Packrat Nov 3, 2013 @ 12:34am
How do I report deceptive practices to Valve?
I'm not going to name names here because I'm not trying to stir anything about, but just now I found a game that linked to another game's Metacritic score instead of its own (it should be pointed out the other game's score was over 20 points better). The developer also has a thread in the game's forum where they link reviews, and only the (few) good ones are cited.

Either one of these things on their own could be dismissed as an honest mistake, but in tandem they seem like... well, I don't know if it technically qualifies as false advertising, but it certainly seems intended to deceive people about what reviewers are saying about the game in the question.

I left a thread in the game's discussion forum letting potential customers know about this, but this whole thing doesn't seem right to me, and I wasn't sure if Valve wants this kind of thing reported to them, and if so, how one would go about doing that.
Last edited by Packrat; Nov 3, 2013 @ 12:35am
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Gus the Crocodile Nov 3, 2013 @ 12:53am 
The first is probably a simple mistake, but yes, absolutely worth bringing up as it is deceptive, intentional or not.

The second, though, is normal marketing. There are bad reviews for every game out there. Do you think every other developer publicises them? Pick up a book or look at a movie poster; they pick a few quotes that praise them, not a few that say it was boring. Nothing wrong there.
Packrat Nov 3, 2013 @ 1:06am 
Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
The first is probably a simple mistake, but yes, absolutely worth bringing up as it is deceptive, intentional or not.

The second, though, is normal marketing. There are bad reviews for every game out there. Do you think every other developer publicises them? Pick up a book or look at a movie poster; they pick a few quotes that praise them, not a few that say it was boring. Nothing wrong there.
It's the combination of the two that struck me as odd. I can't recall ever seeing a developer make a thread specifically for linking reviews in their game's Steam forum before, so that stood out on its own, and when combined with the incorrect Metacritic score it just felt... too coincidental.

Do you know if there's an official channel for making Valve aware of the wrong Metacritic score? I looked all around the game page and the Steam support options but didn't see anything that fit.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 3, 2013 @ 12:34am