thebiocreep Jan 31 @ 8:13pm
Steam does not disclose additiional DRM....specifically UPLAY.
yeah im ♥♥♥♥ed.
I purchased Might and Magic x legacy. It requires an additional installation of UPLAY to run the game requiring a verification of connection to run. An additional account is also needed.

This type of BS should be highlighted on its store page before purchase. I wish I could refund and remove this garbage. The harm has been done now, so its specifically my dumb a..

ok its off my chest. Rant /Off

I got pwned by Ubisoft.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
ONe_mOMENT Jan 31 @ 8:17pm 
May want to look at the store page again. on the Right*(no idea why i said left.. been using the mobile verson to long haha) under the languages supported it says "3rd-party DRM: Uplay". Though this isn't always the case admittedly, it is, at least for M&MX (others have it in system requirments).
Last edited by ONe_mOMENT; Jan 31 @ 8:18pm
thebiocreep Jan 31 @ 8:19pm 
i bought it while on my phone, I didnt see that on the phone.....but hey. I was pwned. haha. I wish the phone interface was better I guess.
Kablam0 Jan 31 @ 8:22pm 
Yeah, I just checked the storepage system requirements and there was no mention of UPlay as a requirement. Expecting customers to assume that every Ubisoft title requires UPlay is not good enough in my opinion, not to mention that not every Ubisoft game requires UPlay in the first place.

They really should disclose all non-Steam DRM on the storepage. I have had issues with UPlay, but overall I am neutral regarding the 'service', but I know that others would not make the purchase if they knew UPlay was a requirement.

Edit:
Oh crap, there it is under languages:

"3rd-party DRM: Uplay"

Very easy to miss. There needs to be a seperate 'DRM Requirement' listing that can be consistently easy to find.
Last edited by Kablam0; Jan 31 @ 8:27pm
thebiocreep Jan 31 @ 8:27pm 
yeah now on the computer i see the "small" fine print by languages that there is additional DRM. But when purchasing on my phone I didnt see or notice that on the interface just like it doesnt let you see reviews. I dont like additional DRM, and I only went with steam because it allows offline mode which is important to me. I really think additionall DRM should be highlighted by Steam.

The damage is done, I'm still gonna play it. Its the principle of the purchase to me that I avoid online constant DRM like sim city was, or the original Xbone intention with online always even though as far as I know Xbone removed its constant DRM online requirement.

Sigh.
ONe_mOMENT Jan 31 @ 8:37pm 
Originally posted by thebiocreep:
The damage is done, I'm still gonna play it. Its the principle of the purchase to me that I avoid online constant DRM like sim city was

Uplay doesn't require a constant internet connection. It has a functional offline mode.

Edit:- How to get into offline mode in Uplay:

Launch Uplay, at least once online to register / update game.
Top right of the UI is a Cog, and go down and Click settings
Got to the 2nd tab labeled "Network" and tick the box to always launch Uplay in offline mode.

Problem solved.
Last edited by ONe_mOMENT; Jan 31 @ 8:41pm
thebiocreep Jan 31 @ 9:12pm 
I did that and it states "this game cannot be played in offline mode. enable online mode to continue" or something to that effect. bleh. Thanks for trying to help though!
TastyToast Jan 31 @ 9:18pm 
i dont mind Uplay. its better than not having the game on steam at all imo. i wish origin would do the same thing.
=TGY=CloudGT4 Jan 31 @ 9:28pm 
Pretty sure if you launch UPlay, and let the game update, you can always play it in offline mode from then on. The problem maybe if it interests you, you won't get the uplay points. Which buy your special in-game weapons, or wallpapers. However ever Ubisoft Game I have bought on steam lets you know you need uplay to play it.
thebiocreep Jan 31 @ 9:44pm 
I got wifi again and updated. I lost wifi and it worked. Thanks for the replies. Im on the move alot so these kind of things can be a real pain in the .... Yeah. I havnt played Ubisoft games since...shadowbane? It works and thanks.

My point is still that with a clear notice on the store page I would not have bought it. I just have to pay extra attention to the fine print and check the store page before purchasing next time.

sometimes i get deployed to remote areas for a long time, so having the steam once and a while checking drm and not every time i try to play something is very nice. ive never had steam deny me play time even after a week or 2 without internet.
Nya` Jan 31 @ 10:19pm 
Let the mad and overdramatics flow through you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jP_d4Gd06c
ReBoot Feb 1 @ 1:04am 
Overdramatics? Everyone knows that of every Uplay account in existence, god kills a kitten. Daily. Twice. That's a scientifically proven fact!
thebiocreep Feb 1 @ 1:39am 
lol awsome. till they start requiring blood and "other" samples to authenticate....tin foil hat is on. Yes it is.
=TGY=CloudGT4 Feb 1 @ 10:30am 
I don't mind UPlay though. Ubi has a decent system there. Or maybe its just cause I am a total UBI fanboy.. lol
Jade Feb 1 @ 10:54am 
If you don't want the game I recommend you contact support. This is one instance where IMO support owes you a refund, since additional DRM is pretty important information.

I checked both the iOS and Android versions and neither one of them mention anything about UPlay.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 31 @ 8:13pm