yogurtnaut Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:14am
Update - Extracting Packages
Since last update steam wont work, it's stuck in update and "Extracting Packages" i've tried everything (reboot, Reinstall, Run as ADM...) and it simply wont work. I'm using Windows XP SP3 32bit and i've seen others complaining about this using different OS as well. Does anyone knows how to fix this?

---------------------EDIT--------------------------
Gregson89 found a way to fix it!! You only need to update it in the "safe mode"! (Reeboot nd press f8 when windows is booting up and then select Safe mode)
Last edited by yogurtnaut; Feb 22, 2013 @ 5:19pm
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
< >
NerdCustard Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:22am 
Well you're using a OS that isn't really supported any more I'm really not surprised if that is the cause of it. The only other thing I could think of is maybe disabling antivirus software if you have any.
Spawn of Totoro Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:36am 
Originally posted by NerdCustard:
Well you're using a OS that isn't really supported any more I'm really not surprised if that is the cause of it. The only other thing I could think of is maybe disabling antivirus software if you have any.

XP sill still supported untill 2014. Steam will not drop support of it untill Microsoft does.
-----
OP,
Did you try and re-download it?
yogurtnaut Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:42am 

Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
Originally posted by NerdCustard:

XP sill still supported untill 2014. Steam will not drop support of it untill Microsoft does.
-----
OP,
Did you try and re-download it?

Yep i did, more than once actually.
Spawn of Totoro Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:43am 
Originally posted by Therion:

Only other think I can think of is to contact Support.

Some things are hard to figure out without being there.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:43am
yogurtnaut Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:47am 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
Originally posted by Therion:

Only other think I can think of is to contact Support.

Some things are hard to figure out without being there.
Completely understand, thanks for the help anw!
HNNY Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:32am 
I had the same problem.I solved it by using CCleaner and then :
start->run->regedit->go to find->search for "steam"->delete all folders containing any steam related registries.reboot and it should work.it did for me
yogurtnaut Feb 18, 2013 @ 3:38pm 
Originally posted by ccs:
I had the same problem.I solved it by using CCleaner and then :
start->run->regedit->go to find->search for "steam"->delete all folders containing any steam related registries.reboot and it should work.it did for me
It didn't worked for me but i figured out a way to bypass this crappy patch. I used a virtual machine with windows 7 on it and downloaded steam there and just passed from on OS to the other. If someone wants to, i can upload the "updated steam" somewhere.

----EDIT----
Forgot to thank you for the help, haha. Sorry and thank you very much.
Last edited by yogurtnaut; Feb 18, 2013 @ 3:39pm
Juwar Feb 18, 2013 @ 3:50pm 
Hey Therion,

It would be much appreciated if you could post the updated client for everyone :)
yogurtnaut Feb 18, 2013 @ 4:30pm 
Originally posted by Juwar:
Hey Therion,

It would be much appreciated if you could post the updated client for everyone :)
Uploading it right now. ETA +-30 min. I hope i'm not breaking any rules...
yogurtnaut Feb 18, 2013 @ 5:05pm 
Here [www.sendspace.com] is the link as promissed. (Found a weird bug btw, start it using the steam.exe in the instalation folder, do not use a shortcut)
RedKoolLoops Feb 18, 2013 @ 5:37pm 
Therion, you are a life saver. That worked perfectly. I'm surprised nobody had suggested this earlier!

I created a shortcut of the steam.exe in said folder and simply placed that on my desktop for ease of access, as I'd suggest anyone who uses the manual installation method.

But seriously, thank you!

Last edited by RedKoolLoops; Feb 18, 2013 @ 5:37pm
Juwar Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:21pm 
Thank you very much Therion:)

Finally got it working.
Last edited by Juwar; Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:31pm
f0restw0w Feb 19, 2013 @ 9:06pm 
Somehow I cant extract the files from folder steam\backup
Last edited by f0restw0w; Feb 20, 2013 @ 1:05am
yogurtnaut Feb 20, 2013 @ 1:29am 
Originally posted by nicnok:
Somehow I cant extract the files from folder steam\backup
Guy, this folder ain't a steam natural component, try moving it to another place and run steam. if that doesn't work, delete everything in your steam folder but steamapps and steam.exe reboot and run steam.
f0restw0w Feb 20, 2013 @ 2:50am 
What i did was uninstall steam then delete everything in its folder. Then, i reinstalled steam and tried to put the files i downloaded from you. Tried opening steam but still got the "extracting packages" window.
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:14am