krayzeekris Dec 18, 2012 @ 11:28am
"Steam error failed to start game (missing executable)"
Played FEAR Extraction Point yesterday with no problems, just went to play it now and I get the above error. I checked the folder where the game files should be and the folders are there but they're empty! I found a suggestion to check the file integrity of FEAR:EP in Steam, which I did and it failed but Steam is now trying to download FEAR:EP again, all 7.5GB of it, though it's saying "Updating" instead of "Downloading" - pretty big update for an old game...

I'm really hoping my save games haven't disappeared - where are they stored? And is there any way to stop this from happening again? Hope it's not a Steam bug that randomly strikes from time to time
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
krayzeekris Dec 19, 2012 @ 5:38am 
Yes Fred, I've seen your copy and paste replies on other threads. I've already gone through the troubleshooting section and it's why I checked the file integrity. Still doesn't answer any questions though.

Thankfully the save games are kept in a separate folder which I made copies of. After the large download I'm able to carry on playing from where I left off but this still shouldn't be happening
Walt Dec 19, 2012 @ 5:55am 
Hi bud, I'm afraid I've not had an issue like this. It seems as though the FEAR.exe file has gone. With you saying all your files are gone it sounds as though something has gone wrong. The 7.5GB update sounds as though it is having to install all those files back again. What I would recommend is that you right click the game, select "Delete local Content". This uninstalls the game fully, you can then install it again and hopefully it should work fine. As for game saves they usually stay saved unless you personally delete them. I believe they are stored in the "Cloud" hense why an internet connection is needed but I'm most likely wrong.

Hopefully you've got it working now but if you haven't, I'd say give this a go. As I said, I haven't got much experience with this issue so I apologise, all the best.
Last edited by Walt; Dec 19, 2012 @ 5:56am
Pyrogenesis Jan 16, 2013 @ 8:22pm 
I got this message after I had to reformat my system drive (Windows 7). I reinstalled Steam to the secondary drive where it used to be and everything seemed fine, but I got this error message when trying to play games. Turns out I didn't have permissions on the steam\steamapps\common folder; try browsing to your steam\steamapps\common folder and make sure you have permissions.
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 18, 2012 @ 11:28am