Dark Bison Sep 30, 2013 @ 3:44pm
Steam Big Picture is faster than the Steam App itself? (wouldn't mind dev input as well)
Is it just me or is the Steam Big Picture way more responsive when browsing through profiles,checking inventory or any major thing you would do directly on steam using the steam app itself? I'm just now starting to really get into big picture and that was one of the biggest pros I've noticed about it.

It just snaps to steam pages lightning fast, while on the other hand the steam app itself seems to be a bit more slower to respond to commands and will sometimes fail to connect to pages. I'm not complaining or anything its just I wish the steam app was as snappy as the Big Picture mode. Am not sure if the coding in Big Picture is optimized better or if it just does not have extra stuff running in the back ground but it is a joy to use, at least for me.

Have anyone else noticed it as well or have a different experience? I'd love to hear it
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Black Blade (card rain) Sep 30, 2013 @ 4:03pm 
I think its first of all as its more minimel and second of all its a new system... Steam app had a long way and i am sure has many unclosed loops you get over time... but big picture is young and there for has less loops that are open
thenewdiabolic Sep 30, 2013 @ 4:48pm 
I have the opposite problem. The Steam app works great but when I go into Big Picture Mode, everything takes a long time to load. I like the idea of Big Picture mode but it just runs way too slow for me.
Dark Bison Sep 30, 2013 @ 4:51pm 
Originally posted by Black Blade (Studying):
I think its first of all as its more minimel and second of all its a new system... Steam app had a long way and i am sure has many unclosed loops you get over time... but big picture is young and there for has less loops that are open

I am not sure if I understand your comment too well, could you please clarify? D:

But I do understand the first part very well. Steam has been around for a long time and one would think they would have optimized the app to run pretty fast by now, not sure why though. Web browsers can browse through pages steam blazing fast, but why can't the app do the same?
Dark Bison Sep 30, 2013 @ 5:24pm 
Originally posted by thenewdiabolic:
I have the opposite problem. The Steam app works great but when I go into Big Picture Mode, everything takes a long time to load. I like the idea of Big Picture mode but it just runs way too slow for me.

That is strange, I've always seem to have a slowish experience with the steam app itself, but steam works snappy with web browsers. Do you mind sharing your pc specs? Might can find a reason why steam is running slow for you.
Pimp Skinny #BGtoGE Sep 30, 2013 @ 6:37pm 
In Big Picture mode, moving slowly on me. I prefer the Desktop mode. At least for now.
Black Blade (card rain) Oct 1, 2013 @ 1:42am 
Originally posted by Dark Bison:
I am not sure if I understand your comment too well, could you please clarify? D:

But I do understand the first part very well. Steam has been around for a long time and one would think they would have optimized the app to run pretty fast by now, not sure why though. Web browsers can browse through pages steam blazing fast, but why can't the app do the same?
Ya sure
What i mean is as the usel steam app was here for a long time it can collect old programs and stuff that are not use no more... but as the time pass and it grew its harder to find them... some of them are not doing errors but do slow the process
But the Big Picture was made just lately is made from scratch so it is new and will have i think less programs that are not used on it
Like when you buy a new car or something (i don't own a car so more of guessing) after time it gets dirty and start collecting dust also its parts getting old and some stop working
Then the car start to slow down and become slowly less and less usable.... so i think its abut the same with steam (with a very big difference but i think you can get the idea)
ゆき Oct 1, 2013 @ 1:58am 
I'm fairly certain that Big Picture Mode uses your GPU to render the UI. So if your hardware is good enough it will feel very smooth and responsive. It may have the opposite effect on a low end PC.
Rockhead Gaz Oct 1, 2013 @ 2:20am 
I think it possibly feels more responsive because we interact and perceive it in a different way. In my experience, stuff that it has to open the browser for (achievements etc.) loads just as slow/fast as anything on Steam desktop, and other stuff, like friends lists don't require a second window to show like on the desktop client. It's design is just more intuitive and efficient in my opinion, rather than actually being physically faster.
Caramelao Oct 1, 2013 @ 5:18am 
I did not see any difference in loading times.
RixorDK Oct 1, 2013 @ 10:49am 
hmm.. interesting
Dark Bison Oct 1, 2013 @ 4:02pm 
Originally posted by ゆき:
I'm fairly certain that Big Picture Mode uses your GPU to render the UI. So if your hardware is good enough it will feel very smooth and responsive. It may have the opposite effect on a low end PC.

I'm actually starting to think that this might be the case here.
Dark Bison Oct 1, 2013 @ 4:05pm 
Originally posted by Rockhead Gaz:
I think it possibly feels more responsive because we interact and perceive it in a different way. In my experience, stuff that it has to open the browser for (achievements etc.) loads just as slow/fast as anything on Steam desktop, and other stuff, like friends lists don't require a second window to show like on the desktop client. It's design is just more intuitive and efficient in my opinion, rather than actually being physically faster.

For me it is responsive over the steam app itself, I'm not sure why but it just is for some reason. The steam app could take up to 3 to 2 seconds to load up steam pages while in the big picture mode for me it is instant without any wait time.

Demo Oct 1, 2013 @ 6:58pm 
Seemed to load the same for me.
Turian Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:30pm 
I never give the actual chance to big picture on steam. I try it today just to get a badge and it seems to be amazing. Maybe a little bit faster and more intuitive. Looks cool also. I think we should give it some time to get better but for now it works really nice.
Laptop65 Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:41pm 
No difference. Steam browser is Chrome based, so that may be a tiny bit faster.
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 30, 2013 @ 3:44pm