DVD Player Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:32pm
Adware issue on Steam
Here's the thing: for maybe the past week or so, I've been getting these strange pop-up ads in my browsers: http://imageshack.us/a/img526/149/reportme.png

At first, it was just browsers. Adblock on Google Chrome removed the ads themselves for me, leaving only the little "x". I looked at the web-element of these little buggers, and this is what it comes up as usually:

<div id="_rjkkvyjkph" style="z-index:9998;cursor:pointer;position:fixed !important;position:absolute;left:3px;bottom:3px;width:300px;height:265px;text-align:center;margin:0;overflow:hidden;vertical-align:top"><div style="background-image: url(http://www.google-analytics.com/img/close-btn.png); background-color: transparent; height: 15px; display: block; background-position: 100% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;"><div style="padding-top:15px;"><iframe frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="300" height="250" src="http://beinhome.com/entry.html"></iframe></div></div></div>

Now, just to clarify: I've been scanning the poop out of my computer for viruses, spyware, adware, malware, you name it. I've used both Spybot: Search and Destroy and Windows Security Essentials; doing multiple updates and full scans for either. A while back I got one major virus, but that was taken care of. Unfortunately, the ads haven't disappeared and if my picture is to say anything, it's that the Steam client (not just the in-game browser) is no exception to this problem.

So, to clarify: I have scanned (multiple times) for viruses. I have checked the windows Host file. I have checked add-ons and extensions for my browsers. I have checked my LAN connection settings. I have checked so much and it nothing seems to be the problem, yet apparently there is a problem.

So if anyone has any advice they would like to offer, I'm very well open to it.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
DVD Player Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:16pm 
An update on my efforts (for anyone that cares): I went through my cookies and removed (ate) the ones that were either for suspicious-looking locations, or for sites that I do not remember going on/didn't trust. This had no effect. I've heard some things about browser add-ons, and while Flash, Java, and some Adobe stuff are really all I have; I did notice that I had a view too many Java's on the list and it looked a little suspicious. I'm going to look into that.
SnarKs Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:36pm 
Yeah I have a suggestion. Reformat the computer. Whenever I get a virus I dont even tolerate it, I reformat. I back stuff up I want to keep before doing so.

Thats my recommendation. Probably wont/dont like it either.
Satoru Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:47pm 
http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

Use this instead. However you need to do the following

1) Go to a DIFFERENT COMPUTER
2) Download the rescue CD
3) Burn to cd or to USB stick
4) Boot cd or usb stick on infected computer
5) Run scan

HOpefully this will clean your computer. If it doesn't or doesn't detect anything do the following

1) Boot from teh rescue CD
2) Copy off all your important files, data files, pictures, save games whatever
3) FORMAT the comptuer
4) Reinstall your OS

There is no other way around this. You are infected and if you cna't get rid of it you must format.

Afterwhich you should

1) ENable SteamGuard
2) Use yahoo or gmail
3) Enable SMS authentication on the email
4) Install anti-virus BEFORE you get infected
5) Ensure auto-update is running on your OS
6) Stop downloading shady things from the internet that got you in this pickle.
DVD Player Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:50pm 
Thanks for the help, guys; I'm thinking a reformat is in order. I already have back-ups of videos and music; although I'll have to wait until Christmas Break to do this. Rather not lose my school notes and assignments while I still need them. Thankfully all my games are on Steam/Origin; so I'm all safe for that.
Spawn of Totoro Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:50pm 
Originally posted by SnarKs -¤lζ¤- {SDL}:
I back stuff up I want to keep before doing so.

And move the virus with it.

Never us a backup from when you had a known infection.

---

OP, have you tried malwarebytes?
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Also, when you run thise programs, not it from safe mode. Many infections will run with the system to avoid detection.

Here is a link to free bootable AV iso files.

http://lifehacker.com/5962320/how-to-get-rid-of-a-virus-even-when-your-computer-wont-boot?utm_source=kotaku.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

Burn them using a safe computer, then have your computer boot from CD. They will run a scan and are seperate from your OS, so there is no chance of it being infected and bypassed.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:51pm
SnarKs Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:58pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
I back stuff up I want to keep before doing so.

And move the virus with it.

Never us a backup from when you had a known infection.

Done it several times, no issues. I usually copy pictures, videos, and save games. I will gladly accept the day it carries over the virus with it. Either I try and keep my stuff or lose it altogether.
Spawn of Totoro Nov 29, 2012 @ 4:01pm 
Done it several times, no issues. I usually copy pictures, videos, and save games. I will gladly accept the day it carries over the virus with it. Either I try and keep my stuff or lose it altogether.

Atleast you know the risks.

I don't think the OP does, and wanted to make sure he knew it.
DVD Player Nov 29, 2012 @ 4:23pm 
Don't worry; I thought of that already. These back-ups are from a few months ago, and this issue only arose in the past week or so. Not only that, these back-ups are sitting on a portable hard-drive that hasn't been connected since I retrieved these back-ups.

I'll look into running Malware Bytes via Safemode, and the Lifehacker topic before doing this, though. There have been some new additions that I would like to back up (music, videos, saves) that may or may not have been infected, so fixing those would be a better idea.
DVD Player Nov 30, 2012 @ 11:09pm 
I did the Lifehacker technique; followed it by the book. The scan found something, and renamed it (maybe I shoulda set it to "remove") and thought that might've gotten it. Launched stuff up, and say the same Steven Harper ad on Steam and the same click box in Chrome; but after that I haven't seen anything. So maybe I killed it? If I didn't, I'll just do another boot-scan but set it to "remove" and that should do it. It's not a system file, so it shouldn't do anything bad.

Thanks for the help!
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:32pm