dogBear[54th] Mar 28, 2013 @ 12:25am
Steam Client Service was scanning my hard drive
Hi.

I am a software engineer and this morning as I was working on a project for my employer I was baffled as to why I could not recompile my code to an exe file. I went to the output folder and tried to manually delete the old exe that was there. But Windows told me I could not because the "Steam Client Service" had the file opened. I killed Steam and I was able to delete the exe and recompile my code.

What is going on here? Have I agreed to Steam scanning my hard drive by playing on their platform?

Regards.
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
< >
Rufus Mar 28, 2013 @ 2:08am 
Well this is troubling. First things first, check the agreement. It might mention something.
Looking at the possibilities, obviously, we have the idea that steam could be mass scanning everything. Lets hope not, I'd rather not get a bluescreen because steam's having a spat with svchost over who gets priority over file modifications.
Next up is the one I'd be least surprised about. Steam probably has underlying file scanning functionality that can be called by any steam-supporting game. You've got a game on your steam list that's just a little too regular and thourough in it's calling of that function, 'causing steam to randomly steal file-locks.
And last but by no means impossible, you've picked up some sort of corporate espionage virus that's embedded itself in steam and is actually trying to sell your source code to the competition.

Frankly, I'd uninstall steam on that machine and just use it elsewhere because "consumer privacy" is not sufficient for buisiness environments.
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 28, 2013 @ 12:25am