Vitdom Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:15pm
Steam just notified me that I was in the beta, when I am not?
I just received a Steam notification thanking me for participating in the beta, even though I am not in the Steam beta release branch. I thought the beta was opt-in? Going into Settings, it clearly says "not participating", and I know I haven't opt-in for the beta either. So it now ignores if I haven't opt-in for the beta? You should check this because if it's true it's a quite serious bug.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6223/weirdsteambetanotificat.jpg

(my system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, time GMT+1)
Steam client application
Built: Feb 14 2013, at 03:02:01
Steam API: v012
Steam package versions: 1360841030 / 1360841030
Last edited by Vitdom; Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:23pm
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Gluemola Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:17pm 
Same thing happened me and my brother and his friend just few mins ago.
Venatacia Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:31pm 
Just got a message saying "Thank you for participating in the steam BETA". Had no idea I was, beta for what ?
Vitdom Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:33pm 
Hopefully it's just a false alarm and that we didn't actually par......... *the message just got displayed AGAIN wtf*.....

Yeah, as I was saying... Hopefully it's just a false alarm and that we didn't actually participate in the beta, and that the message being displayed is just a bug itself.
Venatacia Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:36pm 
Steam has been updating things the last day or two, I just excepted, said it was an update - so I just thought...Hmm ok.
PainMaker Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:57pm 
why is that a quite serious bug? overreacting much?
you are the only one that have control over what beta you particpate on and of course you will never be in one automatically
after you accept this message and you check the settings you will obviously see that you are not in anymore, just ended
Wulfhound Feb 15, 2013 @ 5:16pm 
Yeah, well this bug kicked me out of an hour long play seshion with no save in Skyrim. Thanks Steam. You see my play stile is Hard mode because Dragons should be hard to kill. And when I do a quest dungen, I save at the enterace then another save after the quest is done, this way I have to play smart, and be carefull, thats just how I role play. But because of this BUG and a beta I was not in, I got kicked out of the game, fyi, game was still open but could not get the sceen back so I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del my way out. Again thanks Steam.

If I'm going to have to install the Steam service when I go out and Buy a fisical copy of a game, like Skyrim or Fallout Vegas, the least you can do is program it to not interupt me and cause me to waist my time.

Thanks for reading this rant, sorry for the misspellings, but I don't give two effs at this moment. Now I got to go help the ol lady with diner. You all have a good night.
Wulfhound Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:17pm 
Wonderfull, now I can't save at all, every time I try too now I CTD.
TokinStew Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:31pm 
I saw the same "beta has ended" message earlier today. I don't recall enabling beta for anything. Strange to say the least
ダンス火災 (Dansu kasai) Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:39pm 
It was a bug I'd bet. Steam has had a beta going of it's chat client, and when the beta ended all users regardless of participation seem to have been thanked for participating.
Noz Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:09am 
Have had a long civ game running in the background - only to have all players and the host getting kicked off the steam server with no chance for a save... Do better next time ty! :)
Username Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:23pm 
I have encountered this bug as well, it is annoying because it forces me to redownload a steam patch and restart steam over and over again. Please fix this VAlve!
Scase is KING of Narwhals Mar 18, 2013 @ 11:35pm 
I've been having the exact same issue for about the last 2 weeks+ steam keeps notifying me of a patch from Feb 25th that needs to restart to install etc. yet it never actually installs and keeps prompting me for it.

Any ideas?
Vitdom Mar 19, 2013 @ 12:32am 
Confirming that the Steam Client isn't actually in the beta, but announces as such when there is a Client update available in the stable release branch mode.
Last edited by Vitdom; Mar 19, 2013 @ 12:32am
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:15pm