Mulqueeny Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:07am
Why is steam so slow?
So lately steam seems to be running really slow, and when I say slow I'm talking about anything to do with the community side of loading, such as the workshop when I click on things it just seems to take forever to load; and no before you say it's not my internet connection as it is almost instantaneous. The only way I manage to get it to work (for some strange reason) is whilst it is loading I have to click to library and then back to community tab. It never used to act up like this, anyone else having this problem?
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
L-r | Canti's Ghost Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:11am 
It's not just you. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it just keeps falling over.
Mulqueeny Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:14am 
Yes that's what it's like with me, I think steam need to do some serious updates with it's browser :/ Sometimes it does work smoothly but other times it's just terrible and frustrating.
eram Apr 3, 2013 @ 6:47am 
Youll need to change your Virgin Media DNS settings to get access to the community and most of the steam community features.

Check this thread for more info
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3101942

change to open dns.
Last edited by eram; Apr 3, 2013 @ 6:48am
Entity Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:01pm 
Originally posted by eram:
Youll need to change your Virgin Media DNS settings to get access to the community and most of the steam community features.

change to open dns.
Oh lordy, it seems to be working properly now *touch wood*! Had the issue for about a week and was having to keep refreshing the page, but since changing this it has worked. Thank you for linking this!

Out of interest, has anyone else using Virgin and Steam had any random sounds (I've had some kind of CoD Let's Play sound and Bioshock 1) come through their headphones/speakers? Heard it twice ever since the problem first arose, it may have been more but I don't always wear headphones (checked and have no virus or malware).
Last edited by Entity; Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:01pm
Dean Demon Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:30pm 
No problems with sound on VM here
stunik101 Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:40pm 
For the last five days i can barely get into my profile or community stuff, to get to post this message it took about five minutes for the page to load !
something is definately wrong.
DarkCrystalMethod Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:40pm 
Originally posted by Entity:
Out of interest, has anyone else using Virgin and Steam had any random sounds (I've had some kind of CoD Let's Play sound and Bioshock 1) come through their headphones/speakers? Heard it twice ever since the problem first arose, it may have been more but I don't always wear headphones (checked and have no virus or malware).

Yes twice this year(never had the problem before) I clearly heard what could have been a youtube video. The second one I remember clearly hearing Optimus Prime's voice yelling about leaving someone or something on Cybertron.
I had closed my browser 20 minutes before(gmail), played TF2, played some Jamestown and on exiting heard stuff.

I was in the TF2 chatroom at the time but wasn't in voicechat. I closed that window, it didn't stop. I also tried viewing different pages in the discusson forums but it didn't stop. I then checked taskmanager for flashplayer and/or firefox or other browsers, nothing suspicious there. Then I exited steam and the sound stopped. (Still nothing on screen. I suspect this was a delayed pinon-ad, I've never "seen" those either, but they're usually immediate.)

I also reviewed my browser history of closed tabs and windows and saw nothing suspicious.

Cox Low-speed cable in the OrangeCounty-ish area.
Entity Apr 3, 2013 @ 2:25pm 
Originally posted by DarkCrystalMethod:

I had closed my browser 20 minutes before(gmail), played TF2, played some Jamestown and on exiting heard stuff.

I was in the TF2 chatroom at the time but wasn't in voicechat. I closed that window, it didn't stop. I also tried viewing different pages in the discusson forums but it didn't stop. I then checked taskmanager for flashplayer and/or firefox or other browsers, nothing suspicious there. Then I exited steam and the sound stopped. (Still nothing on screen. I suspect this was a delayed pinon-ad, I've never "seen" those either, but they're usually immediate.)
I had no game open previous, only Steam in the taskbar. I'm glad it's not just me, it feels like I'm going mad when it happens, especially when nothing is showing up on any checks.

Now that you mention it it did sound like one of those pinion-ads, but there was no reason for it to be delayed as I hadn't had anything like TF2/L4D2 etc open.

The sound also stopped when I closed Steam the first time. Under the sound in the taskbar it was coming from Steam. Really odd, I thought it might have something to do with this.
Mulqueeny Apr 4, 2013 @ 2:29am 

change to open dns.

Hey so I followed that forum link and I got it to work so thanks for the help man, I tried using Virgin media DNS servers but that didn't solve anything then someone said try using google DNS servers and now it seem to be working smoothly.

So change your DNS servers on your router or modem to

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

Hopefully for you guys this should solve the issue as it has for me. Good luck and thanks again.
Last edited by Mulqueeny; Apr 4, 2013 @ 2:30am
Zeno Apr 4, 2013 @ 2:30am 
Originally posted by Mulqueeny:

change to open dns.

Hey so I followed that forum link and I got it to work so thanks for the help man, I tried using Virgin media DNS servers but that didn't solve anything then someone said try using goodle DNS servers and now it seem to be working smoothly.

So change your DNS servers on your router or modem to

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

Hopefully for you guys this should solve the issue as it has for me. Good luck and thanks again.
Works for me, thanks!
Nova ツ Chan Oct 21 @ 6:16pm 
Steam is really slow for me to, but the games work fine. i just exit steam and log back in and it usually works for me
Nova ツ Chan Oct 21 @ 6:18pm 
every time i open the market, it takes more than 10 seconds to load or buy an item. and it isnt my internet either. my internet is pretty dope
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50