Norroar Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:03am
Can't Connect To Steam Network
I've tried several things now, which includes but are not limited to:
- Deleting my clientregistry.blob
- Deleting everything but my SteamApps and Steam.exe
- Connecting using Windows Safe Mode (Internet)
- Updating my Windows
- Shutting down any program which might interfere (Skype, Spotify, S&D)
- Using TCP to make Steam change server
- Reset my router/modem

None of the above work, and I am at a loss here. I even tried to restore my Windows to a previous state, though that did not help either. I looked through several posts with connection issues, but I can't find any solution to it.

Breakdown:
1. I start Steam.exe
2. After a few seconds, the Steam Updater opens up
3. Steam Updater is stuck for ~5 seconds
4. Steam Updater closes down
5. Steam attempts to log into my account after 15 seconds
6. I get a connection error message, which neither allows me to log into offline mode or try a different account.

Please help, this is killing me :[
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
alejandro Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:16am 
I wish I could help, but need more details. I dealt with this issue a few times (with my PC and with my friends). I'll list the solutions I've found:
a) Is a ISP issue. My Issue blocked all port suddenly when they changed servers. Had to tell them to open again the ports needed by Steam (see the Help section "Which ports does Steam use" for a list)
b) Another issue happens sometimes with windows 7 64 bit version. If you already uninstalled Steam, install it again but with Windows in Safe Mode, and be sure to "Run as an administrator" (right click on it to see this option). After it installs, restart Windows normally and click on the Steam Icon again to run as an administrator.

Hope that helps!
Norroar Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:18am 
Yeah. Thanks -- I solved the issue. It was related to my modem (which I did not have full access to at the time). It had set its security level to maximum, so it would block all unknown connections, which included steam (and many other programs). I asked the owner of it to put it a level down, and it solved all the issues.

Thanks again, though! ^_^
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:03am