This topic has been locked
Panic Fire Sep 24, 2013 @ 12:49am
We need to change the name of the SteamOS
SteamOS is quite frankly stupid as a name. It doesn't roll of the tongue at all in fact. It seems bulky and doesn't set the mood. So rather we need a change. A change in the right direction.

I give you GladOS

Its short. It's simple. It's catchy.

Sign the petition now.

https://www.change.org/petitions/valve-change-steamos-to-glados#share
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Imperator Sickley Sep 24, 2013 @ 12:50am 
Signed!
Getty Sep 24, 2013 @ 1:20am 
you mad?
Imperator Sickley Sep 24, 2013 @ 1:26am 
Yes. He mad bro, he mad
ChrisB Sep 24, 2013 @ 1:46am 
No, SteamOS is more than sufficient and literally explains exactly what it is, although I do agree that they could have gotten more creative with it relating to the water/industrial theme of the platform and company.
Gus the Crocodile Sep 24, 2013 @ 1:56am 
But it isn't GladOS. And as much as I like GladOS as a character, Valve fronting major products with Portal references, when those products have nothing to do with Portal, feels incredibly tacky and exploitative, not far removed from when a movie you're watching zooms in on the character's watch so you can see the brand. "Hey, when you think about this product, remember the association with that thing you like!" I'm not sure even EA, Activision etc would stoop to that level of unnecessary cross-promotion these days.
Coookie Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:03am 
And the Steambox will look like a companion cube.
King Neal Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:05am 
That name is awesome for aesthetic reasons but terrible for business and marketing reasons. Brand name is important, as is the appropriateness of the name. "SteamOS" is perfect because it defines exactly what the product is and fully embodies the brand with which it is so closely associated. "GladOS" doesn't have nearly that much power, and most people would think you're talking about the video game character upon hearing it.

But hell, if this petition is somehow successful then the Steam Box should be called the Companion Cube.
Imperator Sickley Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:33am 
Oh come on you guys, do you really have so little humor? How can gamers be so dry? This is why I stopped playing games like Counter Strike...
Panic Fire Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:40am 
GladOS

To the unknowers, it will be an OS that is glad and happy to see you.

To the people that know it will be a hilarious jab

And to the crazies it will be a scary precursor to the end times when machines rule us all.

ChrisB Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:44am 
Sorry, I just don't find humor in these 'cutesy' things.
Redronn Sep 24, 2013 @ 3:46am 
SteamOS is the most obvious name, which as said, explains perfectly what it is.

To name it GladOS just to please Portal players would be bit silly.

They should've named it the John StamOS instead, and have his face as the default, and only desktop background.
💕 blackguy.tk 🐙 Sep 24, 2013 @ 3:50am 
GabeOS PLEASE!
Jeesus Sep 24, 2013 @ 3:54am 
Naming it GladOS would make as much sense as naming it "Gordon Freeman OS" or.. why not "FreeBeerAndCakeForEveryone OS"?

Just keep it SteamOS, it is as simple yet descriptive as it can get considering the product itself.
e8hffff Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:11am 
I like Steam-OS, not Glad-OS
Nova 107 Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:04am 
Why not PyrOS? Half-OS? Aperture? PortalOS? (lol seems mexican) ValvOS? CS-OS? AlienOS with AlienWare SteamBox? TeamOS? TF-OS? GreenLightOS? EarlyAccessOS?

No i prefer SteamOS or PyrOS XD
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Sep 24, 2013 @ 12:49am