macjimbob Oct 27, 2012 @ 12:02pm
Windows 8 app for steam
I've started using windows 8 since it's release yesterday and I really like it. It was a bit of a hurdle getting over the new interface but the speed and full screen tidyness is great. Is steam going to release a windows 8 app for the windows 8start screen? I would really like to see it.
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Epicbuilder333 Oct 27, 2012 @ 1:05pm 
You're Right They Should Release a App For Windows 8
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Oct 27, 2012 @ 2:19pm 
Windows 8 is work like Vista and 7. You should be able to use steam on windows 8 without problem.
Cyberfox Oct 27, 2012 @ 2:33pm 
I can confirm this. Steam is running without problems under Windows 8.
I think, there is no special windows 8 app (formerly metro app, the new name, i think, is modern UI) needed - but why not :)
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Oct 27, 2012 @ 2:36pm 
Originally posted by Cyberfox:
I can confirm this. Steam is running without problems under Windows 8.
I think, there is no special windows 8 app (formerly metro app, the new name, i think, is modern UI) needed - but why not :)

It is start screen actually.
Peter Oct 27, 2012 @ 3:19pm 
I can't get my Steam overlay to work in-game. Any advice?
krewmen666 Oct 27, 2012 @ 3:42pm 
since i downloaded windows 8 some of my games dont load up when i try to play. has any one had this problem?
Seawolf9er Oct 27, 2012 @ 7:23pm 
yeah i know would love a Steam App !!!!

Originally posted by tonyklingon:
since i downloaded windows 8 some of my games dont load up when i try to play. has any one had this problem?

only had L4D2 act up so far only had to install some updates to my video card as well as the game
macjimbob Oct 28, 2012 @ 6:11am 
the current 'desktop' steam works fine for me under windows 8, but I would still really like to see an app that works fullscreen, with tile updates and all the flashy new graphics windows 8 apps use integrated with the new windows 8 metro start screen. Something like the microsoft store that comes with windows 8. I've heard they dislike windows 8 but I think they are missing a trick if they don't make a metro app.
Purple Tentacle Oct 28, 2012 @ 12:41pm 
Metro apps are sandboxed. They can't download, install or launch other apps and they can only be installed via the "Microsoft Store".

A Metro version of Steam is therefore not possible, Microsoft is actively preventing any competiton when it comes to Metro (with the single exception of "browser" apps; or the EU would have had a field day. That's why there are or will be Metro versions of Firefox, Chrome and possibly Opera).

Unless Microsoft changes its policies (unlikely) a Metro version of Steam is simply impossible.
You may however, see a little "shop and chat" client like Steam's Android version for Metro - it will however, never be able to even remotely replace the desktop client.
macjimbob Oct 28, 2012 @ 4:06pm 
thanks purple I didn't know about the limited access metro apps have. That sounds disapointing but obvious I guess. Apple have been making a fortune for years with the strategy of keeping everything in house and I guess microsoft are now doing the same to remain viable. I guess the question is who's fault is it - Apples for starting it or microsoft for turning their backs?
SantagausS Oct 28, 2012 @ 5:51pm 
A full version of steam would be unlikely but there is no reason valve could not make something very similar to steam for android, a stripped down version of steam. In fact the only thing I would like to see is a live tile that looks good and cycles through things like messages from your friends, hot deals and community events for groups you are in.

Clicking on the icon would just take you to the desktop version of steam and the correct window,.
Last edited by SantagausS; Oct 28, 2012 @ 5:52pm
Dominus Primus 932 Oct 28, 2012 @ 5:54pm 
Windows 8 Chrome App has been released. Firefox Windows 8 app has been announced, don't know if it's been released. The Windows 8 Store app downloads programs and data, as day the Games app, News app, Mail app, etc. There is no Steam app yet because Gabe doesn't want to develop it. If Micro$oft tried to stop Steam for Windows 8 it would be legally actionable so I'm pretty sure they won't.
Purple Tentacle Oct 28, 2012 @ 6:34pm 
Originally posted by macjimbob:
Apples for starting it or microsoft for turning their backs?
I'm blaming the customers for actually buying walled garden systems. Windows RT is even worse, it's almost more locked down than iOS. Limited Metro apps via the Microsoft Store only - absolutely nothing else.

Originally posted by Dominus Primus 932:
Windows 8 Chrome App has been released. Firefox Windows 8 app has been announced, don't know if it's been released. The Windows 8 Store app downloads programs and data, as day the Games app, News app, Mail app, etc. There is no Steam app yet because Gabe doesn't want to develop it. If Micro$oft tried to stop Steam for Windows 8 it would be legally actionable so I'm pretty sure they won't.
Please read what I have written above. Even if Valve was fully determined to release a full features Steam Metro app (which they currently aren't, but that really doesn't matter here) - they simply couldn't. It's just not possible. The only Metro apps not fully bound by Microsoft's restrictions are browser apps (Chrome, Firefox etc.) - last time I checked Steam was more than just a browser.

Microsoft isn't stopping Steam for Windows 8 - the desktop client will continue to work perfectly fine as always. A Metro version however, one that can download, install or launch your games is currently simply impossible - actively prevented by Microsoft. You will also never see any Metro games on Steam for the exact same reasons.
Last edited by Purple Tentacle; Oct 28, 2012 @ 6:37pm
Satoru Oct 28, 2012 @ 6:54pm 
Given the lmitations on Metro applications a Metro integrated Steam application is unlikely.

Not to mention Gabe's public hatred for the platform is well established
OneBagTravel Oct 28, 2012 @ 7:00pm 
Makes sense for them to just port over Big Picture to a Metro app.
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 27, 2012 @ 12:02pm