This topic has been locked
Steam Download Issues: Can't install or update games
I recently started having with a few of my games (Left 4 Dead 2, SpeedRunners), where they need to be updated but it wont allow me to. It tells me "Update Required" in the library despite me always keeping auto update on, if I go to the download manager and add them to the queue they attempt to start the download which then appears as 0 bytes/0 bytes downloaded, it then stops a few seconds later without doing anything.

I tried verifying the files but it doesn't do anything, it stays at 0%. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling SpeedRunners, Steam wont allow me to reinstall it, and now I can't play it at all. It comes up with an unknown error when I try to, the link to the steam support site tells me to verify the files, which I already tried beforehand and I wouldn't even be able to do it any when the game isn't installed. I tried to reinstall steam, it crashes my computer trying to create a start menu shortcut. This is the first time this has happened to me since I started using steam 2 years ago, does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm not sure if the problem is to do with my steam or just both games, L4D2 recently went free and it probably got an update, I'm pretty sure SpeedRunners updated recently too, but I've downloaded updates for both games in the past and I don't know whats gone wrong. I've also downloaded updates since this problem started, too.

EDIT: I fixed the problem, just going to repost how I did it in the OP:

1. Go to your steam folder
2. Delete every file inside except for the Steam.exe and the steamapps folder (which contains all your games)
3. Restart your computer
4. Open steam through the Steam.exe and update

It worked, but I'd be careful doing it. Make sure not to delete the steamapps folder, it'll take a long time for you to reinstall all your games.
Last edited by butter figers; Nov 16, 2014 @ 9:37am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Karca Jan 6, 2014 @ 10:56am 
i can not download left 4 dead 2 too, my download stops at 59%.
i already tried to reinstall, restart steam... nothing :(
M.E.R.Y.Y.L.L Jan 6, 2014 @ 11:06am 
same for me
Hydra_360ci Jan 6, 2014 @ 11:24am 
If it's an old installation, Steam will sometimes require an update that it won't do automatically. I think what they did was optimized the files to where they took up less space, because L4D2 used to be over 12 GB, and now it's only 7GB. Seems the only way for Steam Client to update such games was via the verify Cache' button or a complete reinstall.

The verification cache' menu, won't exit until the game is fully updated. So, if it happen to need to download 7 Gigs to make it fully updated, you won't be able to minimize the verify cache' menu until it's finishes downloading and installing those 7 gigs of data. So, your Steam Client is tied up until it finishes or unless you cancel.

As for your stuff about updates. Steam updates only work with steam games, and steam updates aren't available in file format. They are all managed by Steam. Retail updates aren't compatible, and if you've tried to install a retail update into a steam game then that's likely why you're running into problems.

So, to uninstall your games I suggest to first use the "delete local content" on the right click pulldown menu. Then when it's done, manually delete all the rest of the files that are in the game's directory (which is located in ...steamapps/common/(game directory) It could be that the files from the outside patches are staying in the directory and are causing conflicts with steam's gaming files.

As to reinstalling Steam Client.
Delete all the files and folders in your Steam directory except for the Steamapps foldier, and Steam.exe. Then double click on Steam.exe. Steam Client will redownload and reinstall itself.

As for a download stopping at X%. Try a different download region. Open up Task Manager go to networks and check that graph isn't flatlined at zero, if it's not then leave steamclient on overnight and see if there was any progress.
Last edited by Hydra_360ci; Jan 6, 2014 @ 11:28am
butter figers Jan 6, 2014 @ 11:59am 
I fixed the problem. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone as it was pretty extreme, and I'm sure a different solution would be better unless you have the exact same problem as I did.

This worked for me, on a PC

2. Delete every file inside except for the Steam.exe and the steamapps folder (which contains all your games)
3. Restart your computer
Reku Oct 22, 2014 @ 12:48pm 
Yeah the same ♥♥♥♥ is happening to me now, is there a way to resolve this issue?
The Stealth God Oct 22, 2014 @ 12:55pm 
Same here. Cant install Payday 2.
Reku Oct 22, 2014 @ 1:06pm 
So i did what Hydra_360ci and nothing worked
ModernRetr0 Nov 16, 2014 @ 7:50am 
well for me it is were i try to get the game and it just says 0byts of 0byts and it dosnt let me even finalize the files and it has been like this for 2 months
JMB Nov 16, 2014 @ 8:04am 
i have the same problem with cs go, at 1.2 GB / 4.4 GB .
please help, the download keeps suspending, whenever i run the download, it gets paused by itself after few seconds..
Ace of Spades ! Nov 17, 2014 @ 8:41am 
i cant download PAYDAY 2 it stucks at 208.2 MB please help me stucks at 2% ?

Last edited by Ace of Spades !; Nov 17, 2014 @ 8:42am
Rastavaray Nov 22, 2014 @ 10:21am 
Same issues here. I can't play Batman: Arkham Origins any more because it says Update Required. But 0 bytes / 0 bytes have downloaded. I've tried deleting my steam files and opening with steam.exe. It's still the same.
Mr.Gibson Nov 28, 2014 @ 4:54pm 
Originally posted by captaincool:
I recently started having with a few of my games (Left 4 Dead 2, SpeedRunners), where they need to be updated but it wont allow me to. It tells me "Update Required" in the library despite me always keeping auto update on, if I go to the download manager and add them to the queue they attempt to start the download which then appears as 0 bytes/0 bytes downloaded, it then stops a few seconds later without doing anything.

I tried verifying the files but it doesn't do anything, it stays at 0%. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling SpeedRunners, Steam wont allow me to reinstall it, and now I can't play it at all. It comes up with an unknown error when I try to, the link to the steam support site tells me to verify the files, which I already tried beforehand and I wouldn't even be able to do it any when the game isn't installed. I tried to reinstall steam, it crashes my computer trying to create a start menu shortcut. This is the first time this has happened to me since I started using steam 2 years ago, does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm not sure if the problem is to do with my steam or just both games, L4D2 recently went free and it probably got an update, I'm pretty sure SpeedRunners updated recently too, but I've downloaded updates for both games in the past and I don't know whats gone wrong. I've also downloaded updates since this problem started, too.

EDIT: I fixed the problem, just going to repost how I did it in the OP:

3. Restart your computer

It worked, but I'd be careful doing it. Make sure not to delete the steamapps folder, it'll take a long time for you to reinstall all your games.
I just Re-installed "Left 4 Dead 2" and it Fixed
kotsu. Dec 7, 2014 @ 3:50pm 
Yeah thanks dude. now i cant play anything because it says that i cant up date it because im not connected to the internet even though i am
try making a new user account on your computer like a new admin account because the downloads work for me on that new account but not on my old account but i can still play my games on my old admin account so that is fine with me
Azathoth777 Jan 11, 2015 @ 6:42pm 
Changing my Download Region (from Boston to LA) worked for me.
Steam>Settings>Downloads will bring you here and choose an area from a drop-down menu.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 6, 2014 @ 10:20am