New PC controller with wrong button mapping and right stick wont control camera!!!
Okay so basically I've done all I can myself and no longer know what else to do so please I'm desperate. I bought a new wired controller today, along with an HDMI cord with the intention of gaming on my new HDTV. However I've had nothing but problems with it, it's a Spartan brand, Xbox 360 controller designed for Windows. It also came with an installation CD but it appears that it's only meant for computers with XP or older. Basically the problem is the buttons are all wrong. I press A and it thinks I press B. I move the right stick to the left and it thinks I'm pressing the left trigger.

I've checked all the hardware settings and I can't find any way to change what buttons do what, only calibration for the joysticks. The games I've mostly been using to try and get this working is Portal 2. I should also note that several months ago I bought a different third party controller from a different brand, and it worked perfectly. Every button was correct, but the left joystick was ♥♥♥♥♥♥ so I never use it, which is why I bought a new controller.

So I know that I can get a third party controller to work on my laptop with Portal 2 since I've done it before but this time I don't even know. The fact that a few buttons are off isn't so bad considering I can change controls in the settings, but only up and down works on the right stick. When I try to turn left and right it instead shoots portals as if I'm pressing the triggers. And there's nothing in the settings that will fix the joystick problem.

I've tried downloading new drivers and re-updating. I've changed the controls under Big Picture's settings. I've downloaded x360ce only to learn that Steam deletes it's files on launch. I've tried the console commands I know such as "exec 360controller" but it always comes up saying something like "unable to exec 360controller" even though I know it worked last time a couple months ago with the old controller. There must be something I haven't done yet or some really simple solution I've overlooked. Please can anyone help me?

And before you say "Use a mouse" you don't need to tell me a mouse is better, only a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ would say it isn't, especially in FPS games. But I plan to play games like Mark of the Ninja, which is extremely difficult to play with a keyboard.
< >
Beiträge 115 von 18
Also I don't know if this helps but I have an HP dv6 laptop with Windows 7.
Try plugging it into a different port. Worked for me when my buttons went weird in specific games.
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Canti:
Try plugging it into a different port. Worked for me when my buttons went weird in specific games.

Well when I put it in a new port it seemed to re-install the driver, but made absolutely no difference to the game.
I've plugged both my controllers in at the same time. The joystick is still munted on the old one but the buttons all work perfectly. When I go into game controllers from Control Panel and I see the list of controllers, I've noticed the older one is labeled as an Xbox 360 controller for Windows while the new one is simply called "Generic USB Joystick". This must have something to do with the problem, do I need to make my laptop think the new controller is exactly the same as the old one?
Isn't there a console command that will enable the joystick to to work when I move it horizontally? I've tried Googling for hours but found nothing.
Bump, please does anyone have a possible solution?
So I tried using x360ce again, putting the file with the exe instead of the bin and it fixed the problems with wrong button mapping in the main menu but in the game I couldn't do anything except pause the game with the correct button (start)
I used Pinnacle and downloaded the game profile for Portal 2. It fixed every problem with the controls except for the right joystick!!! When I was setting up the controller in Pinnacle, everything worked fine except it wont recognize the right joystick. When I press it in calibration it does nothing. And when I move it around in Portal 2 it works as the ABXY buttons. Like when I press it down I jump or to the right and I crouch. Does anyone know what the problem is?
CJSJ4 13. Apr. 2013 um 18:24 
If it's the controller I think it is you just need to press the big red glowing button. It seems to swap controller modes or something. If the left side of the circle is lit up then all buttons shoud be indipendant of each other. When the right side of the circle is lit up it's like the left stick acts as the d-pad and the right stick acts as abxy.
i have the exact same problem :(
Hey everyone, i had the same problem and I fixed it. if you are using joytokey i can help you
If you're using Big Picture mode, go to the menu, and select the settings using the D-pad. You should find yourself moving towards a menu about the controller settings. Here's where you can change the layout.
ахазаззаза
I am having the same issue. I tried Big Picture mode, it did change the button mapping for the Big Picture mode, but not for the games. here is my default configuration: A=X, Y=A, B=B, X=Y. I have tried Joy2Key, Xmapper (i think thats what it is called), Big Picture mode, in-game config, edit the .ini files. none of them work. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. otherwise, i have to fork out AU$60 to buy a microsoft Xbox360 Controller for PC. I dont want to do that.
hello i kinda have the same problem i got a Spartan PC Controller, and it comes up as Generic USB stick, i used Motionjoy and better ds3 to make it think it was a Xbox controller which absolutely worked for all buttons except for the stupid Rthumbstick, it reconises that up is left and right is down, and when i remap them in game, it changes the "camera up" to "right thumb-stick left" and vice versa "camera down" to "right thumb-stick right". its annoying to change it in every game when i had a ps3 controller work propperly but a pc controller made for PC doesn't.
< >
Beiträge 115 von 18
Pro Seite: 1530 50

Geschrieben am: 3. Apr. 2013 um 7:25