Invalid_GamerID Mar 28, 2013 @ 6:16pm
Downloading is now a nightmare around here...Data Caps...
How am I suppose to continue enjoying my games on steam when I easily can go over data caps....games being as high as 17gbs...This is the area of cloud gaming ect, yet ISP's are now charging more than ever, and putting caps on it...how are we suppose to respond??? meh...I guess I have to start policing my games, since you aren't allowed to just use DVD's anymore...
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Spawn of Totoro Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:02pm 
Who is your ISP?
Invalid_GamerID Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:14pm 
we have mediacom...My router says we've used 456gb this month....and its been a mello month...eek..we have a 250gb cap.
Last edited by Invalid_GamerID; Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:14pm
Spawn of Totoro Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:27pm 
Originally posted by Sniper101XZero:
we have mediacom...My router says we've used 456gb this month....and its been a mello month...eek..we have a 250gb cap.

We have a 250GB cap too with comcast. We set our router to cut off all insternet at 200GB then do downloading after we up the cap to 240GB.

We never exceed our cap. Usualy around christmass we come close to it.

To save on bandwidth, we copy games to eachothers drives if one of us already own it.

If we exceed our cap 2 times in a year, comcast cuts our internet and won't give it back for one year.
Invalid_GamerID Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:34pm 
How much data does HD youtube streaming and netflix use? I'm afraid netflix would use a lot, and we have a lot of family members watching netflix throughout the day.
Spawn of Totoro Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:37pm 
How much data does HD youtube streaming and netflix use? I'm afraid netflix would use a lot, and we have a lot of family members watching netflix throughout the day.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-much-monthly-bandwidth-doe-136401

"Netflix Movies (HD): These guys are around 3.8Mbit, which means it's about 3600MB for a 2 hour HD movie.
Netflix Movies (SD): Each of these movies are around 500-700MB each, depending on the length of the movie.
Netflix TV Shows (HD): A 30-minute TV show will be about 1500MB.
Netflix TV Shows (SD): A 30-minute TV show will be about 400MB."
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:37pm
Kablam0 Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:37pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:

We have a 250GB cap too with comcast. We set our router to cut off all insternet at 200GB then do downloading after we up the cap to 240GB.

We never exceed our cap. Usualy around christmass we come close to it.

To save on bandwidth, we copy games to eachothers drives if one of us already own it.

If we exceed our cap 2 times in a year, comcast cuts our internet and won't give it back for one year.

I have Comcast with the 250gb cap as well. I don't worry too much about going over - but what I really want is Comcast to give me back my HD Clear QAM channels. (Boo,hoo - it's not easy being cheap).
Spawn of Totoro Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:39pm 
Originally posted by 19delta3:
I have Comcast with the 250gb cap as well. I don't worry too much about going over - but what I really want is Comcast to give me back my HD Clear QAM channels. (Boo,hoo - it's not easy being cheap).

I think Comcast is changing things though. Soon it will be 300GB + $10 for every 50BG over that for regular subscribers.
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 28, 2013 @ 7:58pm 
How am I suppose to continue enjoying my games on steam when I easily can go over data caps....games being as high as 17gbs...This is the area of cloud gaming ect, yet ISP's are now charging more than ever, and putting caps on it...how are we suppose to respond??? meh...I guess I have to start policing my games, since you aren't allowed to just use DVD's anymore...

Go big or move. Ask your ISP about a business connection. They cost more but are uncapped. Plus you don't putz around with 1st tier tech support if there's a problem. You pickup the phone and get direct access to an engineer who can solve problems while you're on the phone.

EDIT: You usually get better hardware, multiple static IPs (great for running servers), and faster speeds.
Last edited by [dirrty]gsharp; Mar 28, 2013 @ 8:02pm
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 28, 2013 @ 6:16pm