➳☣Ralkero☣➳ Feb 23, 2013 @ 4:26pm
Login Error - Steam Client Bootstrapper not responding - Any assistance is appreciated
I finally got my gaming rig back from a repair and I booted up to find all of my software still on it, to my appreciation. I launched Steam, it downloaded an update, I logged in and it came up with an error which I have never encountered before while connecting to my account. It reads as follows:
"Steam Client Bootstrapper
(buildbot_winslave04_steam_steam_rel_client_win32@winslave04) is not responding"

Below that was Windows 7 (Ultimate) offering to
1. Check for solution and close the program
2. Close the program
3. Wait for the program to respond

I have been trying to deal with this issue all day. I have an internet connection, undoubtedly. However, it is pathetically slow. (I'm talking kbps slow here). I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam, including the update (which is not optional, apparently). I have tried to login without a connection enabled (offline mode, enabled manually via creating a "steam.cfg" file and putting the proper command in it), which still did not do anything.

I have a feeling it might be my horrid internet speed, because it already disables me from accessing a few webpages. (mind you, I do not speak of a firewall when I say this. No sites are blocked, they just won't load on this internet. The assurance of this is that when I had a different provider a few months ago, the now-non-working sites loaded fine). I also doubt it is my internet, due to the fact that on a different machine, before the aforementioned update to Steam while installing it, this problem did not exist. So, right now, the most plausible cause in my mind for this issue, is that the update to Steam is causing the problem. However, this update also is somewhat unlikely to be the culprit, because my friend (who is on a different internet provider, for the sake keeping you fully informed) has never encountered this error. In fact, he does not recall Steam even installing the update my copy did.

As you can see, this is just a web of maybe and maybe not, and guesswork as to what is to blame for now. If you have any advice at all, please share it with me. Thanks.
Last edited by ➳☣Ralkero☣➳; Nov 4, 2013 @ 8:29am
Showing 1-15 of 233 comments
< >
siash69 Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:03am 
Dont worry its not just you, I got this problem on the 19th February and still have not had a response on my support ticket!! It is definately not your BB speed, I am with Virgin and get 75mb.
Kristof Claes Feb 25, 2013 @ 2:43am 
I've been having the same problem for a few days now too...
Pan-Man (Asian Bacon)™ Feb 25, 2013 @ 3:18pm 
I had the same problem yesturday
Crime M@n Feb 26, 2013 @ 12:31am 
I'm having the same problem :/
Bum Feb 26, 2013 @ 3:56am 
Same problem - had a ticket open since 18th February , really shocked by Steam on this, I've always been a huge fan but this is really poor service.
Bass Wolf 忍者 Feb 26, 2013 @ 9:16am 
Same problem, have tried every suggested solution I can find. Today's Steam update didn't help either.
➳☣Ralkero☣➳ Feb 26, 2013 @ 1:18pm 
I found a solution!!! Run Steam as an Administrator and in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.
Bass Wolf 忍者 Feb 26, 2013 @ 4:50pm 
Running Steam as Administrator and in compatibility mode does not stop the crashing for me.
Anamon Feb 26, 2013 @ 5:34pm 
The problem is a corrupt update file. I don't know if the download was corrupted, or Valve distributed a botched package. Considering how many people are reporting these problems now, I guess it's the latter.

Delete some of the more recent files in Steam's "package" subfolder. These are the updates, no need to do the whole deleting the entire Steam folder thing. Next time you start Steam regularly, it will redownload the updates, this time correctly if you're lucky.

It took quite a while but worked for me, Steam runs fine again now.
RAEIN Feb 26, 2013 @ 6:33pm 
Anamon~
The problem is a corrupt update file. I don't know if the download was corrupted, or Valve distributed a botched package. Considering how many people are reporting these problems now, I guess it's the latter.

Delete some of the more recent files in Steam's "package" subfolder. These are the updates, no need to do the whole deleting the entire Steam folder thing. Next time you start Steam regularly, it will redownload the updates, this time correctly if you're lucky.

It took quite a while but worked for me, Steam runs fine again now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brilliant, I ♥♥♥♥ing love you.
Bass Wolf 忍者 Feb 26, 2013 @ 7:05pm 
No dice, still getting the crash after a few tries at that.
Dankey Kang Feb 26, 2013 @ 8:34pm 
I had this problem today, I uninstalled the 2 latest update packages that were installed at the same time. Problem solved. I dont know if it works for everyone, but it worked for me
b4l0u Feb 27, 2013 @ 1:14am 
what i did is i have delete steamui.dll then run steamtmp it have update something then i close steam and run the normal steam.exe and it update again and work fine now
Bass Wolf 忍者 Feb 27, 2013 @ 6:13am 
Deleting the package files doesn't help. I don't have steamtmp.exe in my steam folder anymore, it disappeared somewhere along the way. When I did have it, running it didn't change anything.
Sly3x Feb 28, 2013 @ 1:30am 
Ugh...Can't connect to steam. Dumb error kept popping up.
Showing 1-15 of 233 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50