Screamhurt Apr 10, 2013 @ 6:32am
Question
Hello. I want to buy one game second time (yeah, I know I'm mental). I registered the game so I wonder, if one game can be activated twice on same account. I mean, one game with two activation codes.

Thank you.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
BDK Apr 10, 2013 @ 6:41am 
You cant buy the same game more than once, however you can buy it as a gift and have it in your inventory. You can gift it to someone (obviously) and trade for other games etc.
Screamhurt Apr 10, 2013 @ 6:54am 
I forgot to say important thing. First time, I bought the game from Steam, so I have it there already. And this time, I want to buy it as a physical copy. So I won't be able to activate the game?
Spawn of Totoro Apr 10, 2013 @ 6:56am 
Originally posted by Screamhurt:
I forgot to say important thing. First time, I bought the game from Steam, so I have it there already. And this time, I want to buy it as a physical copy. So I won't be able to activate the game?

Nope. Since you already have a copy there. It will just say you already have this game.

Why are you trying to add the game twice?
-----
The only way to do this is to contact Support and have them remove the game on your account.

Please note, you will not get any thing back by doing this. When it is gone, it is gone.
«Gғм» Kid Of The Century Apr 10, 2013 @ 7:44am 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
The only way to do this is to contact Support and have them remove the game on your account.

Please note, you will not get any thing back by doing this. When it is gone, it is gone.

To be more specific BurtonJ said that they can't (or at least aren't allowed to) activate another copy of a third party game on an account which already have or had in the past the game.

The "when it's gone is gone" part is more relevant than one might think: once you have a non-Valve game removed from your account you can't re-activate another copy on it.
Screamhurt Apr 10, 2013 @ 7:52am 
That's a pity.
Screamhurt Apr 10, 2013 @ 7:54am 
I thought Steam is better.
«Gғм» Kid Of The Century Apr 10, 2013 @ 8:00am 
Except a specific case (which I won't tell you right now), why would someone get two copies of the same game?

Mind you, I said "same game". I think you might be able to activate a GOTY copy if you previously had a non-GOTY version of a game, for example.
Spawn of Totoro Apr 10, 2013 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by «Gғм» Kid Of The Century:
To be more specific BurtonJ said that they can't (or at least aren't allowed to) activate another copy of a third party game on an account which already have or had in the past the game.

The "when it's gone is gone" part is more relevant than one might think: once you have a non-Valve game removed from your account you can't re-activate another copy on it.

I've never heard that. Please post a link.

People have had games removed by Steam for other issues, and were ableo to buy a retail copy and add it to their account.

My understanding is that, even if you add a retail copy, you will still get the original key (so as to prevent bypassing VAC bans).
«Gғм» Kid Of The Century Apr 10, 2013 @ 9:34am 
I've never heard that. Please post a link.

People have had games removed by Steam for other issues, and were ableo to buy a retail copy and add it to their account.

My understanding is that, even if you add a retail copy, you will still get the original key (so as to prevent bypassing VAC bans).

Took me a bit but I found it.

Originally posted by BurtonJ:
Terminating a subscription doesn't result in what you are expecting.

If you need a new CD key for a previously purchased third party game, you will need to create a new Steam account.

I believe they have some sort of agreement with other publishers which ensure their users' accounts can get only one key. So the game key is "burned" forever once activated to an account.
IMO to prevent people to buy a physical copy of a Steamworks game (or a game that can be activated), purchase a (possibly cheaper) copy on Steam at a later date and re-sell the physical copy on the second hand market.
Tito Shivan Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:08am 
I vaguely remember something like that. And what you and Kid of the Century say can be not mutually exclusive.
Since a Key to 'Add a game on Steam' and a 'In Game Key' may serve different purposes, it may be that' in some cases, the deletion of a game on Steam, and the activation of a 'Add a game on Steam' key could happen on the same account (Regardless of the old key being forever lost)

However i remember the recent cases of hijacked ArmaII Keys (Via a keylogger inside a DayZ cheat) used to cheat, which got a bunch of keys banned on ArmaII servers. Those cases forced the users to go to a different account in order to re-purchase ArmaII. But this case in more a case of a 'In Game CD-Key'

However i still wonder what's OP exactly up to... WHY he needs to activate the same game twice on the same account.
Screamhurt Apr 11, 2013 @ 6:59am 
Thanks for explanation.

I will just buy one game twice, so I wanted to activate it second time. But when I see this, I will give the game to someone.

Again, thank you all.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 10, 2013 @ 6:32am