokiller Mar 5, 2013 @ 6:58am 
got this response

lease exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

- \Steamapps\ and \Userdata\ folders

- Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

If the issue persists, make sure your network is optimized for Steam
diNovoM Mar 5, 2013 @ 9:59am 
Thanks for your respond. It sounds promising but sadly it doesn't help. Any other thing i can test?
Hints for ppl trying that out: remember start options of your game, deactivate steam guard during the test (else you need to start a browser -or mail tool if this also applies to the bug- to check for the code in a mail, except you check on a smartphone/tablet etc.), and recheck steam settings - mine have been stored except the location.
Scarface One Mar 10, 2013 @ 5:31pm 
So far I have my overlay back. One of the suggestions I tried was participating in the current Community beta, since the problem started with a random Steam window thanking me for partaking in it (which I hadn't been at that time) and asking me to restart it. Seems that the beta update that went out around the 4th has fixed whatever's causing the problem for me, so far.
diNovoM Mar 11, 2013 @ 9:48am 
I already tried the beta version on the fifth. Also after i tested it today again the overlay is still not working. :(

EDIT: i got it back! It seems to be Emsisoft Online Armors fault. After i deactivated HIPS functions and restarted it worked, then i checked settings - all related programs where allowed to start, but still i set some from unknown to secure, activated HIPS and restarted and it still works. :) (also running with todays beta update - don't know if that matters)
Last edited by diNovoM; Mar 11, 2013 @ 6:19pm
WILDCORE Mar 16, 2013 @ 2:30pm 
Originally posted by Yoerokiller:
got this response

lease exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

- \Steamapps\ and \Userdata\ folders

- Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

If the issue persists, make sure your network is optimized for Steam

Fixed for it for me. Thanks!
Dainean Apr 9, 2013 @ 2:20pm 
I vaguely remembered something about a beta message popping up, and tried to fix this problem by turning on the steam beta test. Worked like a charm, can very much recommend it as a first way to attempt the fix
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:26am