此主題已被鎖定
gibbousmoon100 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 12:58
-1 to Steam
1. I bought two copies of a game (not on Steam, but activated on Steam).
2. I tried to put them both on my account, assuming the second would be added to my inventory and I could gift it to a friend.
3. Steam not only didn't add it to my inventory; Steam DEACTIVATED the second code (marked it as redeemed), even though I already owned the game.

I gave it to my friend, and was embarrassed when he replied that I sent him an already activated code.

I bought two legitimate copies of the game, Steam. Luckily, the retailer was willing to send me yet a third code that I could send to my friend directly.

But really, don't you think it would have been nicer to warn me that I already own the game and can't add another copy to my giftable inventory, rather than unilaterally deactivating my legitimately purchased second copy?
< >
目前顯示第 1-15 則留言,共 31
EXE 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 1:05 
I don't have personal experience with this, but if it's true it seems like a major issue. Sometimes I forget exactly what games I have in my library. And my collection is tiny compared to some.
Solyc Cλndy 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 1:14 
Well, maybe Steam could add the game to your "Steam Inventory" and give to you the possibility of activate it on your library or send it as a gift. Woludn't it be a nice and easy solution? ^^
dirrtymartini 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 1:19 
> 2. I tried to put them both on my account, assuming the second would be added to my
> inventory and I could gift it to a friend.

That's what you get for ASSuming. Steam gives you plenty of warning about purchasing multiple copies of the same game. There are many links, articles, and other bits of information available that go into great detail about gifting games.

gibbousmoon100 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 1:22 
@[dirty]gsharp Yes, that's what I get for assuming that Steam wouldn't mark as redeemed a code that wasn't in fact redeemed.

Kind of like people assuming that you're capable of posting on a forum in a civil and/or helpful way, right?
最後修改者:gibbousmoon100; 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 1:23
Pheace 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 4:48 
normally a steam code for a game that you already own doesn't even allow you to use it, and it shouldn't mark as redeemed after that.

An exception though is when the versions are different. Like a complete version or something versus the normal edition.
gibbousmoon100 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 5:16 
That wasn't the case here. I bought two identical versions. One for myself, and one for my friend. I thought it would be nice to gift it to him through the Steam interface. Obviously that was a mistake. When I entered the second code, it told me "You already own this game!" When my friend added the code, he got a "This code has already been activated" error message. Just to be sure, I had him try both codes, and he got the same error with each.

I'm posting this as a warning to others. Be very careful if you have the same idea I did.

My friend theorized that this is a policy issue for Steam, and a way to combat the competition that comes from Steam codes being sold elsewhere. If this is true, then it's a pretty crummy way to treat your customers. But it might just be an oversight on the part of Steam. Either way, you get screwed out of your second copy.

So please be careful.
IAmATiredDad 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 5:50 
Contact support, if this is true. The second shouldn't have been activated, I've accidentally tried to redeem two copies of a game (I'm a indie bundle addict) on multiple occasions, and I was able to give away the copy after realizing my mistake.

If you're just trying to stir the pot, however, I think you'll reply to this refuting this as unreasonable.
Satoru 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 6:49 
What did you activate out of curiosity. YOur profile is mostly just indie bundle games to be honest. Unless you activated a 'different' code (HIB average vs HIB above average) then you'd activate both, so it really depends on WHAT you were doing.

2 keys for the same game ALWAYS give you the 'duplicate game' error. It's impossible to activate teh same game twice.

Retail cd-keys do not go into your inventory ever. This is due to licensing restrictions and all that.
最後修改者:Satoru; 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 6:50
Pheace 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 7:18 
引用自 gibbousmoon100
My friend theorized that this is a policy issue for Steam, and a way to combat the competition that comes from Steam codes being sold elsewhere. If this is true, then it's a pretty crummy way to treat your customers. But it might just be an oversight on the part of Steam. Either way, you get screwed out of your second copy.

So please be careful.

Your friend doesn't know anything about how Steam works then.
Keonyn ♣ 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 8:42 
引用自 gibbousmoon100

So please be careful.
The warning part is nice, but once you start spouting off about these theories and assumptions then you just start looking like a fool. You found an obvious flaw in the system, and it's great you chose to share that here, but we don't need your friends conspiracy theory that has really no credibility.
Xextreem 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 8:42 
xD buy in retail is already your first mistake. Sec some people are just dumb. And thirth you blame steam about this lmfao you buy a game at a retail shop and want full support of steam? wtf happend with you kids. And what game have you been active i see only indie games. 5 euro games :O
Satoru 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 8:47 
The only thing on your profile that 'might' be it is Fallout3 GOTY?

You should really be specific about WHAT game it is otherwise its really unhelpful from a troubeshooting perspective.

Any 'theories' about the reasons are pure speculation without the actual game involved. Your friends theory is simply untrue.
Mivo 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 9:51 
Whenever I accidentally tried to redeem a game I already had, and one time deliberately to see if I can add it to my inventory, Steam would not let me do that and displayed an accurate error message. The keys did NOT become redeemed/invalid.

So, you either encountered a glitch, you did something else or your friend's information is incorrect.
Tito Shivan 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 10:30 
引用自 Satoru
You should really be specific about WHAT game it is otherwise its really unhelpful from a troubeshooting perspective.
This.
Unless we get to know the exact title bought, this thread is nothing more than speculation about good & evil.
gibbousmoon100 2012 年 11 月 16 日 下午 4:38 
Sacred Gold from indiegala.com. The issue is already resolved, because they sent me a third code, and I knew better than to try and send it to him via steam this time; I sent it to him directly.

Nonetheless, I really appreciate the efforts you guys are going to to troubleshoot the issue! It's kind of you.

For those of you who chose this opportunity to shoot insults (e.g., [dirrty]gsharp, Keonyn, Xextreem), I hope you realize that being nasty only makes you look bad.
< >
目前顯示第 1-15 則留言,共 31
每頁顯示: 1530 50

張貼日期: 2012 年 11 月 16 日 上午 12:58
回覆: 31