Alex Dec 16, 2012 @ 8:08am
An error has occurred while installing [INSERT GAME TITLE HERE] (content servers unreachable)
An error has occurred while installing [INSERT GAME TITLE HERE] (content servers unreachable)
I am unable to download or install the vast majority of my Steam games. Even games that I have retail copies of (I have the CD) cannot be installed either. I keep getting the message: "An error has occurred while installing [INSERT GAME TITLE HERE] (content servers unreachable)." Oddly enough however, one game does download and install fine, that being: "King Arthur II, the Roleplaying Wargame". As well as this, I have tried downloading my games on another PC (with my account), and it downloads fine. I cannot use that PC however, because I it does not have good enough hardware to run most games.

To solve this myself I have:
-Rebooted from last known good configuration.
-Deleted all content & Re-Installed Steam.
-Attempted to Download without Firewalls
-Changed download region
-Connected to the internet via a different means (wireless etc)
-Changed download location

An example of what happens when I try to install a game via download:
Stays on this for ages: http://oi45.tinypic.com/2vabk2g.jpg
Then goes to this: http://oi45.tinypic.com/347k9rn.jpg
When I click "See the Steam support site for more information" I get this: http://oi46.tinypic.com/vwsbwp.jpg

Any ideas anyone?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Alex Dec 17, 2012 @ 9:02pm 
According to Firebind, there doesnt seem to be a problem with it...
Satoru Dec 17, 2012 @ 9:17pm 
Try changing your DNS settings

Also are you behind any kind of proxy via a school or work?
LeroMazino Dec 27, 2012 @ 10:52am 
Dude i have this exact same problem trying to install hitman absolution. Have you had any luck?
MikeD Jan 1, 2013 @ 8:16am 
Got this same problem when trying to install Skyrim and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (even though the games files are in my steamapps folder). Tried all of the same things OP has done without any luck. Hope this is temporary, otherwise I will never use Steam again.
MikeD Jan 1, 2013 @ 5:50pm 
Why create a new thread when there is already one created that is having the same issues? Seems more efficient posting in an existing thread...
Das Trey Jan 8, 2013 @ 1:10pm 
Originally posted by Satoru:
Try changing your DNS settings

Also are you behind any kind of proxy via a school or work?

I'm having the exact same problem as the OP and I'm using a school internet connection. What are the possible fixes for this?
starkillerjake Feb 15, 2013 @ 5:29am 
Originally posted by Fredichu:
Go through this:
Troubleshooting Network Connectivity

Otherwise try this:
Firebind Steam Test[www.firebind.com]

That dosen't work for me.
Alex Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:49am 
Problem is solved for me. I had IE configured to go through a proxy, which then failed.
As soon as I stopped IE from doing so, steam started working once again.
John Stamos Jun 25, 2014 @ 7:13pm 
I have the (content servers unreachable) problem. So what is the cause?
Catsyolo Apr 15, 2015 @ 8:19pm 
Anyone figure this out yet? I'm having this problem with Garry's Mod and it's ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ me off to say the least.
Alex Apr 16, 2015 @ 9:46am 
Originally posted by Catsyolo:
Anyone figure this out yet? I'm having this problem with Garry's Mod and it's ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ me off to say the least.

Are you configured to use a proxy server?
Catsyolo Apr 18, 2015 @ 10:50pm 
♥♥♥♥ idk
Same thing is happening to me. With PAYDAY 2, After the alesso heist update.
Jafar May 22, 2015 @ 8:48am 
hehe
John Stamos Oct 22, 2015 @ 7:08pm 
The problem with mine was a firewall set by my family members unknown to me. I have since taken it off, which has fixed the problem
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Dec 16, 2012 @ 8:08am