PAIN Jan 25, 2013 @ 11:00am
steam crash
my steam crashes and i dont know why i have good pc with all updated drivers and OS ( 8gb ram intel core i5 hd 4800 series )
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Komitsu Feb 3, 2013 @ 10:18am 
Mine does as well, I have had a ticket open with them for about 6 weeks now it took them over a week to even respond the first time and then they kept giving me the run around with fixes that I have already tried from doing research myself. Now instead of researching the problem they keep closing the ticket forcing me to re-open it over and over. I have never had a problem with Steam in the 6 years or so I've been using it until now. And their customer service is ridiculously horrible.
PAIN Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:13pm 
try to download the exe again and choose repair i did it and it fixed my issue u can try :)
Komitsu Feb 4, 2013 @ 5:44pm 
You are awesome (I think) lol. I have just been uninstalling and reinstalling fresh client downloads from the website..even following the directions customer support gave me in the ticket to use a third party uninstaller called Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall steam and then reinstall and steam client was still crashing in under 10 minutes every time I started it. This has been going on since December. But just doing the simple Repair option seems to have fixed the issue, at least it has been about half an hour now and steam has not crashed on me. Nothing else on my pc has changed, I have not installed anything new or uninstalled anything or started any other programs. So it must have been the repair install, I'm not sure if repair does something different than just installing the client again (i know it was super fast, but i also am using SSD) because I always just uninstall and reinstall. I've never used repair and it be successful when re-installing was not.
So needless to say if it doesn't crash on me tonight while I'm playing then I'll declare you awesome and many thanks to you. Otherwise I'll post another reply when it does crash and take back my awesome declaration. =)
Komitsu Feb 5, 2013 @ 4:44am 
well, unfortunately it did crash again at some point last night while I was downloading a game. But it did take several hours before it crashed, so I think there may be something to the repair install, but unfortunately it is not a permanent fix for me. =/
PAIN Feb 5, 2013 @ 8:47am 
Originally posted by Komitsu:
well, unfortunately it did crash again at some point last night while I was downloading a game. But it did take several hours before it crashed, so I think there may be something to the repair install, but unfortunately it is not a permanent fix for me. =/
it is ok man that happened to me 2 if u try to download it will crash except if u dont go to task manager and set steam to high performance :) btw dont download more then 3 games at same time it will crash again * or u can just wait sometimes it fixes auto) :) so dont give up
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Feb 5, 2013 @ 9:59am 
Steam rarely ever crashes, it just has a tendency to hang/freeze for up to 5 minutes...
Komitsu Feb 5, 2013 @ 2:13pm 
Well, it is weird, that first time I did the repair install it was good for several hours, the download was going for at least 2 hours. But sometime in the night while I was sleeping it decided to crash. I restarted steam and it was doing the crash in under 10 minutes thing it has been doing, so I rebooted pc and re-did the repair install, exactly how I did yesterday. But it is now back to the crashing in under 10 minutes.

@The Rolling Cheese - True, until big picture update. I have never had steam crash without a noticeable reason before. But it is not just hanging up for a few minutes now, it is closing itself down entirely when it freezes, or rather windows is forcing the entire program to close regardless of if I do not click "close the program" when it pops up.

I will try the task manager setting when I get home in a couple hours and try that, and I only download one game at a time since I have a slow connection speed.
Komitsu Feb 5, 2013 @ 4:52pm 
Setting steam to high priority in task manager did nothing. Steam is still crashing on me in under 10 minutes whether I am downloading a game or not. I don't know what else I can do, because it soft crashes there is no report of it in windows Event Viewer. I did however notice in the task manager that everytime it crashes a steamerrorreporter.exe will appear for a few seconds, so valve knows about my error and my ticket with my computers msinfo report has been active for nearly 2 months now, just waiting on them to release a fix (i know i'm not the only person with this problem) or tell me why my specific setup is crashing.
PAIN Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:16am 
Originally posted by Komitsu:
Setting steam to high priority in task manager did nothing. Steam is still crashing on me in under 10 minutes whether I am downloading a game or not. I don't know what else I can do, because it soft crashes there is no report of it in windows Event Viewer. I did however notice in the task manager that everytime it crashes a steamerrorreporter.exe will appear for a few seconds, so valve knows about my error and my ticket with my computers msinfo report has been active for nearly 2 months now, just waiting on them to release a fix (i know i'm not the only person with this problem) or tell me why my specific setup is crashing.
ok then delete .blob files in C/Steam or whenever is ur steam then u turn steam and see will it happen again after u reupdate it
Komitsu Feb 6, 2013 @ 8:09pm 
forcing steam to re-download the .blob files didn't help =(
Komitsu Feb 8, 2013 @ 11:46am 
DarklordxTri, I'll try that tonight sometime when I'm home.

I have to comment on how dumb steam customer support is, after 7 weeks of an open ticket and several troubleshooting methods, they respond today with a link to "how to update BIOS, drivers and chipsets". Are they serious?! I always do that first when I start to have any issues on a PC. Also, I mentioned it in my first post to customer support that I had already updated all of my drivers and BIOS. Steam customer support continues to astonish me with their stupidity and treating me like I do not know what a computer is.
Komitsu Feb 8, 2013 @ 1:30pm 
agreed. I believe they outsource customer support, which is almost never a good thing. Oh well.
Last edited by Komitsu; Feb 8, 2013 @ 1:31pm
PAIN Feb 8, 2013 @ 2:38pm 
it can crash also of ur video card ( as my games sometimes do..) has bad drivers or something that makes it crash
Last edited by PAIN; Feb 8, 2013 @ 2:39pm
Komitsu Feb 9, 2013 @ 8:02pm 
@DarklordxTri
I do not have iFrmxrk.exe in my list of processes, so I cannot try to end it and see if Steam works. My connection speed is fast enough for Steam, as I've had the same connection for the 7 or so years I've been using Steam. My firewall is completely open for Steam, but I've also tried booting with no antivirus/firewall enabled, per Steams suggestion and it still crashed on me.
jacky734 Feb 9, 2013 @ 8:46pm 
try to updated chipset on motherboard if you have asus motherboard go on asustek
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 25, 2013 @ 11:00am