Bodhammer Mar 5 @ 5:34pm
OMG - I suck with a gamepad...
So, last month I was at a friend’s house. He has an Xbox 360 and we tried to play BF3, i'm not a pro on the PC but I don't get own'd with BF3. I got owned with the Controller on the Xbox... Fast Forward - I just got a Xbox 360 Wireless pad and transmitter for the PC and tried to play Borderlands 2, a console port that is supposedly good with a game pad. I wanted to set the controller on fire - it feels so unnatural.

Here is my issue. I have kids and they are moving off the Wii. I have a buttload of steam games and thinking about a steambox/xb1/ps4 for the living room this year. Do I have to learn how to use a gamepad and/or am scarred for life with keyboard/mouse? (p.s. I'm old and have been playing FPS since Wolfinstein on a DX25...)

Help me OB1, you're my only hope.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Azza ☠ Mar 5 @ 5:43pm 
Online multiplayer FPS make a huge difference, the mouse allows people to aim ridiculously fast and with pinpoint accuracy. With the gamepad you get thumb rough accuracy.

Going from gamepad to mouse is a small learning curve and easy. However, going from mouse to gamepad is an annoying waste of time, depending on the game it has no additional value to learn. Once your aim is slightly off, it's often very difficult to make a minor adjustment in reticle position because of the dead zones in the analog stick responsiveness. Getting headshots 15 times in a row is a mission and a half, compared to doing the same on a mouse. So instead of adjusting your aim on a gamepad, you can adjust your right/left position to compensate, it's more about running and gunning or twitch sniping.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Mar 5 @ 5:48pm
Kablam0 Mar 5 @ 5:49pm 
You should see me 'play' Gears of War 2 on my 360 - you would witness a whole nother level of suck. I simply do not understand how others can get good at using a controller.

Sorry Bodhammer, I have nothing to offer you but my condolences. :)
Last edited by Kablam0; Mar 5 @ 5:54pm
Roland Mar 5 @ 6:00pm 
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Online multiplayer FPS make a huge difference, the mouse allows people to aim ridiculously fast and with pinpoint accuracy. With the gamepad you get thumb rough accuracy.

Going from gamepad to mouse is a small learning curve and easy. However, going from mouse to gamepad is an annoying waste of time, depending on the game it has no value.
I gotta say I disagree.
I have spent many many hours playing Unreal Tournament on PC for about a 4 year span, starting roughly 12 years ago. About 5 years ago I spent entirely too much time playing a certain MMO and my knuckles and wrists started to hurt. I quickly noticed anything faster paced than say CIV 5, generally, my kunckles and wrists couldn't tolerate for extended periods. So I returned to a controller. Having grown up always having consoles around and pretty much always owning at least 2, it wasn't completely unfamiliar to me.
Now playing anything except maybe RTS' feels more natural on a controller and typically my skill level is somewhere between "Moderately Good" and "This guy must be hacking".

OP, if you wish to improve your skill with a gamepad, I'd say start with Left 4 Dead. It was the first FPS I played after switching back to gamepads. (I say back, because I've probably played every 007 game on consoles) Getting the 360 controller to work with L4D seems to be a mixed bag though, for some it works fine, for others they have to hop through hoops. (I'd gladly provide support in either case)

And don't let naysayers discourage you. The kb/m elitists can claim superiority all they want, but they all feel a little dumb when at the end of a UT3 match I inform them I was playing with a gamepad.
_I_ Mar 5 @ 6:00pm 
i have a ps3 and wireless keyboard and mouse for it, but sony nerfed the keyboard in the new store, and the only game that supports the mouse seems to be ut3

needless to say it doesnt get used much
Bodhammer Mar 6 @ 10:00am 
Thanks for the comments, I know that this can get to be a religious argument and it is not my intention to start a flame war.

I will keep practicing for a bit and see if it gets a little more natural before I make my final decision.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 5 @ 5:34pm