Fat-Trucker Aug 18 @ 5:01pm
Why does Steam hold my computer hostage every time I try to reboot?
Not to be rude but this is my computer, and I am the administrator. Why is it that when i try to reboot Steam, it trumps my Admin access and tells me to wait?

What is steam exactly doing when i try to reboot, and to halts my command to do its agenda?

Would it damage anything if i wrote a batch file to taskkill Steam before it issues the reboot command?

I develop applications with “Node webkit” just like you guys. How the heck can you trump an administrators shutdown or reboot command?

TIA.

Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
_wilco Aug 18 @ 11:55pm 
Did you use the default install location of Steam (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam) and also the Beta-Client?
If the answer to both is "yes", that's your problem right there. The Beta gets a lot of updates I guess and everytime files are changed in C:\Program Files (x86)\ you have to grant it as Admin.
Doesn't matter if you are logged in as an Admin account. You'll still have to click "yes".
Only thing you can do, either turn off the Windows UAC (not recommended) or install Steam in another location.
Kikinaak Aug 20 @ 3:24am 
My guess would be flushing save cache and syncing with the cloud. The worst thing killing the process *should* do is desync your cloud saves from local. If its actually trying to update steam files itself when closing, thats just boneheaded. The proper place for that is on startup of steam, to avoid a conflict during the shutdown of a computer.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 18 @ 5:01pm