Humbug Sep 26, 2013 @ 3:56pm
SteamOS Optimised on Nvidia, AMD users need not bother with it?
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/09/25/steam-rolling-into-your-living-room/

As title, do AMD owner take it that SteamOS will not work properly on AMD GPU's? because a lot of the time where Nvidia are involved, that is the case.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Draco_2k Sep 26, 2013 @ 4:01pm 
I think this depends more on whether AMD are willing to work with either OpenGL or Valve.

SteamOS is just a Linux distro, after all.
Last edited by Draco_2k; Sep 26, 2013 @ 4:01pm
Humbug Sep 26, 2013 @ 4:07pm 
Originally posted by Draco_2k:
I think this depends more on whether AMD are willing to work with either OpenGL or Valve.

SteamOS is just a Linux distro, after all.

AMD do a lot of work with OpenGL, My GPU runs well on Linux.

This is more about Gaming with an AMD GPU where Nvidia have stuck their fingers in it, that almost always results in a disaster for AMD owners.
Last edited by Humbug; Sep 26, 2013 @ 4:08pm
Draco_2k Sep 26, 2013 @ 5:09pm 
Well then, here's hoping they reach out to Valve like nVidia did. I doubt Valve are interested in intentional sabotage with this project.
Humbug Sep 26, 2013 @ 5:41pm 
Originally posted by Draco_2k:
Well then, here's hoping they reach out to Valve like nVidia did. I doubt Valve are interested in intentional sabotage with this project.

They are already in every Game Console, AMD's open low level high performance 'Mantel' API is also designed so that Games Built on it can be easily cross platform ported.

I have no doubt AMD have already approached Steam or that Steam have approached AMD, Steam would do very well out of it if their interest is porting AAA titles. Mantel is Steams best hope for that, i'm sure Steam recognize that, i still worry that Nvidia will do their best to try and throw a spanner in the works and we all as Gamers, AMD and Nvidia alike will loose out because of it.
Draco_2k Sep 26, 2013 @ 5:52pm 
According to that "leaked" post on /v/, AMD have been hesitant to jump on board so far (unlike Intel who simply refused). Which isn't ideal for them but, hey, they have their hands full supplying the innards of both new console generations. Not the end of the world yet. OpenGL support in general ought to be the deal-breaker, and that's mainly nVidia's problem.

I remember the old days when Source games performed way better on my old Radeon card than the much newer nVidia one. That was fun.
Humbug Sep 26, 2013 @ 6:05pm 
I like the idea of Gaming on Linux, but for it to work well i think both AMD and Nvidia need to be there, without one trying to gimp the other.
Jiway Sep 26, 2013 @ 6:17pm 
Playing on linux seem's a good idea. But This Nvidia avantage is not true. AMD as a new low level driver who will come and since catalyst 12.4, they have made a lot for linux (principaly Ubuntu).
Surtur Sep 26, 2013 @ 6:38pm 
With their new Mantle API, AMD is poised to do just fine on SteamOS, as well as any other platform. As long as both companies pick up support for Mantle and/or OpenGL and the devs follow suit, we are looking at the fall of windows for gaming.
Spawn of Totoro Sep 26, 2013 @ 7:42pm 
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/864979883845036502/

There is already a thread discussing the SteamOS.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 26, 2013 @ 3:56pm