jamesstreats May 29, 2013 @ 3:09am
Start Up Error
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice to get rid of an annoying pop up/start up/installation error I keep getting everytime I open my favourite game.

Looked around the old tinterweb and can find people experiencing the same thing but no fixes, apart from disabling UAC, which I do not want to do.

The error message is this =

Steam Clien Bootstrapper (buildbot_winslave04_steam_steam_rel_client_win32@winslave 04)

With it saying it needs to change files and what not.

Here are the circs:

New computer, W7 64 bit, installed the latest version of Steam and all went fine, had a look around what was new and looked for some new games (so it was all working fine at that point) and then went to install my old trusty Football Manager 2009 (yeah, I still play it, a lot) and I got the above message.

I clicked yes the first time and it ran ok, if a little slow.....but then when it happened again, I said no and it ran faster. I have said no ever since and the game runs perfectly but obviously this is really annoying. Also, I still get the "this game requires a special product key" pop up in the bottom right corner every time I run the game, and this is also annoying as it covers the "continue" button in the game......so each time I load it up, I have to press shift and tab to bring up the overlay and then click the "close overlay" tab to get rid of it.

As Ive said, the game runs perfectly without this need for "updating files" but it is just real annoying and grating on me having to do this every time.

I am sure someone knows what this is and how to get rid of it and would very much appreciate some advice.

Let me know if you need anymore information. Thanks.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
jamesstreats May 29, 2013 @ 5:31am 
Just to add:

1 - I can play the other game I have installed (well, re-installed from having bought years ago) which is GTA3 without any of these messages or issues.

2 - I just tried a "fix" that someone posted in these forums awhile back, which was a response from an official Steam Support ticket.

This was deleting everything in the Steam Programs Files folder except the SteamApps, Userdata and Steam.exe file.

But! upon restarting my PC (as the "fix" instructed) it instantly did a Steam update and has brought me exactly bacj where I am now.

Is the problem perhaps related to the fact the Steam.exe file is actually NAMED the exact "error" message I posted up there? (the buildbot04.winslave stuff)

Also, in that line of text I posted, it says "win32"......now I assume that means Windows 32bit, so given I am on a 64bit version of Windows, is that an issue?

Man, Im so lost.
Marble May 29, 2013 @ 5:40am 
This is UAC advising you that changes are going to be made by the application you're running. This is just the way the game was made and it happens in quite a few games. You can either put up with it, or disable UAC. Alternatively, you can try some workarounds like this:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/martinzugec/archive/2008/05/16/ignore-uac-for-specific-programs.aspx
jamesstreats May 29, 2013 @ 5:57am 
Thanks for the reply Canti, few things though =

1 - It doesnt happen on the other game I have installed, which says to me it isnt Steam overall but just its interaction with Football Manager 2009.

2 - I have disabled UAC and restarted everything but each time I start my PC there is a "Steam update" that happens and then when I start FM09, it has a pop up talking about "first time installation" and everything happens the same apart from the UAC type box asking for my approval to update stuff.

3 - I bought a Win7 32bit laptop a year ago and can run Steam and FM09 WITHOUT this issue/message coming up......so to me, it surely has something to do with the 32bit running steam not talking to my 64bit operating system correctly.

I cant see how it is a "UAC issue" because A: disabling doesnt actually achieve anything apart from stop the initial pop up/notification and then as I said above, it doesnt happen on my Win7 32bit machine WITH UAC turned on fully.
jamesstreats May 29, 2013 @ 7:52am 
Right, well just figured out how to TOTALLY eliminate this problem.....

How you ask? well, ignore the Steam client! lol

Just go =

Program Files - Steam - SteamApps - Common - *Name of Game* - *Launch Icon for Your Game*.

Loads it straight from there, without the Steam interface, so no update message, no buildbot rubbish, no asking for key's......just the game!

Just want to say a BIG congrats to Steam for making it so people who want to play games they have paid good money for (old or new, this isnt just because Im playing an old game.....but it shouldnt matter anyway) have to put up with all this annoying crap just probably because you cant be bothered to create a 64bit client for your platform.

Hope I never have to use you again....
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 29, 2013 @ 3:09am