pineapplefun101 Sep 10, 2012 @ 3:00pm
Will Steam ever make a new browser?
Since the new "Steam Big Picture" thing is coming out with a browser that seems to be extremely well designed why cant normal steam have a slightly adverage browser.. if they make a new browser i would say immediately "good-bye firefox"
< >
Showing 1-15 of 64 comments
.:Ω-420:. Sep 10, 2012 @ 3:12pm 
Seriously? If they would implement FF in steam than I'm fine with that idea but not some chromy crap or the damn IE from MS.Maybe some Webkit based stuff would be ok,too.
And some kind of completely new Valve stand alone browser would be whole another story.
♥ Sora ♥ Sep 10, 2012 @ 3:16pm 
As far as im concerned the ingame webbrowser is insecure. It breachs my security the moment I use it. So unless steam is willing to allow me to sandbox the entirety of steam, or just the web browser function it is completely useless and worthless to me. I cannot stop ads with it, nor can I impose very strict execution rules per item involved in a page. Untill it gains security features I will never use the browser.

Edit:
Even if it were ot use IE system rules, IE doesnt have proper security measures to prevent anything or everything from loading.
Last edited by ♥ Sora ♥; Sep 10, 2012 @ 3:17pm
JC vynn Sep 10, 2012 @ 3:17pm 
IE9 works just as fast as chrome or firefox (better then firefox actually) for me.
I would love to see support for your native or other browser over steams, or I would appreciate a better browser for in game at the very least.
Sep 10, 2012 @ 3:58pm 
Indeed, I wish they would use chrome for the in game browser
aiusepsi Sep 10, 2012 @ 5:04pm 
The guts of the in-game and Steam client browser basically is Chrome, FYI. It's based on the Chromium Embedded Framework.

In-game is never going to be quite as good as a regular browser just because it has the overhead of running on top of a full-screen game.
Sky Captain Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:04pm 
it's loading at the start very long. i dunno waht's the matter. maybe the firewall? stupid question i know. i'm just don't know much better
Conrad the Destroyer Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:32pm 
Try going to Internet Options, Connections, click on LAN Settings and uncheck "Automatically detect settings." Restart Steam.
em_t_hed Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:33pm 
so i was using the browser to go thru fb, and it doesnt let me watch yt videos ppl post because it doesnt have flash player.

that sux big ballz. i feel like i just got tea bagged there, because that was a major problem with the browser on the PS3 also!

i downloaded a photo from a friend and i dont know where that file went. nothing popped up asking me where i want downloads to go and i dont recall seeing an option in the settings to set a destination folder for downloads.
ゆき Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:40pm 
Originally posted by .:Ω-420:.:
Seriously? If they would implement FF in steam than I'm fine with that idea but not some chromy crap or the damn IE from MS.Maybe some Webkit based stuff would be ok,too.
And some kind of completely new Valve stand alone browser would be whole another story.
Steam already uses Webkit. Valve isn't going to use a proprietary browser in Steam. They just need to improve the performance of Steams browser.
Last edited by ゆき; Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:41pm
em_t_hed Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:47pm 
Originally posted by CandyTrox:
Originally posted by em_t_hed:
so i was using the browser to go thru fb, and it doesnt let me watch yt videos ppl post because it doesnt have flash player.
Maybe you should just download & install flash player? Yeah that'll work.

Buddy... Can you read? No. Stupid question. Obviously you can read. Can you comprehend what you've read?

Apparantly not!

i downloaded a photo from a friend and i dont know where that file went. nothing popped up asking me where i want downloads to go and i dont recall seeing an option in the settings to set a destination folder for downloads.

if i don't know where a photo file goes when i download it from within the beta browser, what makes you think im gonna know any better where the flashplayer dl goes?
JC vynn Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:15pm 
http://store.steampowered.com/gotflash
stop raging chill out and understand how foolish you were to not click on the video to go to this page (like most of us did)
Last edited by JC vynn; Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:16pm
em_t_hed Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:21pm 
Originally posted by Jared:
stop raging chill out and understand how foolish you were to not click on the video to go to this page (like most of us did)

The assumptions you make make you look soo stupid.

First of all, i wouldnt have known that the big picture browswer doesn't have flash had i not clicked on the video.

Secondly, clicking on the video did not take me to the link you posted. It took me straight to adobe's sight without a link for a file to download.

Thirdly, I am able to watch video in steam's store. So what would make me think that the steam client doesn't have flash support? Which is what the link you're providing is implying. It's for the client and not for the 'Big Picture Browser'. Oddly enough which is what the OP is referring to.
JC vynn Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:24pm 
Originally posted by Jared:

The assumptions you make make you look soo stupid.

First of all, i wouldnt have known that the big picture browswer doesn't have flash had i not clicked on the video.

Secondly, clicking on the video did not take me to the link you posted. It took me straight to adobe's sight without a link for a file to download.

Thirdly, I am able to watch video in steam's store. So what would make me think that the steam client doesn't have flash support? Which is what the link you're providing is implying. It's for the client and not for the 'Big Picture Browser'. Oddly enough which is what the OP is referring to.
Dude it worked for me i got flash in big picture. Did you bother to install what it offers in the link? should be for chromium or something. When in big picture you click on missing plugin.
Last edited by JC vynn; Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:31pm
pineapplefun101 Sep 11, 2012 @ 12:38pm 
Originally posted by .:Ω-420:.:
I'm not talking about implying FF into steam I'm just sayong that steam deserves a more well designed browser because most of the time i use it i cannot go into most of the websites i use such as youtube due to the fact it blocks that stuff for some reason and sometime when i click on a link i gotten from a friend in chat once it goes to the browser it automatically discards the link making it so i cannot refresh the page. and plus it just looks ugly
TheCodifier Sep 11, 2012 @ 12:51pm 

If Flash is not installed on your computer, then of course you will not have Flash in Steam. You only have to install Flash, then it will be available in Steam, Big Picture, Firefox, etc...

-----------------------

On another subject, what I notice in the Steam browser (same thing in regular mode and Big Picture) is the enormous quantity of ads all over the Web. It's been more than 6 years I use AdBlock Plus on Firefox and now Chrome that I nearly forgot that there was ads on the Web...

But when browsing with Steam, there they are.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 64 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Sep 10, 2012 @ 3:00pm