IHazJuice Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:02pm
Help! Cant access Steam browser or Google Chrome or Internet Explorer!!!
I had some sort of virus on my computer that I had, and in order for me to get online on my computer I would have to do a survey. I knew that was an automatic B.S. So I had an friend of mine tell me to install Avira Free Anti-Virus. I downloaded it and the survey thing kept popping up. But it had to close itself once he did something to my computer, or I believe the virus just wore off. So when I installed Avira the survey came again, and then it stopped. It said "svhost.exe" has stopped working. Then i was able to do my normal things. Once I found the source of svhost. Avira, was able to fully complete its scan, afterwards I went into Google, Internet Explorer, Steam and non of it was working. For example, Steam simply says "Error Code: -138 Failed to load web page (unknown error)
Google chrome says "unable to access network"
Internet Explorer simply says " This page cant be displayed.

I have no idea what to do, I also uninstalled Avira and it did not work.
I uninstalled Google Chrome and it didnt work. I cant install it back because of the network problem. I do have Internet.

If you had a hard time trying to understand and you were willing to help, please comment on the mistake or English grammar I have failed to say, thanks. :beatmeat:
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Try running CCleaner to remove unneeded files. Most viruses are actually running from your browser history. After that, a really good anti-virus I suggest is Microsoft Security Essentials. It's not made by any third-party wanting your money, so you know it won't scam you.
IHazJuice Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:38pm 
Originally posted by NintendoJack:
Try running CCleaner to remove unneeded files. Most viruses are actually running from your browser history. After that, a really good anti-virus I suggest is Microsoft Security Essentials. It's not made by any third-party wanting your money, so you know it won't scam you.
Thanks for that suggestion.
I have tried doing that. Still no luck.
crunchyfrog Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:40pm 
Boot your computer is Safe mode, and run Ccleaner again. You could also use another utility such as Malware bytes.

Let them run and do their thing, removing the infections, then reboot again.
The only true cure to making sure a virus is gone is formatting your hard drive and reinstalling your OS. If it becomes that much of a problem, grab a drink and a bag of chip, it'll make for a fun evening.
Last edited by Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla; Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:41pm
crunchyfrog Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:49pm 
The only true cure to making sure a virus is gone is formatting your hard drive and reinstalling your OS. If it becomes that much of a problem, grab a drink and a bag of chip, it'll make for a fun evening.

There's no reason to go that far unless all other attempts fail.
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:

He's tried two anti-viruses and CCleaner... Either he is doing something horribly wrong, or this is one tough virus. Plus it never hurts to reformat, it might even boost performance in the long run.
Last edited by Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla; Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:53pm
IHazJuice Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:55pm 

He's tried two anti-viruses and CCleaner... Either he is doing something horribly wrong, or this is one tough virus. Plus it nevers hurts to reformat, it might even boost performance in the long run.
Hold your horses guys, Im attempting to do what CrunchyFrog mentioned. Besides, its going to be a long night for me. I can just let my computer out while I'm sleeping. I will be taking almost any chances.
crunchyfrog Nov 11, 2013 @ 11:05pm 

He's tried two anti-viruses and CCleaner... Either he is doing something horribly wrong, or this is one tough virus. Plus it never hurts to reformat, it might even boost performance in the long run.

No, he hasn't exhausted all possibilities yet - you HAVE to attempt to remove "embedded" viruses in safe mode, otherwise nothing will often happen.

Please ensure you're giving correct information.

No it doesn't hurt to reformat, but you cannot just throw that out there this early, especially as you have no idea the state of the user's data( how much they may lose, how much extra work, etc).

OP, if you want some more accurate details, I'll ask you to Google, as I've just taken my tablets and am off to bed.

In any case, let me know if you do get stuck.
Last edited by crunchyfrog; Nov 11, 2013 @ 11:06pm
No it doesn't hurt to reformat, but you cannot just throw that out there this early, especially as you have no idea the state of the user's data( how much they may lose, how much extra work, etc).

I can usually back everything up to my 32 GB USB drive. The rest of my hard disk contents are simply Steam games and iTunes media.

I try to reformat every 4-6 months to keep my hard drive in shape, but enough going off topic.

It's up to you OP, you could try to combat the virus and not go through the backup & reformat process, or just give up and pull the trigger.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:02pm