Suikoden Mar 3 @ 10:31am
How is this allowed by Steam for ANY game?
So I wanted to play some Age of Empires 3 finally (it was backlog) yesterday, and I could not. Today, same thing. Reason due to the following:

*Failed to Contact CD Key Server*
Copies of AOE III: CC purchased starting this weekend may say "Failed to Contact Key Server". We are actively working to get new keys into the system and distributed to users. Thank you for your understanding.

This is the most dangerous thing for Steam and it happened. Game companies cannot have this issue. I purchased the game Winter Sale therefore I should be able to play it at any point I want to. I can understand if it were a online has to be on a live server type issue (Maint mode), but the above reason is not acceptable.

Why would this happen in the first place and what can Steam do to ensure customers who have paid already do not run into this issue moving forward?
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
TeKraken Mar 3 @ 10:38am 
It actually happens more than you'd think with digital distribution.
It all comes down to the amount of keys the publishers send over.

Short of having a counter on the store page I don't really know what can be done to stop it.
simu Mar 3 @ 11:42am 
Originally posted by Suikoden:
*Failed to Contact CD Key Server*
Copies of AOE III: CC purchased starting this weekend may say "Failed to Contact Key Server". We are actively working to get new keys into the system and distributed to users. Thank you for your understanding.

Does it say that anywhere on the store page, is there an official forum post with that text, or is that from your steam client?
If a or b I am blind, and if it says that only post purchase thats actually not cool, to say the least.

The only time I have seen something like this was when Microsoft killed GFWL and you could not move over your copy of Batman AC over to steam, because of reasons similar to this AFAIR. And that thing took at least 2 weeks to finally work, I believe, cant remember if it actually took longer.

Could this be a GWFL related issue as well, since this game (AOE3) is also being published by Microsoft and because of that also had, I suppose, gfwl requirements?

I don't own this, but Id be interested in knowing who actually is at fault here, or rather what the actual hold up is.. because it would kinda surprise me if valve wasn't able to automatically process & import a couple of thousand keys into the system in under five seconds.

Actual question, rather than just idle musings: Did you just purchase this, or did you literally have a local(ly installed) backlog nad just never even started the game once?
Last edited by simu; Mar 3 @ 11:45am
Suikoden Mar 4 @ 11:45am 
Never started the game once but it was bought winter sale. When I click Play or CD Key, it says the message. That's my choice on when I want to play it and something ain't right here. The official forum says that for Age of Empires 3 (so in my library under Age of Empires 3, I click community hub and it's the first message).
Suikoden Mar 4 @ 11:47am 
just checked now and it says issue resolved under there and I have a CD key

I guess the point still remains on how does this not happen again? One would not run into this issue with a physical copy so that's why it is frustrating. Happy though that it seems fixed.
Silicon Vampire Mar 4 @ 12:03pm 
It's actually MORE likely you would have issues with a retail key. we see posts all the time about a duplicate retail key. The store is the only people that can do anything in that case and they are generally unwilling to do so.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 3 @ 10:31am