Centisteed Sep 28, 2013 @ 10:54am
SteamOS Exclusives?
Will we start seeing blockbuster exclusives on the 2014 Steam OS?
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
FrazerJC Sep 28, 2013 @ 10:56am 
I highly doubt it, especially as SteamOS is just a modified Linux Distro.
Nya` Sep 28, 2013 @ 11:32am 
Originally posted by FrazerJC:
I highly doubt it, especially as SteamOS is just a modified Linux Distro.
Trade-01 Sep 28, 2013 @ 12:45pm 
I would love this to happen. Mostly to show the middle finger to consoles with their Halo or Last of Us exclusives. I can dual boot to SteamOS no problem.
Sloppy Seconds Sep 28, 2013 @ 12:54pm 
Originally posted by YautjaZealot:
I would love this to happen. Mostly to show the middle finger to consoles with their Halo or Last of Us exclusives. I can dual boot to SteamOS no problem.

This would be very bad, segmenting your community is never a good thing. Plus, Valve has already stated "Everything that we’ve been doing on Steam for the last 10 years will continue to move forward", implying there is no intention of doing such things. The only thing that will change is increased Linux support.
Rockhead Gaz Sep 28, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
Originally posted by Sloppy Seconds:

This would be very bad, segmenting your community is never a good thing. Plus, Valve has already stated "Everything that we’ve been doing on Steam for the last 10 years will continue to move forward", implying there is no intention of doing such things. The only thing that will change is increased Linux support.

Agreed, exclusivity deals are not good. Fine, if a game's publisher happens to be a console manufacturer, they have to offer incentives for people to buy their console. But exclusive titles go against what Valve is trying to achieve, namely unity across the gaming community.
Centisteed Sep 28, 2013 @ 6:39pm 

I agree. For the haters, I guess they could have a limited exclusive. They have exclusives anyway so when poeple talk about the deals as not being good, Mr. Softy & Sorny are going to do it anyway to sell their Consoles. So why not have Valve doing? I don't get.
ゆき Sep 28, 2013 @ 6:40pm 
Exclusives are a disgusting thing that should never exist. For consoles or PCs.. exclusive contracts are nasty and they just harm gamers in general. They are solely created to benefit just the parties involved in the whole thing. Thankfully Valve won't ever do this.
Centisteed Sep 28, 2013 @ 6:44pm 
Originally posted by ゆき:
Exclusives are a disgusting thing that should never exist. For consoles or PCs.. exclusive contracts are nasty and they just harm gamers in general. They are solely created to benefit just the parties involved in the whole thing. Thankfully Valve won't ever do this.

lol. Well I'm kinda hoping they do. Gives me an incentive. I have seen Steam Editions of certain games, so there is that.
ゆき Sep 28, 2013 @ 6:52pm 
Originally posted by Centisteed:
lol. Well I'm kinda hoping they do. Gives me an incentive. I have seen Steam Editions of certain games, so there is that.

Steamworks is an optional tool developers decide to go with. Valve does not actively go out and tell developers or get them to sign contracts to exclusively release on Steam. This is the difference. If a developer just wants to do one platform that's their choice. However, once contracts come into place where a developer is forced into doing a specific platform then there are issues.

Granted Valve does Steam only releases and I don't like that myself. However, most Valve games do make it to other platforms and they don't do just "PC Only Release." Well, unless the game doesn't make sense on consoles such as Dota 2.
Python Jones P.I. Sep 29, 2013 @ 4:47am 
Kind of goes against the point of having an open OS.
bruffstar Sep 29, 2013 @ 4:53am 
Doubt it
Prom King Sep 29, 2013 @ 5:26am 
Every PC/linux game is already a steam exclusive.
Centisteed Sep 29, 2013 @ 6:53am 
Originally posted by Python Jones P.I.:
Kind of goes against the point of having an open OS.

It's not OPEN. It's "OPEN-NESS" duder.

Originally posted by Prom King:
Every PC/linux game is already a steam exclusive.

LOL. Well I still bought a boxed copy of Civ V Brave New World.
Finity0 Sep 29, 2013 @ 7:11am 
Originally posted by ゆき:

Steamworks is an optional tool developers decide to go with. Valve does not actively go out and tell developers or get them to sign contracts to exclusively release on Steam. This is the difference. If a developer just wants to do one platform that's their choice. However, once contracts come into place where a developer is forced into doing a specific platform then there are issues.

Granted Valve does Steam only releases and I don't like that myself. However, most Valve games do make it to other platforms and they don't do just "PC Only Release." Well, unless the game doesn't make sense on consoles such as Dota 2.

very true..when people say pc has many own great games like Dota 2 ,LOL and CS.

i mean really?? lol
Prom King Sep 29, 2013 @ 7:18am 

LOL. Well I still bought a boxed copy of Civ V Brave New World.

Is the game also availble for consoles. Does it have Steam DRM?
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 28, 2013 @ 10:54am