Karrizzma Jan 3 @ 2:32pm
Was Steam hacked?
I heard it was hacked and I want to buy a game, but don't know if it is safe to do so right now. Is everything under control?
Showing 1-15 of 152 comments
< >
Suldok Jan 3 @ 2:32pm 
No it was not hacked.

It was attacked.
Karrizzma Jan 3 @ 2:33pm 
Originally posted by Suldok:
No it was not hacked.

It was attacked.

so is it safe now?
DukeMcFishy Jan 3 @ 2:33pm 
Steam is not hacked, it was attacked by a distributed denial of service attack (DDoS). It is basicly the same as blocking the door to a shop to prevent customers from entering in real life.

So yeah it is safe.
Last edited by DukeMcFishy; Jan 3 @ 2:34pm
Suldok Jan 3 @ 2:34pm 
Originally posted by Karrizzma:
No it was not hacked.

It was attacked.

so is it safe now?

Yes, it is safe.
One of Us, One of Us!!!!! Jan 3 @ 2:34pm 
not quite hacked but Ddossed. Ddossers are not true hackers and cannot access personal info. the derp group are not hackers as they do NOT have skill. calling them hackers is an insult to ALL hackers worldwide. the derp trolling group are probably elementery school children that think its funny to cause this havok and I would not brake if I saw them crossing the street. DEATH TO DERP TROLLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by One of Us, One of Us!!!!!; Jan 3 @ 2:35pm
Karrizzma Jan 3 @ 2:34pm 
Originally posted by Duke McFishy:
Steam is not hacked, it was attacked by a denial of service attack. It is basicly the same as blocking the door to a shop to prevent customers from entering in real life.

So yeah it is safe.

Mmmkays thank you! :D
Ergroilnin Jan 3 @ 2:36pm 
Too much drama?
Hello guys,

first of all, I am NOT going to flame any of you as I DO understand most points of view you guys have.

The point of the thread really is that I am curious as newcomer to Steam sales, just why there is so much drama going on atm and if something like this happens basically each Steam event or if this one is special (which it very well could be, according to internet, this was the longest Steam sale yet at 15 whole days).

I mean for those that missed their deals by waiting till 3rd January, each game under discount indeed had it's own countdown and all those that weren't extended had their ending date set to 2nd January so while I do understand that having 3rd of January on front page, I can't comprehend why so many people had this problem.

Also for the downtimes, I know that it is really annoying and nowadays rare to have some online content unavailable, but seriously the first time of downtime when L2D2 was free, the whole community was basically DDOSing the Steam for the chance to get their free copy (I will admit I did also.) and the second day just today for few hours was thanks to some ♥♥♥♥♥♥bag kid purposely DDOSing Steam. That can't be prevented fully, if someone truly decides to take down site for some time and they have the knowledge, they will most likely succeed. I don't know why most of the people hate Steam for this, when they were the victims. You seriously think they don't want our money?

It is true that I may be more forgiving or less accusted to Steam sales, thus I took the most logical solution and point of view to each of the problems and you all maybe were the same for the first few years, but in all honesty, I think that Steam still does awesome job and even though I understand that people need to complain when they are really let down, we all shouldn't forget all good things Steam brings us.

Just my 50 cents on this latest drama. Feel free to disagree or agree with me, I really didn't meant to upset anyone with this post and also perhaps forgive my naivety.
DukeMcFishy Jan 3 @ 2:36pm 
Originally posted by Karrizzma:
Originally posted by Duke McFishy:
Steam is not hacked, it was attacked by a denial of service attack. It is basicly the same as blocking the door to a shop to prevent customers from entering in real life.

So yeah it is safe.

Mmmkays thank you! :D

No problem.

The shop might be slow, but I bought a game a few hours ago while the attack was going on and it worked fine after a bit of a wait for the Steam shop to respond.
Last edited by DukeMcFishy; Jan 3 @ 2:37pm
Suldok Jan 3 @ 2:36pm 
Originally posted by Painted Doge (Broke):
not quite hacked but Ddossed. Ddossers are not true hackers and cannot access personal info. the derp group are not hackers as they do NOT have skill. calling them hackers is an insult to ALL hackers worldwide. the derp trolling group are probable elementery school children that think its funny to cause this havok and I would not brake if I saw them crossing the street. DEATH TO DERP TROLLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, let me see you interrupt Valve's servers so bad that the whole service has not been fully functional whole day.

They do it for the lulz.

And DerpTrolling has been attacking EA's servers, not Valve's.
Last edited by Suldok; Jan 3 @ 2:37pm
One of Us, One of Us!!!!! Jan 3 @ 2:37pm 
not quite hacked but Ddossed. Ddossers are not true hackers and cannot access personal info. the derp group are not hackers as they do NOT have skill. calling them hackers is an insult to ALL hackers worldwide. the derp trolling group are probable elementery school children that think its funny to cause this havok and I would not brake if I saw them crossing the street. DEATH TO DERP TROLLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, let me see you interrupt Valve's servers so bad that the whole service has not been fully functional whole day.

They do it for the lulz.
are you member of Derp Trolling?
DukeMcFishy Jan 3 @ 2:40pm 

I think he got it from a gaming news sites just like me. They're gloating on their twitter about it themselfs.
Last edited by DukeMcFishy; Jan 3 @ 2:40pm
NisseDood Jan 3 @ 2:41pm 

They do it for the lulz.

And DerpTrolling has been attacking EA's servers, not Valve's.
Gather big group of people.
everyone downloads Low orbit ion cannon and starts it at the same time.
Look mom! Im a hacker!
Suldok Jan 3 @ 2:41pm 
Exactly. Of course even though I understand people verbally attacking Valve because of their server stability, it is their job to serve customers and at the end of the day if the customers are not served, they will become angry which is happening at the moment.

But on the other side, you try blocking a DDoS attack on your server and see how that goes. If a botnet that is attacking is large enough, no one will possibly stop the attack, whether it's Valve or Microsoft.
ramjet_1963 Jan 3 @ 2:44pm 
Yay, We're back!!
Australia, amongst other countires, seems to be finally back on Steam after over 12 hours offline!
I read that a server somewhere,in one of those US states, was brought down, possibly be the Dos attack.
Thank you to whoever was able to fix it!
Suldok Jan 3 @ 2:45pm 

They do it for the lulz.

No, I am not a member of Derp Trolling. But of course since I do IT, I do like to read about network security.

As for me, I don't take anything seriously. I crafted my badges way before the end of the sale and now I am just laughing at these threads who are complaining. It is very entertaining.
Last edited by Suldok; Jan 3 @ 2:45pm
Showing 1-15 of 152 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 3 @ 2:32pm