MajinCilos Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:56am
Punished by Steam for making purchases.
I recently purchases a lot of in-game Dota 2 Items from the store within the game. Three days ago, my account was locked by Steam "for my protection". I have submitted a ticket every day requesting that my purchase/trade ban be lifted, however it still remains.

My is Steam punishing me for purchasing their items like this? I do what they ask to lift the restriction and they ignore my ticket and leave me for days without being able to trade.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
SteventheSlayer Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:12am 
I've never heard of Steam locking a account for anything other then cheating.
I'm guess either you cheated, or your account got hacked.
MajinCilos Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:26am 
That's a pretty dumb guess after I told you why my account was locked haha. I TOLD you what happened and you guess other reasons...

If I cheated, I wouldn't be allowed to play. I am allowed to play.
If my account was hacked, I wouldn't be allowed to log in.
TeKraken Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:27am 
You will have to continue to work with Support.
They can take 2 to 4 days to respond (more if busy) so please be patient with them.
Making more than one ticket just adds volume to the open tickets and probably doesn't help.

I think I would rather have the minor inconveinience of having my account locked rather than some hacker or phisher emptying my bank account.

luckily you can still game! :)
Last edited by TeKraken; Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:29am
MajinCilos Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:29am 
They contacted me yesterday and asked for basic information to unlock my account. Basic information that any "hacker" could have after hacking said account. I gave them the information regardless and I'm still waiting. It's quite ridiculous.
TeKraken Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:40am 
So they've asked you for information and are not ignoring your ticket.
You'll just have to hang on :(
SteventheSlayer Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:02pm 
Originally posted by MajinCilos:
That's a pretty dumb guess after I told you why my account was locked haha. I TOLD you what happened and you guess other reasons...

If I cheated, I wouldn't be allowed to play. I am allowed to play.
If my account was hacked, I wouldn't be allowed to log in.
Obviosuly you misread my post.
I said that I've only heard of Valve locking for cheating, so I said that either you cheated, or your account somehow got hacked in a way that makes it looked like it's locked to you.
Tito Shivan Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:06pm 
Certain purchase behaviours can raise an automated flag, as they may look like someone making fraudulent purchases. In those cases the payment processing gets put 'on hold' until Steam (Or the bank, which implements similar measures) certifies the purchases are indeed legit.
They do it basically to avoid someone using a stolen CC (Or daddy's CC used without permission) to purchase hundreds of dolars in stuff, which then becomes a mess for Steam and the owner of the used CC.

You'll have to keep working with support.
MajinCilos Dec 6, 2012 @ 7:48pm 
Yet another day with no help. There's no way to "work" with support. I can't speak to them unless i'm spoken to. Valve has essentially hijacked my account until an undetermined time.

I WANT MY TRADING ABILITY RETURNED.
Cronic21 Dec 7, 2012 @ 10:15am 
hope u learned ur lesson, dont buy from em again.
tmwfte Dec 7, 2012 @ 10:20am 
Originally posted by MajinCilos:
Yet another day with no help. There's no way to "work" with support. I can't speak to them unless i'm spoken to. Valve has essentially hijacked my account until an undetermined time.

I WANT MY TRADING ABILITY RETURNED.

Read the SSA -- http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

They can turn it off completely if they like. And not even give you a reason. All you can do is wait, it works at their time-table to verify that your account is not being used fraudulently, not yours.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:56am